• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherry Pickers Post
4 4

244 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, V33J@ said:

Yes. I read that dollar coins take a beating. I guess that's why they put Ike on the front of it, LOL. I saw an MS64 on EBay that sold for 25 and an MS62 trying to get 499. I love EBay, LOL. They both had a bunch of marks on them too so I guess grading is less stringent for that year.

Which, of course, begs the question:  What does one in pristine clean condition go far? I guess the answer to that is whatever a collector or investor or speculator is willing to pay for it at auction.

4 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Which, of course, begs the question:  What does one in pristine clean condition go far? I guess the answer to that is whatever a collector or investor or speculator is willing to pay for it at auction.

Oh, I just started in numismatics. I wouldn't want to speculate why that is. I just go by the old rules of supply and demand. My only guess is that there are many more 64's than there are 62's.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:09 AM, J P Mashoke said:

So I go to the bank today to get some rolls of quarters for my hunt and the girl says you saving weird coins Mister. I said ya what ya got ??? and she shows me this baggy and wants to know if I want them.. So I took them off her hands.

2 ... 1976.....3..1971 and 7...1972  Nothing great but I had to take them home and at least give them a good look.

Ikes.jpg

Check the 1972’s (Philly) for the Type I, II, and III varieties. The Type II is the “good one”.

35 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Check the 1972’s (Philly) for the Type I, II, and III varieties. The Type II is the “good one”.

From the looks of the end coins on the twelve rolls of 1776-1976 Ikes (120coins) I picked up at a local bank (I assume never wants to see them again) I really ought to confirm my theory they were held hoping they would appreciate some day. And, who knows, I may very well discover hitherto unknown varieties and mutants and barring that, be compelled to offer to donate the most presentable Ikes to young collectors who've never seen them on that post where such random acts of kindness are encouraged.  Coin, padded envelope and postage on me.

25 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

From the looks of the end coins on the twelve rolls of 1776-1976 Ikes (120coins) I picked up at a local bank (I assume never wants to see them again) I really ought to confirm my theory they were held hoping they would appreciate some day. And, who knows, I may very well discover hitherto unknown varieties and mutants and barring that, be compelled to offer to donate the most presentable Ikes to young collectors who've never seen them on that post where such random acts of kindness are encouraged.  Coin, padded envelope and postage on me.

The 1776-1976 types are about the thickness of the reverse legends. The 1972 types are about the placement of Caribbean Islands on the distant earth on the reverse.

11 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Thank you for your suggestion. I know the Bank don't want them back LoL...they are to big for them...The 1976 Ike's I put with my crazy 1776 /1976 collection  I did put aside the 1972 Ike's for further investigation of the planet Earth in the background. I need a better reference than the one PCGS shows on there site it is hard to see and of course the coins always seem to wear more in that area.

On 3/12/2021 at 7:30 AM, J P Mashoke said:

I am doing some Nickel rolls today and I have some odd finds?? I wanted to ask you all about. What are these scratches from a counting machine or die cracks?? The coins are 4 from 1994 and 3 from 1997  I used to save those 2 years looking for the matt finish Nickels.

Any thoughts . Jeep

S20210225_0007.jpg

S20210225_0008.jpg

S20210225_0009.jpg

Hey JP, I know you like nickels with die cracks, so here you go. 1951 D with an almost rim to rim crack on the reverse. Just doesn’t quite make it all the way. Fish hooks right back into the O.

33C59558-5414-4367-9B1F-ACB254B48647.jpeg

954717C2-3DB3-4751-8691-F39B69A15249.jpeg

3E2EDAC4-E726-448A-8024-06D66E6E76CC.jpeg

78FC3F5B-839D-4F19-9178-19DFC83279B9.jpeg

BE8F2A2B-2FAA-46A8-A369-DD07AF5F18D1.jpeg

Edited by Lem E
Add pics

2 hours ago, Ray, USMC said:

Nice die crack example Lem E thanks for sharing.

Ya that is way cool. Very nice find . Be careful not to drop it to hard with a crack like that one LoL, Funny you posted about nickels because that is what I am checking this morning for  PL FS I have 2 new rolls of 2020 D and I am having a hard time finding any without bag marks... The new nickels are so sharp on the rims that they are cutting each other right out of the shoot at the mint it looks like. Also on the Denver nickel die the steps on the right must be worn out or greased up. they are gone. the first is a D the second is a P

S20210321_0003.jpg

S20210321_0002.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

2 hours ago, Lem E said:

1951 D with an almost rim to rim crack on the reverse

Hey Lem.. Question for ya.......Did you buy that coin graded, or have it done and if so is it do they label all coins that have variety's when you send them in? Or do you have to let them know you want it labeled ...??

11 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

Hey Lem.. Question for ya.......Did you buy that coin graded, or have it done and if so is it do they label all coins that have variety's when you send them in? Or do you have to let them know you want it labeled ...??

I did buy it graded already. Bought a few lots of lower grade coins to study. Ended up with about 15 coins in all. I have never submitted a coin so I’m not the greatest person to ask about that. I don't see many die crack attributions on labels. I wouldn’t say a die crack is a variety though. But like I said, Im not sure.

35 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

Ya that is way cool. Very nice find . Be careful not to drop it to hard with a crack like that one LoL, Funny you posted about nickels because that is what I am checking this morning for  PL FS I have 2 new rolls of 2020 D and I am having a hard time finding any without bag marks... The new nickels are so sharp on the rims that they are cutting each other right out of the shoot at the mint it looks like. Also on the Denver nickel die the steps on the right must be worn out or greased up. they are gone. the first is a D the second is a P

S20210321_0003.jpg

S20210321_0002.jpg

They are gone aren’t they. Good eye. Could be a grease job. Nice find.

Oh boy I just found a treasure in the back of my cabinet. A whole jelly jar of 1982 Pennies that have never been checked. Nice job for a Sunday night. 

1982.jpg

S20210321_0005.jpg

S20210321_0006.jpg

I found this on the back of one whole side of a 82 P copper.. So Mr Watson !!! the Game is afoot.... LoL.. Look close is it Doubling or what metal workers call tinning..... when it gets beat-up on until it disfigures. I have looked at a lot of pennies that are just as banged up without this happening. I see no listing for a copper 82 LD DDR but they may be out there??? Like Me...:roflmao:

S20210322_0001.jpg

S20210322_0002.jpg

S20210322_0003.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

6 hours ago, DWLange said:

That's not a DDR. It's just strike doubling. You can see examples of it here: https://www.ngccoin.com/pdf/US_Coin_Die_Varieties.pdf

Thanks DW . I Love the web link you posted that is a good one. I agree that it is a strike double not a double die. I see coins like this a lot it is just this one is very pronounced. Thank you for commenting. 

We I think you all know me by now always looking LoL.. So here is a fun find from a 2020 roll of new pennies out of 50 coins 10 pennies or 20% had this dot on them in the same spot.

S20210323_0001.jpg

S20210323_0002.jpg

Well look what I found hunting last night . I have not seen any of these in 11 years. People must have herded them all up in 2010 and put them away. Did anyone here save them???

S20210324_0002.jpg

S20210324_0001.jpg

Someone must be cleaning house again ? What are the odds of finding 2 penny rolls from the bank today full of 1992,95,98,99,and 2000 pennies. Must have been a stash and got rolled up for cash...

Key Date Pennies.jpg

8 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Well look what I found hunting last night . I have not seen any of these in 11 years. People must have herded them all up in 2010 and put them away. Did anyone here save them???

S20210324_0002.jpg

S20210324_0001.jpg

Lowest mintage of all the 09s. Nice find. I saved pieces for my album. Mostly find log sitters.

Edited by Lem E

1 hour ago, J P Mashoke said:

Key Date Pennies.jpg

[What I see here -- which a true collector may find offensive -- is essentially a pile of faux copper featuring a few prime candidates for experiments in cleaning by the mad scientist in the laBORatory that resides in us all. Nothing more. Nothing less.]  😉

17 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[What I see here -- which a true collector may find offensive -- is essentially a pile of faux copper featuring a few prime candidates for experiments in cleaning by the mad scientist in the laBORatory that resides in us all. Nothing more. Nothing less.]  😉

LoL.. very good assessment and there were no keepers, but it was still fun to look and pray for a nice piece. 

On 3/25/2021 at 7:29 AM, J P Mashoke said:

S20210324_0002.jpg

S20210324_0001.jpg

Found another 2009 today but I will have to wait 40 years for it to be all the same color.{ Not to likely at my age}

S20210330_0001.jpg

On 3/25/2021 at 7:29 AM, J P Mashoke said:

S20210324_0002.jpg

S20210324_0001.jpg

Never seen this one before. Too bad they never got a chance to finish that giant guillotine on top of the Capitol.

9 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Well I ordered my new Red Book today. It will be here some time before the end of the week or the end of May

Red book.png

I vaguely remember the 25th Edition and am aware of a few "special" editions in between. Goes to show you how long I have been out of touch with the hobby.  I understand the earliest editions have always been collector's items in their own right.  If you collect U.S. coins, the Red Book is a good introductory reference.  I am sure it has many more pages now and the adoption of the spiral-bound edition was a good, practical move.

48 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I vaguely remember the 25th Edition and am aware of a few "special" editions in between. Goes to show you how long I have been out of touch with the hobby.  I understand the earliest editions have always been collector's items in their own right.  If you collect U.S. coins, the Red Book is a good introductory reference.  I am sure it has many more pages now and the adoption of the spiral-bound edition was a good, practical move.

Yes the Red Book it is not something I would purchase every year. Now days the internet makes it so easy to look up coins but seeing it has been a while I think it is time for a new book.

Some of the prices may have changed by now.:roflmao: 

2003 Red Book.jpg