• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a Kennedy Half Dollar with no mintmark in good MS condition, what would be the value of this coin in its present state?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, I am inclined to agree.

When's the last time you saw one or received one in change?

And yet, as rarely seen or used as it has been, it is worth little over its face value, if that. 

I would advise the OP to hold onto it.  The only people who appreciate this coin -- and its cousin the "Ike" are children who have never seen one much less spent one. Funny how the so-called "coin shortage" they keep talking about does not include the halves or dollars.

"MS" or "Mint State" just means the coin has not been in circulation -- it is "Uncirculated" (an older but more accurately descriptive term than "Mint State").

Any wear indicates the coin has been used in commerce so it might be called "About Uncirculated" or "Extremely Fine" or "Very Fine" depending on the amount of wear.

Edited by RWB

1 hour ago, RWB said:

"MS" or "Mint State" just means the coin has not been in circulation -- it is "Uncirculated" (and older but more accurately descriptive term than "Mint State").

Any wear indicates the coin has been used in commerce so it might be called "About Uncirculated" or "Extremely Fine" or "Very Fine" depending on the amount of wear.

True indeed.

@Bruce Catzbased on your recent posts, you seem to have a solid interest in the hobby.  I'd like to suggest you buy a copy of A Guide Book of United States Coins. Its published yearly by Whitman and is referred to as the Redbook.  While the pricing guide can be a little inaccurate, you can easily which dates are common and which are better.  The best part is that it's filled with lots of information.  Mintages, weights, compositions, mint mark locations, a little history, and even a very basic grading guide.  I would be willing to bet that nearly every experienced collector on this site had one sometime early in their collecting career.  It will be the best $10-15 you'll spend on the hobby.  It's an easy way to pick up a lot of knowkedge

On 3/7/2021 at 2:34 PM, Bruce Catz said:

I'm going to hold on to it,I just wanted some opinions on this coin is all, not looking to make money off it like some people do, thanks

The 1971 is one of the most common Kennedy halves. This one is fairly nice, but nothing noteworthy.