• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

error or damage?

1 post in this topic

Has anyone ever felt that your coin was an error coin and that you could distinguish markings on the coin that you believe happened during the striking process? I have a coin that I agree is damaged but i think its the result of a weak strike on the reverse side and it looks like the die broke or shifted. Its an 1889 CC Morgan dollar in my collection. If you look closely to me it appears that where I have a missing "L" in dollar it looks like an faint upside down "A" or "L". Take a look at the reverse side on the one edge it looks like a weak strike and on  the other side its heavier and some of the rim edge markings seem to shift over onto the coins edge. Maybe Im crazy and I am no grader of coins but it looks like an error to me that caused the damage? Please I respect everyones opinions. thanks1021685576_IMG_20170611_135232(2).thumb.jpg.32833110580169b42dc91ca1934bda5c.jpg

CC_WEAK.JPEG (2).jpg

IMG_20170611_135404 (4).jpg

IMG_20170611_135456 (2).jpg

Edited by JOHN DENT
need to add more pics