• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Simple analogy for defining numismatic features – such as PL and die collapse.
1 1

20 posts in this topic

These two paragraphs are from a short article in Sky and Telescope Magazine by Jeff Hecht, Was Early Mars “Wet and Warm” or Wet and Cold?

“As the world's largest uninhabited island, it’s a harsh place, and scientists have used it before as an Earth analog for modern Mars. With Mark Jellinek (Arizona State) and Gordon Osinski (University of Western Ontario, Canada), Grau Galofre found distinctive subglacieal features on the island, including long, narrow parallel branches that come together like fingers on a hand.

“The three researchers compared these features to other water-cut terrestrial channels and developed metrics to classify four distinct types of valleys: those formed by open-flowing rivers, by meltwater from glacial edges, by sub-glacial flows, and by "sapping" flows originating from groundwater sources. Then they applied these metrics to trace the origins of more than 10,000 Martian valleys comprising 66 valley networks — the equivalent of terrestrial drainage basins.

By careful data collection, analysis and definition, the researchers were able to identify different water flow patterns on Mars. This work allows improved understanding of early conditions on Mars. Something similar could be done for coin authentication and research.

Something for the numismatic authenticators and deep pocket players to consider.

We don't use technology to help solve problems or make things simpler. It's a way of approaching the subject that is not understood by any with the money to facilitate results. I was hopeful once of NNP, but nothing has materialized.

19 hours ago, RWB said:

We don't use technology to help solve problems or make things simpler. It's a way of approaching the subject that is not understood by any with the money to facilitate results. I was hopeful once of NNP, but nothing has materialized.

But wait... I was told by seemingly dozens of researchers that libraries were obsolete because of the NNP. Did they lie to me? A-gain?

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 3:30 PM, RWB said:

These two paragraphs are from a short article in Sky and Telescope Magazine by Jeff Hecht, Was Early Mars “Wet and Warm” or Wet and Cold?

“As the world's largest uninhabited island, it’s a harsh place, and scientists have used it before as an Earth analog for modern Mars. With Mark Jellinek (Arizona State) and Gordon Osinski (University of Western Ontario, Canada), Grau Galofre found distinctive subglacieal features on the island, including long, narrow parallel branches that come together like fingers on a hand.

“The three researchers compared these features to other water-cut terrestrial channels and developed metrics to classify four distinct types of valleys: those formed by open-flowing rivers, by meltwater from glacial edges, by sub-glacial flows, and by "sapping" flows originating from groundwater sources. Then they applied these metrics to trace the origins of more than 10,000 Martian valleys comprising 66 valley networks — the equivalent of terrestrial drainage basins.

By careful data collection, analysis and definition, the researchers were able to identify different water flow patterns on Mars. This work allows improved understanding of early conditions on Mars. Something similar could be done for coin authentication and research.

Something for the numismatic authenticators and deep pocket players to consider.

Before I post anything, what exactly would the scientists be looking for on a coin?

2 hours ago, Insider said:

Before I post anything, what exactly would the scientists be looking for on a coin?

Think authentication, not grade.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Think authentication, not grade.

Never mind all that. How come YOUR toolbar doesn't have highlighting in phosphorescent neon colors???

Just now, Quintus Arrius said:

Never mind all that. How come YOUR toolbar doesn't have highlighting in phosphorescent neon colors???

It does.

And so does yours.

You can even underline  or strikethrough...   or change the size.

Bold, italics, or bold italics

Different font

Sorry, it's late. I will stop now.

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

It does.

And so does yours.

You can even underline  or strikethrough...   or change the size.

Bold, italics, or bold italics

Different font

Sorry, it's late. I will stop now.

You see?  I bring out the best in people!  

11 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

The phone version is pretty limited. The iPad version somewhat less, and all the slick stuff is only in the full computer version.

17 hours ago, VKurtB said:

But wait... I was told by seemingly dozens of researchers that libraries were obsolete because of the NNP. Did they lie to me? A-gain?

That might be a reference to auction catalog libraries, but not to anything else. All of the good modern stuff is copyright and you can only see small pieces on NNP. Archival materials were never available except at their source before NNP.

16 hours ago, Insider said:

Examination and distinction between multiple kinds of metal flow eventually leading to causes and clearer definitions of things we do not understand well or might not recognize....for a very simple starter.

4 minutes ago, RWB said:

That might be a reference to auction catalog libraries, but not to anything else. All of the good modern stuff is copyright and you can only see small pieces on NNP. Archival materials were never available except at their source before NNP.

It seems a lot of people who have great ideas about "making information free" conveniently forget about copyright laws. Then reality bites them on the gluteals. Everybody thinks their use will be okay. It often isn't. I'll grant one thing - a library of printed auction catalogs loses some appeal when moving one's residence.

Edited by VKurtB

Printed materials are also preferable (at least to me) unless the original was scanned in color and at 3x to 6x the halftone resolution, with limited compression. Otherwise detail is lost.

2 minutes ago, RWB said:

Printed materials are also preferable (at least to me) unless the original was scanned in color and at 3x to 6x the halftone resolution, with limited compression. Otherwise detail is lost.

You and I both. There is a whole bunch of crappy digitization out there.

4 hours ago, RWB said:

Examination and distinction between multiple kinds of metal flow eventually leading to causes and clearer definitions of things we do not understand well or might not recognize....for a very simple starter.

Multiple kinds of metal flow???   My drill Sargent told us to "keep it simple ..."   

Whenever I have been fortunate to be around a bunch of really educated and knowledgeable "scientific" folks discussing a particular subject I am usually both astonished and frustrated at how they can turn a relatively simple operation - let's say looking at a coin's surface - into an unnecessary and confusing mishmash of fanciful possibilities due to possible influences associated with whatever.  Simple folk might just agree the coin looks dull. 

Edited by Insider

9 minutes ago, Insider said:

Multiple kinds of metal flow???   My drill Sargent told us to "keep it simple ..."   

Whenever I have been fortunate to be around a bunch of really educated and knowledgeable "scientific" folks discussing a particular subject I am usually both astonished and frustrated at how they can turn a relatively simple operation - let's say looking at a coin's surface - into an unnecessary and confusing mishmash of fanciful possibilities due to possible influences associated with whatever.  Simple folk might just agree the coin looks dull. 

Not sure about the coin, but this topic surely is. 

13 hours ago, RWB said:

Think about it, Insider....it's what we don't know that we want to know. Ya' know ?

Good Point.  I guess a lot depends on what we know and what we think we know.  Anyone here spend several hours using an electron microscope to look at flow lines and other characteristics on the surface of coins?  One coin in one metal is not enough either.  :)