• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don’t believe this is a cleaned coin
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Looks cleaned to me, there look to be hairlines on the rev with a large patch of them just left of the eagle's wing above the branch.  The obv also seems to have a couple of areas that look off but I cannot be sure on those, the lighter area just above the cap and right in front of the nose.  Maybe those are a lighting issue?

When I blow it up, I can see patches of hairlines and spots that look like wipe areas below and above Liberty's head. It may just be the pictures. Obviously, though, more than one NGC grader saw something.

I’m going to add some more photos that I took of the coin myself. I really want to gather as many complete opinions as possible.

Sorry I have no pics of raw coin - the case is brand new if that helps...

Thank you 

EF6EEBEF-DDBA-4D29-849C-227954EA107C.jpeg

9CFB2710-6E54-4F7C-AE82-2C12978E809A.jpeg

08601523-EA68-4699-9CE0-B7DC6C515956.jpeg

C80D60F5-2634-411F-8351-F42BD7620385.jpeg

788BFBFB-F9E5-4FBC-9A80-C2A18C01919C.jpeg

Your last photo tells the story; unless these lines I've circled are on the plastic holder this coin is 100% cleaned.  That is the thing about hairlines, you have to get the coin tilted into the light just right for it to show up, this area looks ok in the NGC photo.

m1.jpeg

Edited by Coinbuf

16 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Your last photo tells the story; unless these lines I've circled are on the plastic holder this coin is 100% cleaned.  That is the thing about hairlines, you have to get the coin tilted into the light just right for it to show up, this area looks ok in the NGC photo.

m1.jpeg

Forget about that small area - based on the added pictures, pretty much the entire obverse and reverse looks cleaned and unnatural.

6 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Forget about that small area - based on the added pictures, pretty much the entire obverse and reverse looks cleaned and unnatural.

I agree but that area is super obvious and really highlights how the top NGC photo does not show this issue.

18 hours ago, King Dry 169 said:

I’m going to add some more photos that I took of the coin myself. I really want to gather as many complete opinions as possible.

Sorry I have no pics of raw coin - the case is brand new if that helps...

Thank you 

EF6EEBEF-DDBA-4D29-849C-227954EA107C.jpeg

9CFB2710-6E54-4F7C-AE82-2C12978E809A.jpeg

08601523-EA68-4699-9CE0-B7DC6C515956.jpeg

C80D60F5-2634-411F-8351-F42BD7620385.jpeg

788BFBFB-F9E5-4FBC-9A80-C2A18C01919C.jpeg

What would be the point of cleaning a coin if you leave cigarette burns as prominently featured on the obverse at 8, 11 and 2:30 o' clock? Fugazy cleaning job.

10 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

I didn’t detect cleaning, when viewing the top photo. However, the coin definitely looks cleaned in each of the additional photos. The sheen/luster don’t look at all natural.

Additionally, my guess is that if you’d asked for grade guesses in your initial post (and not mentioned “cleaning”) those who “saw” cleaning might not have done so.😉

Yes, but unfortunately the coin was already registered. Still you’re probably right,

not everyone would have bothered to look it up.

As for the sheen/luster... it was my amateur opinion that the coin was a PL. Im really not buying the cleaned coin grade ...

Edited by King Dry 169
Additional comment

On 7/30/2020 at 4:56 AM, MarkFeld said:

Additionally, my guess is that if you’d asked for grade guesses in your initial post (and not mentioned “cleaning”) those who “saw” cleaning might not have done so.😉

Interesting point. When I blew up the first picture for a closer look, I saw hairlines immediately. But, if I had just been trying to guess the grade, would I have bothered to blow up the picture?

Something to think about...hm

RE: "I don’t believe this is a cleaned coin."

You are correct. It is a '52 Studebaker convertible.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:04 PM, James_OldeTowne said:

Those photos are inadequate to ascertain "cleaning".  I do like the semi-PL aspect, though!

I am inclined to agree but, unfortunately, my opinion doesn't count.

13 minutes ago, RWB said:

RE: "I don’t believe this is a cleaned coin."

You are correct. It is a '52 Studebaker convertible.

That valuable huh? The previous owner should have gotten himself a more traditional ashtray.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Temperament

On 7/30/2020 at 4:29 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

What would be the point of cleaning a coin if you leave cigarette burns as prominently featured on the obverse at 8, 11 and 2:30 o' clock? Fugazy cleaning job.

Think about it.  The spots on the rim possibly occurred after the coin became hairlined.  BTW, all the TPGS use the word: "Cleaned" to describe all types of imperfections that have ruined the surface (n various degrees of harshness) by chemical or mechanical treatment.  Sometimes both.    

On 8/2/2020 at 2:44 PM, James Lenahan said:

I think there were dark spots under Liberty's chin and by the neck like what's on the rim.  After the dip didn't get it all off, someone rubbed too hard to try and lighten.  Obviously cleaned.

This coin was NOT SCRUBBED,  The impairment can best be seem as a cloudy, whitish patch in the left obverse field.   

The item is actually a photo of actor John Wayne during his "method acting" phase. He was asked to "be" a "silver dollar in a western saloon in 1884" and this was the result. Clearly, he was a pretty good method actor although more popular for delivering cheesy lines through gun smoke.

:)