• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

End of Pain Tokens

8 posts in this topic

I'm starting to take an interest in these Conder tokens. Can anyone suggest an up-to-date reference book that would include these pieces? Although of English manufacture and apparently more to do with the French revolution, I plan to include the major types in my Colonial type set. The little bit of shopping I've done, I've noticed three reverse types which I'll call The Jacobin Knave; The Wrongs of Man; Pandora's Breeches. Would be fun to identify other Conder tokens that relate directly or indirectly to early America. 

Edited by LINCOLNMAN
clarify

5 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

The little bit of shopping I've done, I've noticed three reverse types which I'll call The Jacobin Knave; The Wrongs of Man; Pandora's Breeches.

I did a quick search and found 4 that look different. It would make a pretty interesting set.

254576137022_1.jpg.b74ca865f315552a8ac6f96101690500.jpg254589843992_1.jpg.8f42d562759c7a1659d444389026d02b.jpg264286467470_1.jpg.270742600db1c46a196f0347717bf5a8.jpg283717573941_1.jpg.a66e6693be35a46cfd3f0652cc7b46d6.jpg

I don't know which on is which.

I have a collection of Conder tokens, but lack every one of those.  Unfortunately, compared to the days when one could still pick up UNC pieces with some mint red for twenty bucks, their value has skyrocketed to the point that I can't afford the ones I really want at the grade level I'm interested in.  But I really like the ones posted here!

I'm open to receiving charitable contributions lol .

There are 16 pieces in the "End of Pain(e)"  tokens, not including edge variations.  There are 10 half penny tokens and 6 farthings.  The only real reference is Dalton & Hamer The Provincial Token Coinage of the 18th Century.  They are listed under County Middlesex and are attributed to Thomas Spence as being the issuer  This is unlikely though as Spence was a supporter of Paine.  The Half Pence are D&H #'s 827 - 836 and the farthings are #'s 1105 - 1107.  Related pieces are the Three Thomases half pence and farthings.  These show three men hanging, Thomas Spence, Sir Thomas More, and Thomas Paine.  Half Pence # 837 & 838, farthings 1120 - 1123.  Again surprisingly attributed to Thomas Spence.  (Really?  He would issue a token advocating his own hanging? These were probably actually by Peter Skidmore.)  

These dies are also muled with other dies not attributed to Spence.  The Three Thomoses half penny die is also found matched with a Newgate Prison die Middlesex D&H # 397, and a Warwickshire die attributed as a municipal issue of Birmingham in the county of Warwickshire D&H 55.  The End of Paine farthing die is muled with a die by Peter Skidmore showing his coat of arms.  That one is also Middlesex, D&H 1075.

Edited by Conder101

Thank you Conder. After looking up Spence's bio and noodling around eBay, the three Thomas's reverse (?) is paired with themes consistent with his history, but the pairing with three men hanging is obviously someone else's doing. Still a lot of nonsensical misinformation out there in numismatics. 

Interesting post...Had no idea that there were this many variations! 

Besides, 'Good for a Scent' and 'No feeling can Exceed the Smoking of the Weed', the 'End of Pain' has always been among my favorite tokens!!

Edited by Walkerfan