• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Letter from Mark Salzberg
1 1

91 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Personally, I know that if I ever have to sell my gold coin collection, I'll never make a profit.  (maybe I'll break even, but inflation will deal me a loss)

However, when I consider the time I've put in — hundreds of hours of researching and actually acting upon that research — and then having something tangible, historical, and beautiful to show for my efforts… therein is the profit for me.  And I find it to be very satisfying.

From an investment point of view, there is no profit.  Had I put my time in, instead, on garnering investment skills with stocks and bonds, or devoted to home improvement knowhow, I would be far better off financially.  But, you have to round-out your time among different interests or those interests will lose their appeal.  Or worse yet… become all work.

Life's short so pursue anything and everything, within reason.  In the process, you never know where things will take you, and there are rewards all along the way.

[Spoken by a true collector.]