• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many countries will make "Defeat of the Covid Empire" coins in 2021?
1 1

104 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Yeah, I went and looked. I was gobsmacked. 

So far I've got the whole collection of these. Figured they be a great set to pass down to the kids and if I ever have grandkids. There are some cool history lessons on all the reverse proof boxes. Kind of a cool set. 

2 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

So far I've got the whole collection of these. Figured they be a great set to pass down to the kids and if I ever have grandkids. There are some cool history lessons on all the reverse proof boxes. Kind of a cool set. 

It really is. This year, 2021, the reverse proofs will be sold only in a 4-coin set, not individually. I have a special reason to like this set. I was on the committee at the 2016 Mint invitational forum at Philly that recommended this creation of this set. I’m “obligated”.

Edited by VKurtB

2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

It really is. This year, 2021, the reverse proofs will be sold only in a 4-coin set, not individually.

Are they gonna end up making one for each of the 50 states?  I'm gonna keep getting them as they come out. Would love to get the whole collection. 

Just now, Hoghead515 said:

Are they gonna end up making one for each of the 50 states?  I'm gonna keep getting them as they come out. Would love to get the whole collection. 

I think it’s going to be states AND territories, just like the two quarter series. 4 per year.

9 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

. I was on the committee at the 2016 Mint invitational forum at Philly that recommended this creation of this set. I’m “obligated”.

That's pretty cool. I really liked them and the idea of them as soon as I saw them. And people can afford to collect them. That's another thing I like about them. You can get them at a great price. My kids really like them also. 

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

That's pretty cool. I really liked them and the idea of them as soon as I saw them. And people can afford to collect them. That's another thing I like about them. You can get them at a great price. My kids really like them also. 

The Polio Vaccine coin in a PF70 holds a significant premium over the rest of the coins in the series. Apparently they do not grade well.

5 hours ago, Lem E said:

The Polio Vaccine coin in a PF70 holds a significant premium over the rest of the coins in the series. Apparently they do not grade well.

I noticed the one I got from the mint had a little spot on it. There no way it would get a 70. It would only get a 69 if it were ever sent in. It's not bad or nothing. Just enough to make it not get a 70. 

On 7/11/2021 at 10:24 PM, Revenant said:

Though it could be nice to see a commem for Dr Salk and the landmark work he did with testing the polio vaccine, control groups, and double blind studies 

2015 March of dimes commemorative.  Once again it doent give his name, and you have to know your history to know the March of dimes was originally set up to combat polio (now it is for fighting birth defects because they conquered polio)  But it does have Dr, Salk pictured on the obverse.

32640850_115700173_2200.jpg

On 7/15/2021 at 9:39 AM, Conder101 said:

2015 March of dimes commemorative.  Once again it doent give his name, and you have to know your history to know the March of dimes was originally set up to combat polio (now it is for fighting birth defects because they conquered polio)  But it does have Dr, Salk pictured on the obverse.

Huh. I guess they just do not want to give that man his due. lol

Thanks for the information. I haven't kept up with the modern commems in the last 10 years or so. lol

Edited by Revenant

[Not to suggest Dr. Salk's monumental contribution to medicine wasn't worth extolling to the heavens but a commemorative dime, and not a dollar, would have been a more appropriate choice even it were unprecedented in Mint history.]

On 7/15/2021 at 9:54 AM, Revenant said:

Huh. I guess they just do not want to give that man his due. lol

Maybe they found out he once knew Walter Breen?

On 7/15/2021 at 3:56 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Not to suggest Dr. Salk's monumental contribution to medicine wasn't worth extolling to the heavens but a commemorative dime, and not a dollar, would have been a more appropriate choice even it were unprecedented in Mint history.]

Great idea that would need legislation. The people who do that are particularly bereft of imagination. They’re more into “same poo, different day” thinking. 

On 7/15/2021 at 4:27 PM, VKurtB said:

Great idea that would need legislation. The people who do that are particularly bereft of imagination. They’re more into “same poo, different day” thinking. 

Unless they put it on the reverse that might also involve unsettling FDR - which a lot of people on Capitol Hill are probably reluctant to do.

I think you may have difficulty unseating FDR at least until the children of the "Greatest Generation" have passed.  The children mostly didn't experience him directly, but they grew up listening to their parents laud his magnificence.