• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1859 Canadian Penny

4 posts in this topic

I have a 1859 Canadian penny that is significantly thinner than my other 1859's.  I figured it was cast on a different planchet than the others.  I've looked for information on a thin planchet version of this coin but I am unable to find record of it. 

When I say it is thinner, I know it is not from wear.  Some of the other 1859 pennies I have that are thicker, are more worn out than this one is.

Any ideas on if there are thin planchet versions of this coin?  Other than the thin planchet it is a 1859 penny - Narrow 9 version

I should have mentioned that I don't have it on hand to take pictures...I sent it for conservation.  I was just wondering if anyone heard of any of these particular pennies having a few or a run of thin planchets...??  I will take pics when the coin gets back.

I should have mentioned that I don't have it on hand to take pictures...I sent it for conservation.  I was just wondering if anyone heard of any of these particular pennies having a few or a run of thin planchets...??  I will take pics when the coin gets back.

Technically any coin can have a thin planchet so it is possible that's what you have. Don't forget 1859 Cents were thinner to start with than the following years. That is why I asked for the weight.