• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherry Pickers Post
4 4

244 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2021 at 12:13 AM, Lem E said:

Certainly doesn’t take long for coins to get nasty. Big ole tasty die crack for ya JP. (Obverse rim to mintmark)

AE4019F2-7AB5-440F-BA57-C64A10189EED.jpeg

6561E2C9-A565-4638-8CE8-970EA88C201C.jpeg

lolWell I finally found one today, a little cleaner than yours Lem  

S20210709_0001.jpg

S20210709_0002.jpg

28 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

lolWell I finally found one today, a little cleaner than yours Lem  

S20210709_0001.jpg

S20210709_0002.jpg

Very nice! So are you saying you don’t want to trade for my beautifully toned piece??? :roflmao:

15 hours ago, Lem E said:

Very nice! So are you saying you don’t want to trade for my beautifully toned piece??? :roflmao:

Yours is worth more;)  you have a crack

6 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Yours is worth more;)  you have a crack

Any person unfamiliar with the hobby would find this to be a most curious statement.  Example, real estate:  "Those are original Spanish tiles, my friend. Not to mention the fluted Corinthian columns."  "Yeah, but your house is worth more. ;) You have a crack in the rusticated brickwork where it meets the strongly accented quoins."

***  Moderator:  Violation: non-numismatic.  QA: Whaddya mean?  Of course, it's numismatic. Why, because I misspelled coins?

I am still amazed when I find a silver coin in a role. Very circulated lots of fine scratches It is not worth much more than $4.65 melt but still to find it in 2021 is my Idea of cherry picking fun.

S20210717_0001.jpg

S20210717_0002.jpg

Now here we have a work of ART I think could be a Van Go...  Like a Van Go over this penny many times in the parking lot.  I think we can get a good price for it with the Joker smile on Lincoln and on the reverse the large chicken to the right side of Lincoln on the steps is a nice extra. 

S20210802_0001.jpg

S20210802_0002.jpg

On 8/2/2021 at 7:44 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Now here we have a work of ART I think could be a Van Go...  Like a Van Go over this penny many times in the parking lot.  I think we can get a good price for it with the Joker smile on Lincoln and on the reverse the large chicken to the right side of Lincoln on the steps is a nice extra. 

S20210802_0001.jpg

S20210802_0002.jpg

Now that is pareidolia at its finest. Nice chicken!

Edited by Lem E
Sp

@J P Mashoke

I like the Vincent Van Gogh, that went and got itself into a whole heap of trouble the best.

Of particular note is the pothole which sprung itself a leak and became a waterfall.

Funny how nobody, NOT ONE MEMBER, bothered to mention that despite the steady bombardment, the figure of Lincoln seated between the columns is the clearest representation of him ever seen on any coin -- MS or PROOF -- bar none.

Well today I found my first Proof coin while roll hunting. To bad it got so scratched up in circulation it is still in good shape it is loosing its mirrored background.

S20210808_0001.jpg

S20210808_0003.jpg

@J P Mashoke

Here's a plausible back-story:  Note your coin (nee a "Proof") is in acceptable condition for its age which suggests its owner, initially taken by the novelty of the dual-date, held on to it hoping it would appreciate in value. But it did not.  I suspect the reason you found this coin explains why I have over a hundred [unsearched] dual-dated Ikes still sitting on top of my file cabinet the details of which can be seen on each roll's end suggesting someone kept them when they were first introduced hoping for a decent return on investment, and when that failed to materialize, redeemed them, BU Flawless or not, for face value.  I still don't know what I should do with them. (Not a day goes by my roosters harp on me to get rid of them.)   🐓

On 8/8/2021 at 4:04 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@J P Mashoke

Here's a plausible back-story:  Note your coin (nee a "Proof") is in acceptable condition for its age which suggests its owner, initially taken by the novelty of the dual-date, held on to it hoping it would appreciate in value. But it did not.  I suspect the reason you found this coin explains why I have over a hundred [unsearched] dual-dated Ikes still sitting on top of my file cabinet the details of which can be seen on each roll's end suggesting someone kept them when they were first introduced hoping for a decent return on investment, and when that failed to materialize, redeemed them, BU Flawless or not, for face value.  I still don't know what I should do with them. (Not a day goes by my roosters harp on me to get rid of them.)   🐓

You may want to take a second look at some of those Ike's with a Loop before you get rid of them. There are a few worth more than face value. The Bicentennial is not as nice as you think a USB scope only shows straight on quality not a true look Here are 2 angle shots that show the scratches more. It is still a cool find.

1976 S.jpg

1976 S reverse.jpg

On 8/6/2021 at 8:07 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Found a nice big die crack on a 2006 LMC not that it is worth anything just cool to find. It is comparable to a  2006 DDO-002
2-O-VIII 

S20210806_0001.jpg

This one looks like split plating instead of a die crack. The copper layer is extremely thin and it doesn’t like being matched with a zinc core. They split, bubble, and every other kind of disagreement you can imagine between two metals. And if you can find a penny without black spots on it somewhere nowadays you are really doing something. The US needs to just quit trying to make something work and scrap cents. It’s not working well 😂

On 8/8/2021 at 3:54 PM, J P Mashoke said:

You may want to take a second look at some of those Ike's with a Loop before you get rid of them. There are a few worth more than face value. The Bicentennial is not as nice as you think a USB scope only shows straight on quality not a true look Here are 2 angle shots that show the scratches more. It is still a cool find.

1976 S.jpg

1976 S reverse.jpg

I occasionally get on a kick roll hunting until I get tired of it. Then I’ll do it again.  Generally I find about one impaired proof per box of quarters. Some I’ll find two, some none,  but it seems like about one is average. I haven’t found any this old though. Seems to always be a state proof that is impaired. I’ve found one or two that would still be considered proof but I’m sure I was the first person to see them after they were rolled and taken to the bank. Generally they are a scratched mess. But it is surprising how many you will find. 

I was finally able to find enough 2021 Quarters to finish off my Warman's book today I got 5 of them in a roll from the bank. It has been a long time since I found the last one they must be hiding 

2021 Washinton.jpg

On 8/12/2021 at 3:57 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Found this nice Peace Medal Nickel in a roll today. I don't find these to often. 

S20210812_0001.jpg

S20210812_0003.jpg

I don't think that "P" on the obv. stands for Peace, and if it does, it shouldn't.  If memory serves, After France 🇫🇷 was forced to cede Haiti 🇭🇹 to former slaves with British air support, they were greatly in debt. Their go-to guy was quickly dispatched to Washington to hammer out a real estate deal, effectively doubling the area of the U.S., for $15 million. 

For those interested in all the tawdry details, see: "The Louisiana Purchase was Driven by a Slave Rebellion." by Erin Blakemore on the web. 🤔

On 8/8/2021 at 10:11 PM, Woods020 said:

I occasionally get on a kick roll hunting until I get tired of it. Then I’ll do it again.  Generally I find about one impaired proof per box of quarters. Some I’ll find two, some none,  but it seems like about one is average. I haven’t found any this old though. Seems to always be a state proof that is impaired. I’ve found one or two that would still be considered proof but I’m sure I was the first person to see them after they were rolled and taken to the bank. Generally they are a scratched mess. But it is surprising how many you will find. 

Hmm....I wonder if any of the ones I put out in circulation found their way down to your neck of the woods.  I break up a lot of Proof Sets for my little coin selling venture, and I've been known to place some proofs out in the wild for people to find.......well, if they are mine, I'm very happy that I gave you guys out there hunting something fun to find!!

On 8/16/2021 at 5:58 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Wow.... I think I found a good example of Machine Doubling going through some old pennies this weekend.

S20210815_0001.jpg

S20210815_0002.jpg

S20210815_0003.jpg

Perfect textbook example. If you ever want to travel, this subject could sure use an exhibit at a major show. Nice photos, for the purpose.

I found some old mint sets at one of my antique stores today. I think I got a good deal all three for $20 and the 1909 VDB is worth close to that ?  

Old mint sets.jpg