• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value for Chicago numismatic society medal
1 1

3 posts in this topic

No idea as to value but I have a little history. The Chicago Numismatic Society was the precursor to todays Chicago Coin Club.  The Numismatic Society was formed in 1903 and lasted until 1915.  The Member medals were issued beginning in 1909 and there after (They issued the earlier dated medals that year as well)  Each medal is as the one you show and the number of stars indicate the number of members that joined that year, there were 38 in 1906.  In general that should also be the number of medals issued, but there are some extra which were lettered on the edge NOT ISSUED TO A MEMBER.

The Society failed in 1915 after the death of the Secretary Ben Green.  After two years it reformed in 1917 and  then in Feb 1919 became the Chicago Coin Club.

The medal should be 2 inches in diameter and made of Bronze.

Here is the web link to the info Condor101 referred to. http://www.chicagocoinclub.org/projects/PiN/ccc.html , It takes you through all the different medals issued. The only two medals I have seen at auction were two examples of the 1910 Aviation medal and numerous examples of the USS Nashville medal. An Aviation medal with a PCGS MS-64 went for $432 with buyers premium in March 2020 at Stacks & Bowers and an ungraded one which looked XF-45 AU50 went for $50 on ebay July 2020. Numerous ungraded examples of the 1910 USS Nashville medal went on heritage auction with buyers premium and eBay for between $50-$125. Your medal looks like it would grade out at MS-64 or better. You may want to have it graded by NGC. I am a medal collector and I have found that a graded medal from NGC or PCGS adds allot of value beyond the grading fee over an ungraded coin.