• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 silver penny

12 posts in this topic

I actually thought the same at first but I send the edge and the more I was sending more shiny metal was showing so I know is not copper or copper coated zinc! I did some research and there is couple found on record! Am just going to send it just to make sure! 

Some cents minted in 1982 were copper and some were copper plated zinc.  The weight of your coin indicates it was a copper plated zinc issue.  The copper plating is approx 8 microns thick.  Somebody removed the copper plating after your coin left the mint as @bsshog40 said.  Sorry but it's a damaged coin, not an error

I’ve had this for five years or so double die obverse no question about it. It weighs 2.6 g there’s a little dirt around the rim that’s nothing scraped all away if it was stripped why would it weigh 2.6

IMG_0223.jpeg

On 1/17/2024 at 7:09 PM, Trent Shaffer said:

I’ve had this for five years or so double die obverse no question about it. It weighs 2.6 g there’s a little dirt around the rim that’s nothing scraped all away if it was stripped why would it weigh 2.6

Well, there actually is a question as from your moon shot photo of one side of this coin there is no way to tell if your coin exhibits any true or fake doubling of any type.   However, as your coin is overweight; copper coated zinc core cents should weigh 2.5g; your coin has been plated or painted to arrive at this color and weight.   Lots of Lincoln cents of all years have been plated or painted as novelty items for decades.

In the future you should start a new thread rather than adding onto a two year old thread, makes it easier to follow.   And in all cases, you need to post cropped photos of both sides of the coin so that the coin takes up most/all of the space of the photo vs the background being the primary.

On 2/21/2021 at 10:27 PM, Juanda7777 said:

I actually thought the same at first but I send the edge and the more I was sending more shiny metal was showing so I know is not copper or copper coated zinc!

Do you mean you were sanding the edge?????? You do realize if this is the case and you did this to a truly valuable coin, you will have then just completely negated any value it may have had. If by sanding you were exposing more "silver", you were simply sanding into the zinc planchet from which it was before the copper plating applied at the Mint so you were just exposing more of the zinc core which would be silver in color (but is not silver). Your pictured cent has had the plating removed by some means, most likely a mild acid which would also explain some of the pitting I see. Possibly it was with the intent of attempting to defraud someone by doing this and claiming it to be a very rare mint error.

On 1/18/2024 at 1:21 AM, powermad5000 said:

I really wish the forum had a filter

On my browser the original topic date shows up with the title in the topic list, and when you click a topic it shows that again right in the middle.