• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CoinTalk.com a scam?
3 3

453 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, G_P said:

with human intelligence and modern technology

There is the rub, IMHO. The over application of the latter often burns down the former. I offer as evidence the entire millennial generation. 

7 hours ago, G_P said:

Well, I look forward to sharing the valuation engine with everyone when it is released. We will settle this debate then :)

It won't be any better than what is already out there. It's just going to be another price guide.

49 minutes ago, ldhair said:

It won't be any better than what is already out there. It's just going to be another price guide.

After actively going to auctions actively for over 30+ years, I have my own “Ethiopian Fudge Factor” that I apply as a correction to several printed price guides that are easy to find. I make a list of a few “target” coins I am looking to bid on, look them up in several price guides, apply my personal factor that establishes my top price, and NEVER GO A PENNY OVER THAT, NO MATTER WHAT. It works fine for me. I seldom pay more than dealer wholesale for anything. How do I know? The bidders next to me ARE dealers. Do I miss out on some good coins? Maybe, but I always spend my available budget, so perhaps it doesn’t matter.

The last one I went to, a got an 1814 half dollar in XF/AU for $160. I’m fine, danke schöen. The “mark” that scared off some other bidders floated off the coin while in distilled water. 

Edited by VKurtB

8 hours ago, G_P said:

Well, I look forward to sharing the valuation engine with everyone when it is released. We will settle this debate then :)

It sounds like a scam to me. Probably why CT gave you the boot. 

24 minutes ago, ldhair said:

It sounds like a scam to me. Probably why CT gave you the boot. 

A tad tough language, don’t you think? Could be, not might not, too. Thing is, I can easily imagine that’s how Doug might see it, for sure.

Edited by VKurtB

13 hours ago, VKurtB said:

A tad tough language, don’t you think? Could be, not might not, too. Thing is, I can easily imagine that’s how Doug might see it, for sure.

More than a tad tough. It was very pointed. Just like the OPs title and post in this thread. 

Using this site to bash a different forum should come with details. The OP decided to ignore the details and request and changed the topic. 

If CT gives you the boot, you know what you said and the reason you were banned. Not sharing that information brings up many questions. 

Doug is very pointed and has a strong opinion but he takes the time to explain his opinions. Not saying he is always right but none of us are.

I have been told to cool my jets a few times over there and I follow those directions. I knew I was testing the rules and shut my mouth. 

I'm good with saying I was wrong and moving on. 

On 11/18/2020 at 6:36 PM, Lancek said:

If this isn't active enough for me, I also go to CCF (Coin Community Family). 

[Thanks for the tip!  I'll tell 'em you sent me...]

8 hours ago, ldhair said:

More than a tad tough. It was very pointed. Just like the OPs title and post in this thread. 

Using this site to bash a different forum should come with details. The OP decided to ignore the details and request and changed the topic. 

If CT gives you the boot, you know what you said and the reason you were banned. Not sharing that information brings up many questions. 

Doug is very pointed and has a strong opinion but he takes the time to explain his opinions. Not saying he is always right but none of us are.

I have been told to cool my jets a few times over there and I follow those directions. I knew I was testing the rules and shut my mouth. 

I'm good with saying I was wrong and moving on. 

Yup, sounds like he might have ( I don’t know, just guessing - all we have) run afoul of CT’s rules on commercialization.

23 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I would never join a club that would have me as a member..

So much drama from a coin board...

Yall collecting coins or attitudes??

Edited by MAULEMALL

Here, now, are people posting things that in my opinion should be grounds for banning.

@ldhair - your negative attitude is devaluing this forum. When you are ready to have a professional and productive conversation, I welcome your questions and challenges. Otherwise, keep your lack of vision and lack of inspiration to yourself.

Edited by G_P

25 minutes ago, G_P said:

Here, now, are people posting things that in my opinion should be grounds for banning.

@ldhair - your negative attitude is devaluing this forum. When you are ready to have a professional and productive conversation, I welcome your questions and challenges. Otherwise, keep your lack of vision and lack of inspiration to yourself.

Some of our members are lacking in humor and imagination. I myself am dashing headlong into curmudgeonhood. It’s a sad tale, but a common one. I am ohhhh, let’s call it “intrigued” by your project. I have certain reservations about it, but I see the need every bit as much as you do, so that alone makes me not dismiss it out of hand.

54 minutes ago, G_P said:

your negative attitude is devaluing this forum. When you are ready to have a professional and productive conversation, I welcome your questions and challenges. Otherwise, keep your lack of vision and lack of inspiration to yourself.

Now now take it all in stride.  Reactions elicit more reactions.  To idhair point though you fired the shot with the title of this thread.   

So when is your beta being rolled out for testing and feedback?

On 11/16/2020 at 9:21 AM, G_P said:

It's 100% clear that the owners of CoinTalk.com provide no value to the numismatic community, they are just carpetbaggers who are making money off of your wasted time.

You started a nasty negative thread to bashed a man that you don't even know. His name is Peter and he is a member here and CU and most coin forums from the start of the net.  He has done nothing but good for this hobby. Did you know that he sold his coin collection to build the CT site and the cost still come out of his pocket. There is no money made. The site runs in the red.

Maybe you should be the one to keep your lack of vision and lack of inspiration to yourself.

Wow!  This is getting just like the good, old days before the forum became the legendary Sleepy Holly.  Now remember, no breaks for anyone is the number one rule.

th.jpg

c50692c06c1c60f9d6aff9c465045d50.jpg

Edited by Alex in PA.

48 minutes ago, ldhair said:

You started a nasty negative thread to bashed a man that you don't even know. His name is Peter and he is a member here and CU and most coin forums from the start of the net.  He has done nothing but good for this hobby. Did you know that he sold his coin collection to build the CT site and the cost still come out of his pocket. There is no money made. The site runs in the red.

Maybe you should be the one to keep your lack of vision and lack of inspiration to yourself.

On 10/13/2020 at 10:48 AM, dena said:

It seems that some need a reminder of the guidelines accepted when creating an account here. Recently there has been an uptick in the number of unacceptable posts. As a result, there will be greater scrutiny of the material posted here.

In summary, the following will not be tolerated:

Political posts

Mud Slinging

Trolling

Baiting

Masking

Inappropriate references (analogies, etc.) to significantly emotional topics such as Nazis, slavery, etc.

Threads started explicitly to bash other members

Hi-jacking of other people's threads in a way that stifles the originally intended topic

Disrespect

The disrespect exhibited in recent posts is overshadowing all the positive and valuable content being posted here and is creating a climate of hostility. It is particularly disappointing to see the way in which new members and collectors are being treated. Using words like ignorant and stupid is not the way to educate and welcome the well intentioned folks making an effort to embrace this community.

It stops now.

4 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

It seems that some need a reminder of the guidelines accepted when creating an account here. Recently there has been an uptick in the number of unacceptable posts. As a result, there will be greater scrutiny of the material posted here.

Political posts

Mud Slinging

Trolling

Baiting

Masking

Inappropriate references (analogies, etc.) to significantly emotional topics such as Nazis, slavery, etc.

Hi-jacking of other people's threads in a way that stifles the originally intended topic

Disrespect

The disrespect exhibited in recent posts is overshadowing all the positive and valuable content being posted here and is creating a climate of hostility. It is particularly disappointing to see the way in which new members and collectors are being treated. Using words like ignorant and stupid is not the way to educate and welcome the well intentioned folks making an effort to embrace this community.

It stops now.

What was the over and under on this and why are only certain members held to account?

🤔

You mean like hijacking a thread?  :grin:  Over/under was - too subjective unless you go the heavy handed route of enforcement.  

It is as you say selective outrage. 

Even some of the no no topics are only offensive if it suits someone since some of those topics no one was part of.  So don't stifle this thread with the rules chat my friend.  G_P had the chance to move past the original trash talk he did and the responses he got.  He could have easily just let it roll off him and moved on to discussing his coin valuation application project.  A few of us were actually curious enough to not call it garbage out of the chute.  But he didn't so the whirlwind continues much to my entertainment.

Edited by scopru
corrected to chute instead of shoot - thanks Kurt for the catch

25 minutes ago, scopru said:

G_P had the chance to move past the original trash talk he did and the responses he got.  He could have easily just let it roll off him and moved on to discussing his coin valuation application project.

Not true, my friend. I tried to move on but the members here keep bringing it back to bullying. I will not engage with people unless they are ready to speak and act professionally. I don't need the input of bullies. However, I would welcome feedback from intelligent coin experts.

As for my original post, I stand by it. I presented my case to the community and gave them a chance to respond. Some people agreed with me, some disagreed. I've already moved on from that.

I won't be responding further to this thread as it has become clear that it will not lead to a productive sharing of ideas. If anyone is interested in discussing coin valuation, you can message me directly.

1 hour ago, MAULEMALL said:

Political posts

Mud Slinging

Trolling

Baiting

Masking

Disrespect

It stops now.

No it doesn't and who are you? I don't see your NGC colors. @DWLange sets the rules, not you. Youre lucky I'm being nice.

30 minutes ago, G_P said:

I tried to move on but the members here keep bringing it back to bullying.

Good gravy man just let it roll off. Without ever seeing your photo (from the interview you gave) I could have guessed your generation by how you react to the push back you are getting.  Bullying?  Really come on you started the bash festival when you introduced yourself to this forum.  Bullying these days is just a buzz word (along with many others) used to feign offence and shut others down.  It is an online forum bub.  Just ignore the posts if you don't like them.  Or even better - start  a NEW thread focused specifically on your project.  

You ask for people to private message you.  Bleh.  You have seen the people that expressed some interest here.  Your move if you want to discuss.  Just be prepared because there are very few "fan girls" on here.  So put your big boy pants on if you want to have a real dialogue. 

1 hour ago, Modwriter said:

No it doesn't and who are you? I don't see your NGC colors. @DWLange sets the rules, not you. Youre lucky I'm being nice.

Modwriter needs to learn to be Modreader....:roflmao:

Youre lucky I'm being nice.

go on .. be a tough guy:roflmao:

2 hours ago, scopru said:

You mean like hijacking a thread?  :grin:  Over/under was - too subjective unless you go the heavy handed route of enforcement.  

It is as you say selective outrage. 

Even some of the no no topics are only offensive if it suits someone since some of those topics no one was part of.  So don't stifle this thread with the rules chat my friend.  G_P had the chance to move past the original trash talk he did and the responses he got.  He could have easily just let it roll off him and moved on to discussing his coin valuation application project.  A few of us were actually curious enough to not call it garbage out of the shoot.  But he didn't so the whirlwind continues much to my entertainment.

The gods of spelling force me to point out that it’s “out of the chute”.

1 hour ago, G_P said:

Not true, my friend. I tried to move on but the members here keep bringing it back to bullying. I will not engage with people unless they are ready to speak and act professionally. I don't need the input of bullies. However, I would welcome feedback from intelligent coin experts.

As for my original post, I stand by it. I presented my case to the community and gave them a chance to respond. Some people agreed with me, some disagreed. I've already moved on from that.

I won't be responding further to this thread as it has become clear that it will not lead to a productive sharing of ideas. If anyone is interested in discussing coin valuation, you can message me directly.

What intrigues me most is that you decided that a “valuation engine” was an obvious need, when there are many other unmet tech needs in this hobby, such as a collector database in a phone app, maybe tied to a server, or perhaps not, depending on storage. 

Edited by VKurtB