• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 proof penny
2 2

116 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2021 at 9:42 PM, Just Bob said:

You obviously didn't get the fact that Kurt was talking to Travis Carpenter when he said that. He wasn't talking to you or about you.  So, you cussed at him for nothing. ;)

I have to agree with Just Bob on this one.  I just read this thread in its entirety and I believe you may have mistakenly mis-read VKurtB's post.  It was definitely not meant towards you Melissa in anyway whatsoever.  Sometimes you just have to read each and every post and the comments that are "quoted" from, and by, other members in order to follow and fully understand the conversation.  VKurtB did not do anything wrong here.  

Edited by GBrad

[The sad sorry fact of the matter is not one of you bothered to answer the crux of the young lady's question which, in substance, is:  How much 💰 do I need to remit to have what may turn out to be a valuable coin.  Now, if the highly esteemed member Modwriter states he paid a pittance for the exact same coin, without special attributes, I do not expect the OP to understand what I am about to say, but the coin is not a worthy enough candidate for submission consideration.

At the very least it appears to me the value of the coin, a common Proof 1958 Lincoln Cent, will not exceed the cost of encapsulation so as to make the submission cost-effective.   🐓

On 3/10/2021 at 1:01 AM, Modwriter said:

I picked up a 1958 proof cent for $2 at coin shop. It is my birthyear and may or may not send it in to get graded.

Well, Times-Up!  It's been over four months.  Did you or didn't you, what was the total cost, and exactly how did things turn out?

On 7/26/2021 at 5:03 PM, Melissa6456 said:

I just paid for a membership the $25 associates but they're different prices on grading depending on the value of the coun but if it's not been graded or verified it is double die or not then how do we know?

Well your photos from the op are missing so I cannot give any opinion on if you do or do not have a DDO, although the odds are against it.   As to your question you have to determine the value of the coin yourself and enter it on the submission form.   This determines the grading tier and the shipping insurance that NGC will charge when it is returned to you.   If you are 100% sure that you have a valuable coin then use the earlybird tier (up to $3,000 in value).   As you are claiming this to be a DDO have you checked to see if NGC will authenticate the DDO you believe you have?   There are many minor DDO/DDR and varieties that NGC does not authenticate.   As far as I can tell NGC does not list any 1958 proof coins in the list of variety proof coins that they will authenticate.   Here is a link to the Lincoln cent proof varieties that are attributed. List of approved proof varieties

On 7/26/2021 at 7:55 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Well, Times-Up!  It's been over four months.  Did you or didn't you, what was the total cost, and exactly how did things turn out?

Hello Quintus, my 1958 proof cent is still in its 2x2, along with few other gradeable cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters that I find in pocket change. Found a beat up 64-D dime today only because the vending machine rejected it. I was after a Otis Spunkmeyer choco chip cookie. Yes, the 64-D dime went into a 2x2. If it graded at PO1 I would be happy but it might get a no grade Genuine Details also. Maybe someday.

On 7/27/2021 at 3:02 AM, Modwriter said:

Hello Quintus, my 1958 proof cent is still in its 2x2, along with few other gradeable cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters that I find in pocket change. Found a beat up 64-D dime today only because the vending machine rejected it. I was after a Otis Spunkmeyer choco chip cookie. Yes, the 64-D dime went into a 2x2. If it graded at PO1 I would be happy but it might get a no grade Genuine Details also. Maybe someday.

Note:  The following is a response to Modwriter's inclination to submit a '58 proof he had purchased for $2. four months ago.  I sought his outcome...

You're a mensch.  (BTW, the last Warning ⚠️ I got was for "inappropriate" humor, and I thought about you. Nice to hear from you again.)

Back on Track:  one of the most difficult things to tell someone is, As lovely as your 50-year old Proof is, it is not worth the cost of grading.  Consider, I had a coin that was already graded which I submitted for cross.  It sat around unopened for six weeks, "grading and re-encapsulation" took another week, and it was back on the road for yet another week. $66. return costs for a grand total of $80+. (I valued the coin at a conservative $600.)   Nice hobby.

One final thought... It is said every man has his price.  My email option, unlike my fellow seven fellow P- members who shrink from interaction, is available for all to see and use. Response (other than comments) was zero.  Forty members here at NGC collect 🐓, any one of whom can avail themselves of the PM option.  In two years I got a grand total of two inquiries.

Aside: when a notorious druglord offered a multi-million bribe to police to allow him to flee to Costa Rica from Mexico, the new head of gendarmes had him extradited back and was made the same offer:  When he was told every man has his price, he was asked point blank: What is yours?  He leaned back, puffed on his cigar, smiled and said:  You are my price!. A sentence of 40 years followed.

The road to numismatics is fraught with peril. Learn as much as you can, ask questions, exercise due diligence, and as My Cousin Vinny once wisely proclaimed: Do not be afraid to walk away.  It's your hard-earned money. Make the most of it.   🐓

@Quintus Arrius Thanks for the compliment. lol. Nice to hear from you too. I guess I'm still remembered for my past "inappropriate" humor also. If any of the coins I had submitted last year graded MS68+, I would still be submitting, but they came back MS 65-66 and one XF45. I am happy for now saving and collecting in 2x2's. I actually enjoy the craftsmanship, i.e. the coin placement, stapling and labeling. I have to visit my LCS because I got a Kennedy half in change today and ended up buying the remaining eight and need 2x2's for three of them. I have much to learn about Kennedy half dollars now. 

@VKurtB  I do not believe I have felt as sorry for any new member as I have for this one.  Some of the terminology used by those who chose to respond to her is inappropriate for someone who, bless her heart, paid her dues and was virtually bum-rushed. If I were more knowledgeable and informed about the matter at hand, I would take her by the hand and show her the ropes.  In over four months she spoke up only as many times. She was silenced into submission. Some learned members resort to the one-size-fits-all  approach unaware it can be intimidating to someone new. @RWB's final comment was superfluous. It was we who did all the talking; the OP hasn't uttered a word since the Ides of March.  I have come to expect @VKurtB's "I'd rather be right than nice" stance but of all the 50 states this young lady could have been from I wonder whether My Cousin Vinny was aware he was addressing a fellow Alabamian.  If not, at the very least he should apologize for his unknowing, inadvertent insensitivity book-ended here at her expense.   🐓

Hey y'all (it's a Southern term...) I'm going to start a new thread, my own post, with a question (sorry if I hijacked this post.....I don't think I did.hm).  I'm back in Abalamaville (new home to the VKurt) and I'm starting to like this place especially if you could only see the house I'm staying at here on Lake Martin. I got to looking at some emails on the computer for boat and jet ski, I mean coin, sales.  Going to start a new post about a coin dealer/online sales that hopefully I can get some feedback on and if they are reputable.  Never bought anything online before but they have some decent looking stuff that interests me (if only I had the budget).  I look forward to hearing some good reliable feedback.  Thanks!

On 7/28/2021 at 3:35 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@RWB's final comment was superfluous.

Glad you thought it was "super fluid." I thought it was obvious - but at times that is necessary to refocus.

:)

Edited by RWB

[I am going to take the liberty of assuming we have hashed out all our differences achieved a guarded serenity of sorts and can now state with confidence @Alex in PA.the Cro Magnum guy, @RWB and last but not least My Cousin Vinny are once again, and forevermore, bosom buddies.  I also trust we will welcome all newts and newbies with open arms.]

Man, I love this place! 

On 7/28/2021 at 6:16 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[I am going to take the liberty of assuming we have hashed out all our differences achieved a guarded serenity of sorts and can now state with confidence @Alex in PA.the Cro Magnum guy, @RWB and last but not least My Cousin Vinny are once again, and forevermore, bosom buddies.  I also trust we will welcome all newts and newbies with open arms.]

Man, I love this place! 

If you watch Ted Lasso, I am a goldfish. I try to never let one even vehement disagreement completely poison my ability to agree on a separate issue. Sometimes I’m more able to do that than others. The new collectors are a difficult thing for me. There is a record lack of seriousness from recent generations of them, and that is always going to be tough for me to deal with. There is a minimum amount of “study” that I expect. I come from a generation in which a place like this would be like step 10, rather than 1 or 2.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:35 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@VKurtB  I do not believe I have felt as sorry for any new member as I have for this one.  Some of the terminology used by those who chose to respond to her is inappropriate for someone who, bless her heart, paid her dues and was virtually bum-rushed. If I were more knowledgeable and informed about the matter at hand, I would take her by the hand and show her the ropes.  In over four months she spoke up only as many times. She was silenced into submission. Some learned members resort to the one-size-fits-all  approach unaware it can be intimidating to someone new. @RWB's final comment was superfluous. It was we who did all the talking; the OP hasn't uttered a word since the Ides of March.  I have come to expect @VKurtB's "I'd rather be right than nice" stance but of all the 50 states this young lady could have been from I wonder whether My Cousin Vinny was aware he was addressing a fellow Alabamian.  If not, at the very least he should apologize for his unknowing, inadvertent insensitivity book-ended here at her expense.   🐓

Wow thank u.i know it went from coins to I dont know what very fast and thank u for not making fun of me.i just wanted to let people know that I wasnt born yesterday or the day before and yes I'm sorta new to this but that doesn't mean I've done my homework and that I lack in common sense.the reason I didnt wanna give up on that coin is because the man I bought it from told me it was a ddo and I was really hoping that it was.i think he showed a pic of the ddp but sent me a different one.ill never know but God led me to collecting.it wasnt me I never paid attention before and being a struggling single mom of course I'm gonna try as hard as I can but I also had replies that there was doubling and then changed their mind so you can see that was another reason but I've not given up by no means.ive already become a paid member of ngc 

On 7/26/2021 at 8:42 PM, Just Bob said:

You obviously didn't get the fact that Kurt was talking to Travis Carpenter when he said that. He wasn't talking to you or about you.  So, you cussed at him for nothing. ;)

I didnt cuss and he did reply to me saying he couldn't introduce me to his friend jack

On 7/28/2021 at 2:47 PM, VKurtB said:

Culturally, I will perhaps always be a creature of the Philly media market. Andrew Dice Clay was a mamby-pamby mouth, compared to how and where I grew up. We need to inform, first and foremost. If that’s too harsh for some, trust me, I’ve traveled the nation and parts of the WORLD in numismatic pursuits, maybe people with a sensitive nature need to find another pastime. The coin hobby is utterly frank and sometimes gruff. I’ve experienced it no other way, and I started in 1963. If we have to walk on eggshells due to modern day sensitivities, I’ll beg out.

U dont have to walk on eggshells I'm straight

On 7/27/2021 at 11:31 PM, Sharann said:

Well, I must say that I am a little confused, oops, I mean maybe YOU are. Neither of the instances you are complaining about were aimed at you. I think maybe you just got aggravated because you weren't told what you wanted to hear. I am sorry for your disappointment, but rudeness, as well as ungratefulness, is an even bigger disappointment to me. It describes your character and not just your lack of knowledge. I am not claiming to know anything about the coins, but I do know that these people are willing to offer their time, knowledge, and expertise to help you and all you can do is cuss and flip them off. That is very becoming of a lady. 

Oh I'm a lady alright and I dont know how u missed the I can introduce you to my friend jack stuff and I have more knowledge than u think and I never once used profanity I just spoke up for myself because I am a lady

On 7/27/2021 at 2:04 PM, JKK said:

My theory is that people divide into two broad groupings in how they address life stuff: some people are corner-cutters who just can't be bothered, and others insist upon doing things right. (The contracting trades attract an astonishing number of the former.) When the latter come to coin collecting, not knowing much else, they learn of grading and slabbing and think: "A professional opinion, coin protected for the long haul, beautiful display. This is Doing It Right." I totally understand it because that's how I am. I never just blop into something or someplace, jumping and assuming that a net will appear. I'm not enough of a drunk or fool to obtain that grace; I have to make my own or I'll faceplant.

So, to the new folks. What they don't know, until we help them, is that Doing It Right in numismatics is not spending a bunch of money to have common coins slabbed. Doing It Right means learning to handle, grade, authenticate, and value--and to know when it is worth sending one in. It is on experienced numismatists to help them understand that they really don't have to spend all that money on slabs when they could instead spend it on great books and nice coins.

I bought my 1958 proof already in the slab along with a 1979 proof and a 1963