• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could this be a new discovery of a Roosevelt dime with a special matte finish ?!?!?!
1 1

486 posts in this topic

Just now, Coinbuf said:

I just want to know when Quintus is going to propose to Richie, its a beautiful bromance.

I would volunteer to make the proper introductions at a FUN, Whitman, or ANA show, when we get them back. On the other hand, that might be education overload for either or both.

3 hours ago, RichieRich2020 said:

Well no actually your wrong and it actually doesn't ...  because what  it should actually be telling you is ... is that I like to actually do my research rather then just believing anything I'm told to believe because of who that person is .... because sometimes you can find out years later that it wasn't what you were actually told at all like with the 1943 copper cent and the 7million dollar coin that EXPERTS TOLD THEM WAS FAKE 

*you're

Also, if you like to do your own research, rather than taking to heart what people here are telling you, then why did you even solicit opinions here in the first place?  

5 minutes ago, Morpheus1967 said:

why did you even solicit opinions here in the first place?

Confirmation bias on crack. We're 21st century Americans; it's "what we do" now.

Edited by VKurtB

8 minutes ago, Morpheus1967 said:

why did you even solicit opinions here in the first place?  

The gentleman, an independent researcher, simply seeks validation from as many disparate sources that care to respond.

5 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

I can answer that question  - because the opinions matter/count if they are what he wishes to hear, but otherwise, not.

Psychopathologically speaking, we are all complicit in this now seven-page phenomenon. 

:slapfight:Hey VKurtB:  I was in a 'mine' once.  In Colorado.  Near Leadville.  Near Old Camp Hale.  Near a roaring stream.  Maybe I can help him.

Is this thread going to beat the record?  Wow, like 2004 all over again.

Edited by Alex in PA.

Back in 1988, I went down into a Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania anthracite coal mine to take pictures for a Congressional candidate who wanted to burnish his (way) under the street cred for a campaign mailer. It was about 95 degrees outside and the mine shaft was about 15-20 degrees off of straight down vertical. The "weather" systems we went through on the way down were amazing. The candidate, who was a recent transplant from Michigan, got his clock cleaned.

3 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I just want to know when Quintus is going to propose to Richie, its a beautiful bromance.

Tisk risk ... Well now ... i do believe that i sense a little jealousy in the air somewhere Quintus . 😂

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Back in 1988, I went down into a Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania anthracite coal mine to take pictures for a Congressional candidate who wanted to burnish his (way) under the street cred for a campaign mailer. It was about 95 degrees outside and the mine shaft was about 15-20 degrees off of straight down vertical. The "weather" systems we went through on the way down were amazing. The candidate, who was a recent transplant from Michigan, got his clock cleaned.

Yes.  Nice country there and you're right.  The deeper you go in a mine you can really experience the changes.  I was in a Salt Mine in Austria that was 7,000 years old.  Kept going down and down and I was getting a little phobia.  Tourist thing when I was in Bertchesgaden, Germany on leave.  There was another in Colorado.  called the Molly Kathleen that was 1000 feet deep.  I guess they got gold out it for decades.

8 hours ago, Morpheus1967 said:

*you're

Also, if you like to do your own research, rather than taking to heart what people here are telling you, then why did you even solicit opinions here in the first place?  

So sorry but Im not taking anything to heart lad infact i believe that you may have that the other way around if your reading all these wonderful comments in the post like I have . Because you see i simply shared the coin in this post like anyone else who shares a coin  in a effort to try and gain some logical opinions but eventually I found out the the hard way that no one could actually tell me anything substantial about it since NO ONE has ever actually seen such a coin with this kind of SPECIAL FINISH  ... And that i guess created A GUESSING FRENZY WITH THINGS LIKE  MAGICAL THEORIES of ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE that leave dimes with a smooth even finish ... But hey its really no big deal because THE COIN WILL EVENTUALLY BE AUTHENTICATED  

6 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

I was in a Salt Mine in Austria that was 7,000 years old.  Kept going down and down and I was getting a little phobia. 

I was in the mine they had at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago as a kid. It wasn’t real though, and I knew the difference. Even as a little kid I could tell when something was real or not. 

20 hours ago, RichieRich2020 said:

Well that sounds like great idea . However the only problem with that idea is ... if you tried putting a layer of wax around the edges of the coin before sandblasting it then I'm pretty sure that there would have to be some traces of the wax somewhere inbetween the grooves of the coin and since there isn't any then unfortunately it can't be the wax experiment theory 

I wouldn't bother with wax for sandblasting or laser, Wax would be for acid etching.  And I mentioned how to remove the wax afterward.  And a brief boil in water will remove enough of the wax that you would probably need a scanning electron microscope to find traces in the grooves.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

I wouldn't bother with wax for sandblasting or laser, Wax would be for acid etching.  And I mentioned how to remove the wax afterward.  And a brief boil in water will remove enough of the wax that you would probably need a scanning electron microscope to find traces in the grooves.

Well thats a very excellent theory and maybe you should give it try in a little experiment just to see if it produces the same frosted finish because it sounds simple enough plus i would be very interested in seeing what it would actually look like 

5 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I was in the mine they had at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago as a kid. It wasn’t real though, and I knew the difference. Even as a little kid I could tell when something was real or not. 

That was still a pretty neat exhibit. Very nice for a mock mine. 

6 hours ago, kbbpll said:

Sounds like you had a good time.  Children have an over whelming need to explore.  Thanks for the comment.

I cannot help but feel our learned colleague, VKurtB, is an outlier, erudite and confident enough to consult historical sources at will, and quote them freely with such well-lubricated ease that one may attempt to engage him only at one's peril. I, for one, am both impressed and intimidated. This thread lost me by going off on a tangent with mines. Next thing I know, someone will sweep us along on a spelunking safari. Onlookers to the fray fervently pray Zink Zonk under contract with NGC (at least in my mind) will exterminate the nuisance pestilence this strain of thread has devolved into, but rest assured, we haven't lost a single (allegedly) disinterested party who regularly monitor the site quietly, without comment. Poor RichieRich2020, he never got the validation he sought and matte whatevers are not my area of expertise.

14 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I cannot help but feel our learned colleague, VKurtB, is an outlier, erudite and confident enough to consult historical sources at will, and quote them freely with such well-lubricated ease that one may attempt to engage him only at one's peril. I, for one, am both impressed and intimidated. This thread lost me by going off on a tangent with mines. Next thing I know, someone will sweep us along on a spelunking safari. Onlookers to the fray fervently pray Zink Zonk under contract with NGC (at least in my mind) will exterminate the nuisance pestilence this strain of thread has devolved into, but rest assured, we haven't lost a single (allegedly) disinterested party who regularly monitor the site quietly, without comment. Poor RichieRich2020, he never got the validation he sought and matte whatevers are not my area of expertise.

No sweat at all my friend .  Infact im still very happy and overjoyed with the fact that the most that could be offered about the coins unique finish was experimental theories and expert guessing which continues to indicate that it is A ONE OF A KIND ....  i also have to honestly say that I too couldn't help but notice the temper-tantrums that were being thrown by these seasoned members who were seeking to hopefully water down my post with their own irrelevant discussion about mines . Which sad to say I choose to completely ignore since I love demonstrating what being mature is from time to time.  But anyway ....  I've still enjoyed every second of these lessons and theories about the coins finish because it was very intriguing and very amusing at the same time 😉

Edited by RichieRich2020

On 8/5/2020 at 1:40 PM, Coinbuf said:

On another site that routinely, liberally, and some might say, unjustifiably "collapsed," i.e., censored contributors' remarks -- Be Nice, Be Respectful, was their constant refrain -- I would very often refer to their "Moderation Committee" as the "Prevention of Vice and Promotion of Virtue" squad, a real-life entity not unlike the clerics in Kabul who carried little whips to enforce religious edicts like not cutting off your beard (men) or exposing too much face or ankle (women). If I wanted something more rambunctious than simple courtesy and respect, I could always tune in to Jerry Springer. There have been some eloquent orators who have more than made up for the wild cowboys on this thread, now a respectable 200 post, seven page, thread, long enough to be woven into a garment. Great stuff!

4 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

No caves - but I did go on a safari today. Great time.

On 8/5/2020 at 4:59 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

As a certified admirer of RichieRich2020, I am prepared to make him a very attractive offer for the coin, which evidently skewed the orbit of the earth more so than the last cataclysmic, wide-ranging tsunami (2004) get this now, sight unseen AND prior to submission and authentication.

Im still very curious as to what one might value such a unique coin ... Especially in the case that Im correct and it has a special unique finish which no other collector has ? 

28 minutes ago, RichieRich2020 said:

Im still very curious as to what one might value such a unique coin ... Especially in the case that Im correct and it has a special unique finish which no other collector has ? 

Dang!  I started to tap out a response but the censors overruled me. Briefly, you face a Hobson's choice: echoing some of the heavyweights among us, the coin must be validated, i.e., submitted for authentication and certification, BUT (big but) to do so would make no economic sense.  Suppose you were to roll the dice with a hefty wager and come up snake eyes?  Are you better off buying a slew of scratch offs or lottery tickets with mega long shot odds? There was a gentleman who kindly suggested you shelve your dream, for now. I am inclined to agree. It's a no-win situation.

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Dang!  I started to tap out a response but the censors overruled me. Briefly, you face a Hobson's choice: echoing some of the heavyweights among us, the coin must be validated, i.e., submitted for authentication and certification, BUT (big but) to do so would make no economic sense.  Suppose you were to roll the dice with a hefty wager and come up snake eyes?  Are you better off buying a slew of scratch offs or lottery tickets with mega long shot odds? There was a gentleman who kindly suggested you shelve your dream, for now. I am inclined to agree. It's a no-win situation.

Bingo - it is nothing until you have it authenticated - except to you of course (or another owner of it). So roll the dice - if authenticated - it will add nothing to your belief, but it will convince others. If not - then your dream is shattered and no one else gains anything other than some happy electrons flowing across the screen.

1 minute ago, Zebo said:

Bingo - it is nothing until you have it authenticated - except to you of course (or another owner of it). So roll the dice - if authenticated - it will add nothing to your belief, but it will convince others. If not - then your dream is shattered and no one else gains anything other than some happy electrons flowing across the screen.

Well said. 

5 hours ago, RichieRich2020 said:

Ten. Cents. That's all it will ever be worth. It is an intentionally damaged coin. Such things are without numismatic value.

Edited by VKurtB

7 hours ago, Zebo said:

The closest equivalent I could find in the combined NGC and PCGS population data is for the 1964 which has a combined count of 25 (two and 23).  There are also recognized 1964 for other denominations.  Not sure of the documentary evidence to support the striking but presume others here do and there seem to be enough to corroborate that the coins were struck as claimed.

Otherwise, out of hundreds of thousands, there isn't a single FDR dime from any other date recorded in the population data as a "SP".

57 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

Otherwise, out of hundreds of thousands, there isn't a single FDR dime from any other date recorded in the population data as a "SP".

Exactly! 

44 minutes ago, Zebo said:

Exactly! 

(Oh Lord, this is what they must mean when they say an old thread's got new legs...)