• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Violate the Guidelines and you will be Suspended or Banned
1 1

78 posts in this topic

Note to the Congregation

I just thought I would confirm something most members may be blissfully unaware of:  that in random test-drives taken through the various threads recently, I can certify with complete confidence that the enhanced anti-trolling software feature(s) as implemented, function with breathtaking perfection and efficiency.  I am beginning to suspect this firewall, impervious to breach as it were, has no back-door, no by-pass pass-word and no over-ride features.  This is my own provisional assessment; other members' experiences, may differ from my own. [Mother of mercy, is this the end of ... ?  Will there come a time when members cannot recall a time Before Be Nice or Be Gone?]

On 12/6/2021 at 11:01 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Truer words have never been spoken.  I have been thrown off the Board many more times than I have fingers and re-admitted each and every time I apologized after she heard my feeble knock at the door. She is tops in my book!  (worship)

Way to pucker up buttercup. Lol xD

On 10/13/2020 at 10:48 AM, dena said:

It seems that some need a reminder of the guidelines accepted when creating an account here. Recently there has been an uptick in the number of unacceptable posts. As a result, there will be greater scrutiny of the material posted here.

In summary, the following will not be tolerated:

Political posts

Mud Slinging

Trolling

Baiting

Masking

Inappropriate references (analogies, etc.) to significantly emotional topics such as Nazis, slavery, etc.

Threads started explicitly to bash other members

Hi-jacking of other people's threads in a way that stifles the originally intended topic

Disrespect

The disrespect exhibited in recent posts is overshadowing all the positive and valuable content being posted here and is creating a climate of hostility. It is particularly disappointing to see the way in which new members and collectors are being treated. Using words like ignorant and stupid is not the way to educate and welcome the well intentioned folks making an effort to embrace this community.

It stops now.

[The opening post from:  "Violate the Guidelines and you will be Suspended or Banned," started by dena, October 23, 2020.]

Re-posted as a public service.

Greetings Dena,

I have a question I believe you are eminently qualified to answer.

I notice that beside the last comment posted on some threads, a small, figurative hand with fingers splayed, appears encircled in black on a white background. 

Is this an informal internal signal to moderators indicating, absent a notably relevant reply to the topic, that "stop sign" indicates no further comments should be accepted?

(If this questioned has been addressed elsewhere, my apologies.)

On 6/20/2023 at 9:48 PM, Tyrock said:

All in favor of enforcing the existing forum rules. 

...dont get sucked into responding to old threads rehashed by a few outliers, the question u responded to should have been submitted properly thru the ask questions about ngc thread n not an old thread, there r a few here that savor the attention they strive for by using those techniques, its best to just ignore their efforts...u will find that most forum members abide by the rules, but as everywhere there will always be individuals who use the forum for purposes other than what it was originally intended...the forum used properly can give u access to info not available elsewhere...enjoy its availability....

On 6/20/2023 at 9:48 PM, Tyrock said:

All in favor of enforcing the existing forum rules. 

My question was directed to Dena Skeffington, the Website Coordinator.

The "If you Violate the Guidelines,' thread is an Owner's Manual that never goes out of date.

My question, properly directed, is not a poll or

On 6/21/2023 at 12:27 AM, zadok said:

...dont get sucked into responding to old threads rehashed by a few outliers, the question u responded to should have been submitted properly thru the ask questions about ngc thread n not an old thread, there r a few here that savor the attention they strive for by using those techniques, its best to just ignore their efforts...u will find that most forum members abide by the rules, but as everywhere there will always be individuals who use the forum for purposes other than what it was originally intended...the forum used properly can give u access to info not available elsewhere...enjoy its availability....

referendum on the subject.

On 6/21/2023 at 12:27 AM, zadok said:

.... the question ....  should have been submitted properly thru the ask questions about ngc thread n not an old thread....

u will find that most forum members abide by the rules,.... 

I wrote to Dena Skeffington directly. It may have been her decision to post my query on this thread [which all members would benefit from reviewing intermittently].

I dare say no member more scrupulously observes the letter and spirit of the Guidelines than I do.

On 6/21/2023 at 4:52 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I wrote to Dena Skeffington directly. It may have been her decision to post my query on this thread [which all members would benefit from reviewing intermittently].

I dare say no member more scrupulously observes the letter and spirit of the Guidelines than I do.

Sins of a past incarnation maybe?

The entire point of my post was to determine the significance of the hand ️ signal. If I locate it, in the immortal words of former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, "I'll be BAHK."

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add word.

Faithful readers [and a proportionally significant number of transient lurkers loitering about] will recall that only hours ago I declared, quoting Arnold Schwarzenegger, that I would be "BAHK," if I spotted the mystery heiroglyph Moderation declines to define presumably regarding it as one would a state secret.

I am therefore elated to announce inadvertently stumbling across "the hand" of which I speak in the "Rotated Reverse Coins" thread helmed by member Tyrock.  It is 24 posts long at press time, and "the symbol," a hand, appears beside a member's name 7 posts down, on the right side.

My question is: What does this symbol denote?  [This is not a GTG exercise!  Answer only if you know. Moderators are welcome to participate as always.]

On 6/23/2023 at 11:51 AM, ldhair said:

....It's there to help folks know to be kind and offer a bit of understanding to the new member.

The road to perdition is paved with good intentions.  The only way to find out if what you say is true is to run it by he who proclaimed he'd "rather be right, than nice."  🤣 

And to those keeping score, it pleases me to no end to report I have broken my own personal record: ninety (90) consecutive days without so much as a warning or point assessment. Man, I love this place!  😀