• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why No Slot For 1880CC Morgan In Registry?

5 posts in this topic

If you have an 1880CC, its either one or the other. But I don't know why NGC makes you get both reverses to complete the registry set, seems like one or the other would do.

I believe the 1879 reverse is more common, check the arrows the eagle is clutching, if the arrow feather clear at the left of the TOP arrow is slanted, not parrallel with the other lines of the feathers below it, that is the 1879 reverse.

If it is parrallel with the lines of the other feathers, it is the 1878 reverse.

Oh I see the confusion. The reverse of 1879 is the first year of issue of that type reverse--so it starts in '79 and is found on some 80's, all '81's, '82's, and so on till the next big reverse die "model change" in 1921 (there were minor changes denoted as C1, C2, C3- before 1921)

Apparently NGC requires some of the significant varieties as part of a basic set of Morgans; the 1879-CC both clear CC and "capped die" 78-7f rev of 78 and 79 and 80-cc rev of 78 and 79 1882-O/S being some of them as opposed to PCGS which has yer basic Morgan set and yer Morgans with varieties as a separate set.

And PCGS is confusing too. For example, on the basic set of say pl Morgans you can't enter your 80CC reverse of 78 at all even if you have it, and have to get the supposedly "regular" (79) reverse. I wish they'd forget the whole thing except in the variety sets and VAM sets. All the 1880CC's are some sort of VAM combination, but none are especially unusual.