• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just "Ignored" someone for the first time.
2 2

251 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

VKurtB said:  "However, if it disintegrates into TPGS bashing, at this point in time, then I believe you are doing harm. Why? Because the power and influence that the alphabet soup brothers have in 2020 is so entrenched that fighting it now seems like opposition for opposition's sake. I might not have felt that strongly 20-25 years ago."

psst:  don't forget CAC!

I don't allow ANY DISCUSSION of TPGS experiences in my classes.  There would be no time left in the week to teach!  

37 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Thank you, sir. We got married in Alabama. This May, it was literally impossible to get all the paperwork Pennsylvania needed. I made a joke about a Confederate monument outside the courthouse in Huntsville. It's gone now.

I'm all about "bucket lists" now. I got to go INSIDE the Royal and Ancient Clubhouse at St. Andrews, the one day each year people can do that (Nov. 30), and I got to hit a ball out of the Road Hole Bunker on #17 (about 4ft from the cup) and rake my footprints out of it before getting our picture done on the Swilcan Bridge.

How about posting some images?  One of my favorite threads on the ATS is photo Friday.  I cannot wait to look in again tomorrow!

9 minutes ago, Insider said:

How about posting some images?  One of my favorite threads on the ATS is photo Friday.  I cannot wait to look in again tomorrow!

They ARE on my iPad (I think so, it could be the "cloud'). Which would be the best section here? Water cooler? Hey!!! Did you just trick me into advocating a new section?

Edited by VKurtB

2 hours ago, Insider said:

You sure do make me feel dumb.  I should think if we can take 20 coins and have them graded within three weeks of each other IN A MATURE STEADY COIN MARKET the results would show there actually are "standards." of a sort.  Some would not agree on whatever they turned out to be. 

The multitude of grade inflation samples are sound indicators as are the anecdotes of coins in XYZ early holders from 1995 are now 1 or 2 "grade numbers" higher, or the obvious stretching of existing "grades." Etc., etc. - the present confusion is not successful except in the trivial monetary sense. Even now, TPGs are surviving on cute labels, imaginary special categories and emergency issues, and all the jumble issued by the US and other mints.

The two basics are:

1) Authentication - the item is genuine and unaltered

2) Condition - degradation from the item's original manufacture state.

These must be present, empirical (or as close as humanly possible), knowable, and repeatable.

Everything else is a descriptor of some sort.

34 minutes ago, RWB said:

The two basics are:

These must be present, empirical (or as close as humanly possible), knowable, and repeatable.

It seems grading, a mere opinion, upsets your "present, empirical, knowable and repeatable" -- and otherwise respectable, apple cart.

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

It seems grading, a mere opinion, upsets your "present, empirical, knowable and repeatable" -- and otherwise respectable, apple cart.

That's because the present apple cart it filled with rancid turnips which have to be dumped if collectors are to have room for a good crop.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

That's because the present apple cart it filled with rancid turnips which have to be dumped if collectors are to have room for a good crop.

I had a highly placed registry set until I started replacing them with lower graded coins.

Resistance is futile but liberating.

17 hours ago, RWB said:

The multitude of grade inflation samples are sound indicators as are the anecdotes of coins in XYZ early holders from 1995 are now 1 or 2 "grade numbers" higher, or the obvious stretching of existing "grades." Etc., etc. - the present confusion is not successful except in the trivial monetary sense. Even now, TPGs are surviving on cute labels, imaginary special categories and emergency issues, and all the jumble issued by the US and other mints.

The two basics are:

As long as the value of a coin is connected to its grade we will have some sort of gradeflation either by designations (stars) or more numerical options including decimals.  :(    The actual condition of a coin graded XF long ago that is now graded MS did not change that much in the period of time that its grade increased.

Agree; and value, or rarity, or prior ownership are not part of an assessment of state of preservation (grade).

"Value" is a free market determination and not a grading one.

Edited by RWB

On 9/8/2020 at 5:59 PM, Insider said:

I just ignored someone with all four choices.  I thought about it for a long time and finally did it.  Apparently, I will see nothing he posts and not know if any other member mentions him.  Color me selfish.  I'm here to learn something and I get nothing from him.  Hopefully, he will be able to take part in my new quiz.  

Have you ever ignored anyone (no names)?

Did you take off the "ignore" after time passed or are they still being ignored?

My freshman year in college (VPI Corps of Cadets) we were awaken long after lights out and told to get dressed w/o saying a word.  We formed up outside in the dark.  All lights in every building and the street lamps were off.  We were marched to Lane hall and I could see the entire Corps was formed up in silence.  Charges were read for some invisible cadet who had broken the Cadet Code of Honor.  Then we were given the command to about face (from where ever he was) and marched back to the dorm.  We were told his name would be stricken from all school records and his name was not to ever be spoken. I have no idea who he was or what he did. 

I guess that is similar to the ignore feature here.    So long what's your name, it :blahblah: was no fun at all.  :nyah:

So, is that like double-secret probation?

1 hour ago, Carl Wright said:

So, is that like double-secret probation?

Nope, Just like a diamond it's forever.

Here is a funny story that could be applied on this site.  When I was single, I joined Match.com.  I put in all the parameters for the women I wished to meet and hundreds of them popped up within 25 miles.  Next I started to delete any of them that I was not attracted to just by their appearance.  I probably deleted a lot of wonderful women.  BTW, I never had a "bad" date on Match.   Anyway, the funny part of the story is a member is only allowed to delete a certain number of profiles.  I'll guarantee no one ever searched the way I did.  I broke down their system with hundreds of rejects!  After a week or two when I complained, they must have added more space as I began deleting more.  ! met my wife on Match.  

What's that have to do with this forum?  I wonder how many members can be put on "Ignore?"  I'll confess that this place is much better for me without the member I "dumped."  (thumbsu

Getting back to the original topic, I have blocked perhaps 6 to 8 users on this forum in the past 18 years, and have actually unblocked one person (though the jury's still out on whether that was wise).  I appreciate that the forum allows you to view specific posts if you choose, but one improvement that the admins could make would be to hide quoted posts from people you've blocked.  That seems to be the only flaw in the system.

Life is too short, and this is just a hobby, it should be fun and informative, it should not add stress to your life for no good reason.

2 hours ago, jtryka said:

Getting back to the original topic, I have blocked perhaps 6 to 8 users on this forum in the past 18 years, and have actually unblocked one person (though the jury's still out on whether that was wise).  I appreciate that the forum allows you to view specific posts if you choose, but one improvement that the admins could make would be to hide quoted posts from people you've blocked.  That seems to be the only flaw in the system.

Life is too short, and this is just a hobby, it should be fun and informative, it should not add stress to your life for no good reason.

I agree - block the quoted post; but leave the unblocked member's answer.  I'm delighted with this "block" idea and I'm going to use it on another forum for another "non-contributing" pest.  

Does anyone remember @noow from like 6-7 years ago?  OMG, that guy drove me bonkers even after he was on "ignore"...

@physics-fan3.14, @lehigh96, @bsshog40, any others remember him?

Sometimes enough people ignoring a poster eventually does drive them to leave. My ignore list is very short - but every one of the people on it deserved it - probably long before they achieved the "honor" :D :roflmao:

The only person I recall ignoring was some wealthy tapeworm who insisted on rubbing everyone's nose in his high-cost, hyped coins, but would not share any of his supposed vast specialty knowledge with anyone.

I think I recall noow, but I might have blocked the memory.  I still have truthteller on my blocked list, is he still around?  Most of the others on my list of 9 I don't actually recall, so they likely faded from the forum...

3 minutes ago, jtryka said:

I think I recall noow, but I might have blocked the memory.  I still have truthteller on my blocked list, is he still around?  Most of the others on my list of 9 I don't actually recall, so they likely faded from the forum...

I haven't seen him in years.

1 hour ago, gmarguli said:

You can take TruthTeller (Dave Baptista) off your ignore list. He won't be coming back. He died around 12/2017.

That hasn't prevented others from posting....?

8 hours ago, gmarguli said:

You can take TruthTeller (Dave Baptista) off your ignore list. He won't be coming back. He died around 12/2017.

In that case, those so inclined may wish to accord me that honor.

I am STILL HERE, STILL STANDING, STILL STRONG and loving every minute of it.

On 9/9/2020 at 8:42 PM, Insider said:

Yep. All four.  He :blahblah: does not exist in my mind or on my screen!  :roflmao:    

according to relativists, he isn't even real (or something like that; when ur rule is there shall be no rules...):roflmao:

14 hours ago, 1917 said:

according to relativists, he isn't even real (or something like that; when ur rule is there shall be no rules...):roflmao:

Unfortunately, when one of the other active members quotes his nonsense I get to recall his name. 

BTW, this is only the second alert I've received in five days here!  I think as a place to discuss numismatics, this place will never recover WITHOUT A VERY ACTIVE (Multiple times a day) INTERESTING & INFORMATIVE INPUT FROM NGC EMPLOYEES.  :)  .   I have not given up YET; but if about five members here went to another site, I would leave and join them.

25 minutes ago, Insider said:

I think as a place to discuss numismatics, this place will never recover WITHOUT A VERY ACTIVE (Multiple times a day) INTERESTING & INFORMATIVE INPUT FROM NGC EMPLOYEES.  :) 

They are at least 10 days behind just opening mail of incoming submissions.  I hardly think posting on this forum is high on their "to-do" list lol.