• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOO HOOO!!! Gold is below $330!!!!

19 posts in this topic

Maybe this will be my chance to buy more Saints as the price falls. $550 for common dates in the 1920s in 63 is a little steep! Of course, I expect it will be a while before numismatic gold prices follow suit.

I agree. I have a lot of circulated gold on my list to buy, but couldn't see paying those higher prices and had been buying silver Type pieces instead. Now, maybe, I'll start looking at the gold a little more closely.

jtryka,

I know from reading some of your posts that you like saints, and so do I, but what do you think of the Indian head $10 eagles? They are my favorite U.S. gold coin.

I think both the obverse and reverse designs are beautiful.

John

Both of Augustus Saint-Gaudens' designs for gold are wonderful, and I like both of them for different reasons. The majesty of liberty lighting the capital on the double eagle is wonderful, as is the eagle in flight, moving forward to a bright future. The Indian is also beautiful, but somewhat less symbolic in my opionion, but the eagle on the eagle (that sounds funny) is stunning, at rest but ever vigilent. When I am bored with Saints, or reach a plateau, that is probably the next series I'll pick up. I think the root of my decision to go with double eagles, was the value proposition when I started. Common date MS-63s were about $400 when I started compared with common date MS-62s at $300-350 for Indians! Don't get me wrong though, I still own a few indians and they are some of my favorite coins. I also really like type 1 double eagles, but let's not even start down that path!

shocked.gifgrin.giftongue.gif

It's sitting on $325 right about now. Back at the beginning of this year when it was at $350 and I made a post across the street warning about playing the markets, there were all sorts of predictions of gold hitting $400 an ounce and going up from there.

I wonder what all those gold gurus are saying right now.

Here is my favorite post from that thread: "Okay, Im going to give you people an idea of where Gold stands! The average Gold fund is seeing only $300,000 a day in deposits. When the price of Gold is in the $425 to $450 range, Gold funds see deposits in the $8,000,000 range. When the price climbs to $650, they see deposits in the nieghborhood of $700,000,000! Sorry, but I dont have the #s on $850! What does this say? There is still a lot of skeptics(BIG MONEY) yet to enter the Gold Market. I dont know about you, but this tells me Gold has just begun to run!"

If you can't guess, the post was made by WallStreetMan and if you want to laugh, just work out his numbers.

John,

I think that the $10 Indian is the best of the 20th Century designs (sorry Jeff), but in my opinion, can't beat those small eagle reverse gold coins of the 1790's.

If you can't guess, the post was made by WallStreetMan and if you want to laugh, just work out his numbers.

WSM proved himself a mathematical and financial genius recently when bragging about a set of MS platinum he bought from DHRC a while back.

Keith, I agree with you on the obverse, but I agree with John on reverse, the Heraldic eagle is so much more to my liking. The skinny eagle just never did anything for me. And I have to apologize since I so seldom see these beauties that they didn't come to mind when thinking of designs.

John, that is a stunning eagle! The picture came up on my screen about 1.5" by 1" so it's tough to say for sure, but it looks to be at least a 65 if not a 66.

Greg, Ahhhh WSM! The master! The ostrich! I seem to recall making a deal with him after one of our debates, where I would take all of his NGC gold coins and replace them with PCGS coins graded 2 points lower. He never followed through on it though.

jtryka,

I wish it were a MS-65 or 66. It is in an earlier NGC holder and is graded only MS-62. I do think it might be a little better, maybe MS-63. What marks it does have are very small, and it does have excellent luster.

I had to bring the size of the original down to be able to attach it to the post so you cannot see the ticks

John.

Now that's an idea, yeah...if I shrink my coins they'll look better! Well, I must say the luster on that coin was stunning. here is my 1912 the luster isn't nearly as nice. Ironically, I think my nicest one is a 1913 in an ICG MS-62 holder.

Keith, I agree with you on the obverse, but I agree with John on reverse, the Heraldic eagle is so much more to my liking. The skinny eagle just never did anything for me. And I have to apologize since I so seldom see these beauties that they didn't come to mind when thinking of designs.

In the last several months, I'd had chances to hold high AU to low MS examples of almost all the 179x gold piece types, and I stick with the smaller eagle. The larger eagle is nice, but really eats up the coins' space on the reverse and makes it look crammed in.

jtryka,

Your 1912 is nice also. The luster on mine really is outstanding and I believe it has a little less marks than normally found on a MS-62 coin. That’s why I think it might go MS-63 if resubmitted.

John

Keith,

That's funny, the thing I like about the Heraldic reverse is that it takes up the whole reverse. With the small eagle the fields look empty to me.

John

Perhaps I might go to the bank this weekend and post some pics of my "ignored" gold, you know, the stuff that doesn't fit in the registry because they are in the wrong holders.