• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does "Best in Category" Mean?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Did a search trying to find my answer with no luck.

I've noticed some set's as Best in Category that are dated 2014. Wondering what the criteria is for that award.

Thank you,

Lee

• Administrator
1 hour ago, leeg said:

Hi all,

I've noticed some set's as Best in Category that are dated 2014. Wondering what the criteria is for that award.

Thank you,

Lee

Hello, Lee and thanks for your interest. "Best in Category" is awarded to the collector with the highest registry score for that particular set category. If a tie occurs, the judges look at other criteria, as well. Here is a helpful link:

https://www.ngccoin.com/about/help-center-faqs/ngc-registry/ngc-registry-faqs/

4 hours ago, leeg said:

Hi all,

Thank you,

Lee

The registry award given for the the set in that category with the highest point score this award is given each year so it is not uncommon to see a set that has won that category multiple times.  Also keep in mind that there now are two Best in Category awards given for each category so it is possible to have two winners in the same year.   Best in Category for the best score of all coins (PCGS and NGC), and the NGC Best in Category which is awarded to the set with the best score using only the NGC graded coins in the set.  These are non monetary awards and identified in the old registry system by the yellow ribbon next to the set name and a number placed on the ribbon if that set has won for that set category more than one time, for instance if a set were to win for both the overall and the NGC only awards and or multiple years.   In the new registry system you will see a red banner under the awards tab on the right side of the page and again a number will be placed in the banner if the set has won that category multiple times.   In the old system you could click the yellow ribbon to see what year/years and if that set won overall or NGC only awards.   In the new system you have to open the set and then just under the set description you will see a trophy icon, when you click that you then see what year/years and if it won for overall, NGC or both.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 2/16/2021 at 9:09 AM, leeg said:

Hi all,

Thank you,

Lee

I'll just add, if you saw it dated 2014 then that means it was top that year - but was then dethroned in subsequent years. It's part of the game, if someone takes it away from you then you have to go buy nicer coins and win the top spot back!