• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CoinTalk.com a scam?
3 3

453 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2022 at 10:15 AM, Oldhoopster said:

There are a lot of things you can do if you're 6'8"

Sorry, but I'm hijacking the thread for some pics of Jr hoopster.

FB_IMG_1664846835643_kindlephoto-123713470.jpg.ba85f169f961d60a6990f1e5dba8a1c5.jpg

LCM_AUMBB_Utica_101_kindlephoto-1306153652.jpg.493ea22415f4b6f2319fb9ebe445c2ca.jpg

IMG_0731_kindlephoto-89748935.thumb.jpg.f3d98e0ad377cd1e5c62a6b7e95588e7.jpg

Thats pretty cool hoopster. Did you play in college? I enjoy watching college basketball. Thanks for sharing. 

On 10/13/2022 at 8:10 PM, Oldhoopster said:

No, just high school, then recreational leagues until I was in my 40s.  I was a hack, but loved to play.  Jr Hoopster plays Division 3.  One more year left but he is already on the Top 25 list for scoring and rebounds at his school

Thats amazing. I really enjoyed playing when I was young. Then I got to fat. I still enjoy shooting hoops but Im way to out of shape to play a game.  

🐓:  Yeah but, six foot eight sounds like unfair advantage. Jus' sayin.'

Q.A.:  Is that what you want me to say to Oldhoop'? Remember, we gotta be careful over there and here now.

On 10/13/2022 at 11:04 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓:  Yeah but, six foot eight sounds like unfair advantage. Jus' sayin.'

Q.A.:  Is that what you want me to say to Oldhoop'? Remember, we gotta be careful over there and here now.

Are you okay QA? You have been posting a rooster talking to you lately, so I'm VERY worried. :insane:

On 10/14/2022 at 4:09 PM, EagleRJO said:

Are you okay QA? ....

For the answer to this critical Question of the Day, I should like to direct all enquiring minds (mods included!) to the Off Topic thread, no earlier than ...  :)

[Fast edit: 6:30 pm. EST]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Time differential.

CoinTalk is not a scam. They are an opposite of a scam. They ban "scammers" or "askers", those who ask questions, thus scamming CT out of their time. A scammer at CT is an annoying individual who is asking a question about a coin and does not beforehand kiss up to the emperor of the forum. A couple years ago I have posted a question, in a polite and respectful language (spellchecked), about a coin that I had. Apparently they did not like that a novice came into their beloved place and asked a "stupid" question about a coin that he had in his possession. Perhaps they considered me as an annoyance and issued a ban without thinking. Since my English is not perfect, I may have raised a "suspicion" that I could be a "scammer" trying to get free information while using less than perfect English. On hypocrite run forums, that's not allowed. Thus I received an indefinite (and was provided an opportunity t click on an ad to earn some money for the Two Hundred Dollar Emperor*** of ConTalk) ban which I can only cure by moving elsewhere. I won't do that  since CT to me is a non-existing place full of self-absorbed hypocrites and xenophobes. I have left them appropriate reviews all over internet.

temp.jpg

*** Anyone can purchase a forum software and set it up in one day, and become an "Emperor" of their own forum.

Edited by World_banknote_collector
It's a secret

On 1/29/2023 at 6:51 AM, World_banknote_collector said:

CoinTalk is not a scam. They are an opposite of a scam. They ban "scammers" or "askers", those who ask questions, thus scamming CT out of their time. A scammer at CT is an annoying individual who is asking a question about a coin and does not beforehand kiss up to the emperor of the forum. A couple years ago I have posted a question, in a polite and respectful language (spellchecked), about a coin that I had. Apparently they did not like that a novice came into their beloved place and asked a "stupid" question about a coin that he had in his possession. Perhaps they considered me as an annoyance and issued a ban without thinking. Since my English is not perfect, I may have raised a "suspicion" that I could be a "scammer" trying to get free information while using less than perfect English. On hypocrite run forums, that's not allowed. Thus I received an indefinite (and was provided an opportunity t click on an ad to earn some money for the Two Hundred Dollar Emperor*** of ConTalk) ban which I can only cure by moving elsewhere. I won't do that  since CT to me is a non-existing place full of self-absorbed hypocrites and xenophobes. I have left them appropriate reviews all over internet.

temp.jpg

*** Anyone can purchase a forum software and set it up in one day, and become an "Emperor" of their own forum.

Well said, if a bit over the top. “Emperor” strikes me as particularly insightful. 

Coin Talk also banned me for no reason. I bought my first ancient coin at an auction last April. It had a small black spot, but it looked great otherwise. I wanted to know how to remove the spot and restore the coin. I couldn't find the answer online, so I joined Coin Talk to ask. I was polite and said I was new. Someone replied that the spot made the coin more genuine because it showed its age. I thanked them politely, but the next time I logged in, I was banned.

If I violated some rule by asking this as a new collector, then screw them. They should be more understanding of people who are not old collectors who complain about paying more than $80 for a mint coin like they did in the 60s.

As for the Coin Talk owner/moderator, he will get what he deserves. I hope he gets banned from a forum when he asks a question he doesn't know: like why his wife's boyfriend disrespects him. Stay away from Coin Talk.

On 12/10/2023 at 12:09 PM, NickNY said:

Coin Talk also banned me for no reason ... As for the Coin Talk owner/moderator, he will get what he deserves. I hope he gets banned from a forum when he asks a question he doesn't know: like why his wife's boyfriend disrespects him. Stay away from Coin Talk.

Call me a sceptic but I would bet the family ranch that there is more to that ban then simply asking a question, particularly with those visceral comments. 

On 12/10/2023 at 11:09 AM, NickNY said:

On 12/10/2023 at 11:09 AM, NickNY said:

Coin Talk also banned me for no reason. I bought my first ancient coin at an auction last April. It had a small black spot, but it looked great otherwise. I wanted to know how to remove the spot and restore the coin. I couldn't find the answer online, so I joined Coin Talk to ask. I was polite and said I was new. Someone replied that the spot made the coin more genuine because it showed its age. I thanked them politely, but the next time I logged in, I was banned.

If I violated some rule by asking this as a new collector, then screw them. They should be more understanding of people who are not old collectors who complain about paying more than $80 for a mint coin like they did in the 60s.

As for the Coin Talk owner/moderator, he will get what he deserves. I hope he gets banned from a forum when he asks a question he doesn't know: like why his wife's boyfriend disrespects him. Stay away from Coin Talk.

What was your user name on CT? 

On 12/10/2023 at 4:39 PM, l.cutler said:

Been there for almost 16 years, first coin forum I ever joined.  Never had an issue.

Deja vu?

This comment alone should put this matter to rest once and for all after three years and over four hundred posts. Besides, I took it upon myself to investigate each and every one of the allegations made, at length, and found -- nothing.  I thought it telling that a number of long-time members with instant name recognition, shuttled seamlessly, without complaint, between this Forum and that one.

If anyone should be incensed, it ought to be me. After all, I had been PERMANENTLY BANNED from this Forum four times and that does not include garden variety "exclusions" including routine deportations and exiles.  The truth?  There was justice in those verdicts if one takes the time to familiarize himself with the Chat Board Guidelines.

My attitude remains, Man, I love this place!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die-polishing: correct word tense

On 12/10/2023 at 10:13 PM, Henri Charriere said:

If anyone should be incensed, it ought to be me. After all, I had been PERMANENTLY BANNED from this Forum four times and that does not include garden variety "exclusions" including routine deportations and exiles.  The truth?  There was justice in those verdicts if one takes the time to familiarize himself with the Chat Board Guidelines.

I still don't understand how you are not still permanently banned from this forum, but then again it seems like you got some help from some mental health professionals and dont talk to Roosters any more ... well at least not on this forum anymore. :baiting: (:

On 12/11/2023 at 12:32 AM, EagleRJO said:

I still don't understand how you are not still permanently banned from this forum, but then again it seems like you got some help from some mental health professionals and dont talk to Roosters any more ... well at least not on this forum anymore. :baiting: (:

[As regarding the first part of your comment, check topic, "Unsolicited comments."  As regarding the latter, after I had experienced a great fall resulting in lack of mobility, loss of memory and the fortuitous discovery I had Covid-19 (and the correct deduction my wife must have had it, too). I wasn't the only one talking to a rooster. The late great Oldhoop not only spoke to "Ricky," but demanded a retraction from him. :roflmao: Besides, if memory serves, you "spoke" to the Rooster, too, one of my greatest coups you owned up to.]  🤣

On 12/11/2023 at 5:13 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Besides, if memory serves, you "spoke" to the Rooster, too, one of my greatest coups you owned up to.]  🤣

Yes, you completely sucked me into that.  James Bond and the MI6 Team would have been proud. 

On 12/10/2023 at 12:09 PM, NickNY said:

Coin Talk also banned me for no reason. I bought my first ancient coin at an auction last April. It had a small black spot, but it looked great otherwise. I wanted to know how to remove the spot and restore the coin. I couldn't find the answer online, so I joined Coin Talk to ask. I was polite and said I was new. Someone replied that the spot made the coin more genuine because it showed its age. I thanked them politely, but the next time I logged in, I was banned.  If I violated some rule by asking this as a new collector, then screw them. They should be more understanding of people who are not old collectors who complain about paying more than $80 for a mint coin like they did in the 60s.

It's possible their software or a Mod inadvertently assumed you were someone trying to evade a ban.  Nothing in your post indicates anything close to a TOS violation.

If you write to the webmaster or other email address that the site has, I am sure you would be reinstated if you did nothing wrong.(thumbsu

On 12/10/2023 at 7:05 PM, ldhair said:

What was your user name on CT? 

I don't remember, but probably something similar or identical to the one here. 

On 12/10/2023 at 5:54 PM, EagleRJO said:

Call me a sceptic but I would bet the family ranch that there is more to that ban then simply asking a question, particularly with those visceral comments. 

Actually someone in this thread called the moderator there an 'Emperor' which made me think of Claudius wondering why his wife's boyfriend was disrespectful to him. Thought it was witty and got a chuckle out of writing it. Sorry it triggered you, just some numismatic geeky humor ;)

On 12/11/2023 at 11:46 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

It's possible their software or a Mod inadvertently assumed you were someone trying to evade a ban.  Nothing in your post indicates anything close to a TOS violation.

If you write to the webmaster or other email address that the site has, I am sure you would be reinstated if you did nothing wrong.(thumbsu

I tried contacting multiple times. There was never a response, so I gave up. I tried opening a fake account, but their application is broken. So i just gave up. Thanks for the suggestion :)

There is a certain cultural / attitudinal / geographic bias at work on CoinTalk. The Chief moderator fancies himself as some kind of “wild west lawman”, and is bereft of any discernible sense of humor. He even dresses like some kind of southwest cowboy figure. His need for absolute control is just kind of creepy. He is a paleo-numismatist, kind of like our favorite Virginian here. He believes that anything that has changed in our hobby since he was most active in the 1980’s (40 YEARS AGO!!!) is wrong or invalid. Result: walk away, you’re better off here. This is my most active board, I continue to have a PCGS account I seldom use, and I have been banned at CoinTalk. 

On 12/11/2023 at 12:27 PM, NickNY said:

someone in this thread called the moderator there an 'Emperor' which made me think of Claudius wondering why his wife's boyfriend was disrespectful to him. Thought it was witty and got a chuckle out of writing it. Sorry it triggered you, just some numismatic geeky humor

Okay, so someone called one of the moderators an "Emperor" and you decided to completely disrespect that person with a deeply personal attack writing about the persons wife having a boyfriend, getting a chuckle out of that.  And you think someone just asking about that is triggering them.  Now we are getting to the bottom of the ban.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/11/2023 at 4:24 PM, World_banknote_collector said:

ConTalk "emperor" (what's his full name?) [... insert deeply personal and cutting attack ,,,]. Now we know the reason of all those Con Talk bans.

I assume you are banned too with deeply personal attacks on someone like that.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/11/2023 at 7:36 PM, EagleRJO said:

Depends who is being attacked and who is doing the attacking. If you are ”an anointed one”, everything is fair game. 

Edited by VKurtB

I spent enough time investigating the various scam allegations to quickly recognize it may be any one of many things, but most assuredly not a scam.  A lot of members here with name recognition spend time there and not a single one has aired their own suspicions much less suggested there may be some truth to the allegations.  In the time I spent lurking about, I quickly realized with my mercurial temperament I didn't stand a chance so I kept my opposable right thumb to myself... and survived.

The late country music legend, Kenny Rogers, sang a song about such a set of circumstances...  "You've got to know when to hold 'em,  Know when to fold 'em,  Know when to walk away,  And know when to run...."

NO TRUE BILL.

On 12/12/2023 at 12:36 AM, EagleRJO said:

I can be like that if I am really pissed, but never on ConTalk. And no, ConTalk is not a scam, VKurtB wrote exactly to the point on what they are.

Edited by World_banknote_collector

On 12/12/2023 at 9:46 AM, World_banknote_collector said:

I can be like that if I am really pissed, but never on ConTalk. And no, ConTalk is not a scam, VKurtB wrote exactly to the point on what they are.

Part of my banning is my fault. I NEVER EVER EVER back down from bullies, and the Chief Mod at CT is an über-bully. He openly brags that his word is gospel and then refuses to answer questions, stating that what the rules mean is clear. What is clear is that he is megalomaniac and a bully.