• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1812 half dollar--O-109-a?

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I recently purchased a slabbed NGC Capped Bust half dollar w/ O-109-a on it.  I registered it last night. I am trying to find more info on exactly what Overton coins are.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

1812 half dollar 001.JPG

1812 half dollar 002.JPG

1812 half dollar 003.JPG

Following, and expanding on, the work of J. Colvin Randall, (as published by J.W. Haseltine under his name) and M. L. Beistle, Al Overton identified every obverse and reverse die used in the coining of Bust half dollars, and listed them by die pairing, or "marriage." The marriages are given Overton numbers to identify each pair.

For example, in 1812, there were 8 obverse dies and 9 reverse dies used, with a total of 10 die marriages (O-101 to O-110). The Small letter ("a" on your coin) after the number refers to a later die state. So, O-109 represents a marriage of obverse die 7 with reverse die H, and the small "a" signifies that this is the later die state, which shows lumps and ridges that were caused by defects in the die.

10 hours ago, ruddy1959 said:

Thank you very much Bob!  Can you tell by the pictures if this is a large 8 or small 8?  I can't tell if its a 2/1 either.

There was only one "small 8" variety in 1812, and that was O-102. Also, O-101 and O-102 were both 2/1 overdates, although they had different obverse dies.

Man, I sure appreciate your input and knowledge.  So mine is a large 8 w/ no 2/1 overdate correct?  I have only been collecting for about 6 yrs.  Mostly of Morgan dollars.  I bought this one because its an 1812 and the War of 1812 was a pivotal time in our countries history.  I love history now that nobody hands me a test!

Thanks again so very much for your help!

Frank