• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could this be a new discovery of a Roosevelt dime with a special matte finish ?!?!?!
1 1

486 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

I can, but I'm just puzzled why you say the edges on yours aren't affected. What would you expect to see that's different from what you have? I believe yours are affected, 

Well you should be able to clearly see that copper and clad composition on the edges and inbetween the grooves of the coin is not the same as the Frosted finish on the rest of the coin in the photos ... And I was also guessing that anyone who has the ability and equipment to do experiments on coins could show how easy it is to create a frosted matte finish on a coin without affecting the edges 

2 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Oh my.  Is this thread still going?

doh!

Sadly yes, both of the trolls promised they were leaving but in true troll fashion both are still here banging their heads on the wall.

(Oh me, oh my.  Reports of the imminent death of this thread are highly exaggerated.)

2 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Sadly yes, both of the trolls promised they were leaving but in true troll fashion both are still here banging their heads on the wall.

That's okay, I've been called worse. The latest exchange is reminiscent of the People's response to the defense: "You opened the door, counselor!"  What fun! (Coinbuf, you too are a contender!)

44 minutes ago, RichieRich2020 said:

Well you should be able to clearly see that copper and clad composition on the edges and inbetween the grooves of the coin is not the same as the Frosted finish on the rest of the coin in the photos ... And I was also guessing that anyone who has the ability and equipment to do experiments on coins could show how easy it is to create a frosted matte finish on a coin without affecting the edges 

Yes, of course. All it takes is a stout collar, like from an IGC slab insert, or an older NGC one, or even an AirTite gasket or ANY type of gasket, but anyway, your edges are NOT crisp and squared off like a newer or early saved coin should be. They are quite seriously beveled. In short, the "valleys" beween the reeds ARE ERODED, as we would expect. They are not unaffected at all.

On edit: I just went back and looked at your edge shots. They very much ARE the same as the two surfaces. Highly eroded. Have a look at how rounded those rims are! This is clearly an acid etched coin.

Edited by VKurtB

:juggle:

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

(Oh me, oh my.  Reports of the imminent death of this thread are highly exaggerated.)

That's okay, I've been called worse. The latest exchange is reminiscent of the People's response to the defense: "You opened the door, counselor!"  What fun! (Coinbuf, you too are a contender!)

And here I was all prepared to call the florist and have the flowers sent.  Oh, silly me.

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 8/2/2020 at 2:31 PM, l.cutler said:

No need to get in such a huff, nobody said it was a hanging offense.  When you join an online forum though, you agree to abide by the rules.  Simple as that.

Had to mull this one over. In my mind, since there was no intent to defraud anyone of tangible goods, this is simply an approach to problem-solving. Kind of like re-submitting previously slabbed coins, only difference being there is no profit motive. So RR2020 resorts to forum shopping hoping, against hope, somebody, anybody, will step up to the plate and proclaim: "Know what, I believe this young man's got something here." After all -- refreshing my recollection by re-reading the entire post beginning with the sadly optimistic "Hello Coin Lovers[!] I just recently found out..." -- suggesting this is what the OP was "told" and not something he conjured up to unnecessarily vex the community at large. The problem with alternate identities is here clearly illuminated.  Spelling, grammar, syntax bolstered incriminatingly by deja vu visuals leaves a signature. And a signature leads to a culprit.  I am not going to lambast the OP,  but I am going to withdraw my hasty remark regarding The Rules.  I should not have been so flippant about The Rules, apologize, and do so humbly and politely.

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Yes, of course. All it takes is a stout collar, like from an IGC slab insert, or an older NGC one, or even an AirTite gasket or ANY type of gasket, but anyway, your edges are NOT crisp and squared off like a newer or early saved coin should be. They are quite seriously beveled. In short, the "valleys" beween the reeds ARE ERODED, as we would expect. They are not unaffected at all.

On edit: I just went back and looked at your edge shots. They very much ARE the same as the two surfaces. Highly eroded. Have a look at how rounded those rims are! This is clearly an acid etched coin.

Wow!  Edges not crisp and squared off; Serious beveling (presumably, dremeling's cousin); Lands ok, Grooves shot; Highly eroded; Acid-etched.  Well, RR2020, you asked for an expert's opinion and got yourself an Autopsy Report.  My condolences!

22 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:Had to mull this one over. In my mind, since there was no intent to defraud anyone of tangible goods, this is simply an approach to problem-solving. Kind of like re-submitting previously slabbed coins, only difference being there is no profit motive. So RR2020 resorts to forum shopping hoping, against hope, somebody, anybody, will step up to the plate and proclaim: "Know what, I believe this young man's got something here." After all -- refreshing my recollection by re-reading the entire post beginning with the sadly optimistic "Hello Coin Lovers[!] I just recently found out..." -- suggesting this is what the OP was "told" and not something he conjured up to unnecessarily vex the community at large. The problem with alternate identities is here clearly illuminated.  Spelling, grammar, syntax bolstered incriminatingly by deja vu visuals leaves a signature. And a signature leads to a culprit.  I am not going to lambast the OP,  but I am going to withdraw my hasty remark regarding The Rules.  I should not have been so flippant about The Rules, apologize, and do so humbly and politely.

Good post and I mean that, sincerely.

I do, however, disagree about “problem-solving” - at least at this point - on the part of the original poster. He’s been told by numerous posters, including experts, that he doesn’t have what he thinks/wishes.
Unless someone agrees with him, I can’t imagine what anyone could say which would satisfy him. And that includes the top grading/authentication companies. My guess is that if he were to submit it to one of them and the coin was deemed to be damaged, he’d say he didn’t get a fair shake.

5 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Good post and I mean that, sincerely.

I do, however, disagree about “problem-solving” - at least at this point - on the part of the original poster. He’s been told by numerous posters, including experts, that he doesn’t have what he thinks/wishes.
Unless someone agrees with him, I can’t imagine what anyone could say which would satisfy him. And that includes the top grading/authentication companies. My guess is that if he were to submit it to one of them and the coin was deemed to be damaged, he’d say he didn’t get a fair shake.

As hinted at in a prior post, there is a peculiar pathology here evidently involving the need for reinforced validation. However, I am not a doctor and rendering an opinion would be practicing medicine without a license, IF you get my drift.

I am frankly shocked this passed muster. I had misgivings, but pressed SUBMIT REPLY nevertheless.  I was hoping to put an end to the open-ended feeding frenzy which just wasn't right.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing word

there is a peculiar pathology here evidently involving the need for reinforced validation

I think of it as "numismatic psychosis". I'm not going to write up a thesis on it, but we see many people exhibiting similar behavior. (I said this thread was no longer worth bothering with, yet here I am. Maybe I have it too).

Just now, kbbpll said:

I think of it as "numismatic psychosis". I'm not going to write up a thesis on it, but we see many people exhibiting similar behavior. (I said this thread was no longer worth bothering with, yet here I am. Maybe I have it too).

No, no, you do not. (I did, however, find your crack about the nefarious cabal somewhat out of character for you.😀) You've posted some really interesting comments and I value your opinion. Keep up the good work!

Feeding Trolls only makes them hungry. Their appetite for attention is boundless. Anyone what to help plant garlic at the executive mansion?

8 minutes ago, RWB said:

Feeding Trolls only makes them hungry. Their appetite for attention is boundless. Anyone what to help plant garlic at the executive mansion?

Trolls. With a capital T! You lost me on the Executive Mansion.

Well despite all these COMICAL comments I will again stand firm and say that what I SEE AND KNOW is that environmental damage does not cause a dime to ever have A PERFECTLY EVEN MATTE FINISH ON BOTH SIDES OF A COIN  . Its that simple .... And its almost impossible if not impossible altogether to simply sandblast or acid dip any coins without affecting the COPPER and CLAD EDGES as also demonstrated in the photos which im sure that alot of the TROLLS here can see and yet repeatedly attempt to suggest without providing ONE EXAMPLE of other coins to show how likely that really is ... 

Oh and one more very important FACT ... having rounded and worn edges on a coin from 1993 should be VERY self explanatory for any coin collector or expert . However if i need to try and explain how rounded and worn edges can occur over time then i can certainly try if that would help as I am no expert ... although something in my gut is already telling me that you probably are already FULLY AWARE of this despite what your suggesting .... just like saying that the grooves on the edges of the coin now somehow magically has the same Frosted finish as the rest of the coin despite all the photos showing that its doesn't which leads me to believe that what YOU'RE SAYING is either in your IMAGINATION or that your computer screen really needs to be cleaned because it is being affected by a rare form of fairy 🧚‍♀️ dust ....

Edited by RichieRich2020

[Allow me to preface my "flowery soapbox" style speech by offering a plausible reply to the poster who denounced me as a specially-designated Troll (yes, with a Capital T) and pointedly threw into my face the charge, framed as an accusation, that I had promised to take leave of this now legendary free-for-all:  I LIED! Simple as that.]

Now, where were we?... Oh yeah, RichieRich2020. For sheer staying power -- an intermittent post spread over five remarkable pages! -- you are the undisputed champ!!! I don't even remember what we were talking about. It's not even important because the default, go-to conclusion is problematic at best: submit it for autopsy, with a big WHAT IF looming.  I don't know that it is possible to grade a coin virtually. I suspect even Fifth or Sixth Party Graders, with no axe to grind, would insist on a personal, physical consultation. That being said, and having exhausted the patience of onlookers (eager to go on to the next wildebeest mugging) I respectfully suggest you solicit an expert, if not professional, opinion again after waiting a decent interval for the air to clear.  You will always be tops in my book and, talking about books, the Richie Rich comic books I enjoyed in my youth (circa late1950s/1960s) were terrific, especially the collaboration with Casper the Ghost!

[Allow me to preface my "flowery soapbox" style speech by offering a plausible reply to the poster who denounced me as a specially-designated Troll (yes, with a Capital T) and pointedly threw into my face the charge, framed as an accusation, that I had promised to take leave of this now legendary free-for-all:  I LIED! Simple as that.]

Now, where were we?... Oh yeah, RichieRich2020. For sheer staying power -- an intermittent post spread over five remarkable pages! -- you are the undisputed champ!!! I don't even remember what we were talking about. It's not even important because the default, go-to conclusion is problematic at best: submit it for autopsy, with a big WHAT IF looming.  I don't know that it is possible to grade a coin virtually. I suspect even Fifth or Sixth Party Graders, with no axe to grind, would insist on a personal, physical consultation. That being said, and having exhausted the patience of onlookers (eager to go on to the next wildebeest mugging) I respectfully suggest you solicit an expert, if not professional, opinion again after waiting a decent interval for the air to clear.  You will always be tops in my book and, talking about books, the Richie Rich comic books I enjoyed in my youth (circa late1950s/1960s) were terrific, especially the collaboration with Casper the Ghost!

Well just to elaborate a little on the TROLL comment . I couldn't help but notice that alot of the other coin collectors in this group seem to really enjoy calling intelligent people who are smart enough to ask questions and point out things that quite DONT ADD UP ... TROLLS . And so i was actually referring to only those individuals who like to lowkey use the TROLL insult just be honest . But i do really appreciate your logical thought  process in the matter because its very clear that alot of the other professional coin collectors seem to have a very unique way with throwing absolutely anything out there especially if their UNSUPPORTED OPINIONS is ever disagreed with or challenged  ... 

Edited by RichieRich2020

Man, the cointalk thread had 105 responses. Mostly the same as here. This thread has beaten his old record of arguing about a non-existent special finish by over 30 responses and still going!:roflmao: 

12 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Man, the cointalk thread had 105 responses. Mostly the same as here. This thread has beaten his old record of arguing about a non-existent special finish by over 30 responses and still going!:roflmao: 

The thing of it is, the thread collapses like a deck of cards without our input.  Row well, and live!

To all who read this, you may quote me for attribution:  "I want to go on record with an observation, stated unconditionally and unequivocally: RICHIERICH2020 IS TOPS IN MY BOOK!"

There, I said it.

However annoying, his use of capitalized words are impeccable. I could hear him pounding his keyboard and angrily typing all the way over hear. I wonder if he has better things to do than try to persuade others into his numismatic cult of worshipping the false matte dime. 

4 hours ago, RichieRich2020 said:

Well despite all these COMICAL comments I will again stand firm and say that what I SEE AND KNOW is that environmental damage does not cause a dime to ever have A PERFECTLY EVEN MATTE FINISH ON BOTH SIDES OF A COIN  . Its that simple .... And its almost impossible if not impossible altogether to simply sandblast or acid dip any coins without affecting the COPPER and CLAD EDGES as also demonstrated in the photos which im sure that alot of the TROLLS here can see and yet repeatedly attempt to suggest without providing ONE EXAMPLE of other coins to show how likely that really is ... 

Oh and one more very important FACT ... having rounded and worn edges on a coin from 1993 should be VERY self explanatory for any coin collector or expert . However if i need to try and explain how rounded and worn edges can occur over time then i can certainly try if that would help as I am no expert ... although something in my gut is already telling me that you probably are already FULLY AWARE of this despite what your suggesting .... just like saying that the grooves on the edges of the coin now somehow magically has the same Frosted finish as the rest of the coin despite all the photos showing that its doesn't which leads me to believe that what YOU'RE SAYING is either in your IMAGINATION or that your computer screen really needs to be cleaned because it is being affected by a rare form of fairy 🧚‍♀️ dust ....

I mean, I don't know much about nature, but I'm pretty sure both acid etching and sandblasting are not from the environment. So RR2020 does have a point.

6 minutes ago, Big Nub numismatics said:

However annoying, his use of capitalized words are impeccable. I could hear him pounding his keyboard and angrily typing all the way over hear. I wonder if he has better things to do than try to persuade others into his numismatic cult of worshipping the false matte dime. 

So whether you like it or not unfortunately IT IS NOT environmental damage as alot of collectors have tried to suggest ... and it don't take a rocket scientist or even an coin expert to see that . And whether it is a matte finish or not i for one am not the going to bothered by it because it is still A ONE OF A KIND FIND with a very unique finish that no other Roosevelt dime has so please just GET OVER IT AND TROLL ON or please offer some PROOF OF A COIN LIKE IT to support your theory ... to show EVERYONE just how wrong the OP is . LOL

1 hour ago, bsshog40 said:

Well I'm starting to believe that someone has a secret crush on old RichieRich2020... Because i couldn't help but notice how in some of your comments youve been focusing on my old post rather then focusing on the actual coin in the discussion . Which if you ask me is a little bit stalkerish  ... lol:roflmao: 

Look, here’s what’s going to happen. Some day, you’re going to send that coin in to a grading company and it’s going to come back in a “body bag” with the description “Altered Surfaces”. There will be no more detail than that. No Dremels, no acid, no sandblasting, nothing. Just Altered Surfaces. I suggest you print out this entire thread and file it with your junk coin in the body bag.

Good one ... the body bag jab was very witty . And maybe so . But if not , then what ...  Would you be making A REAL OFFER for a one of kind special finish coin to show everyone what a real collector and good sport you are and would you eat your words like a man . Now that is the real question ?  

Edited by RichieRich2020

As a certified admirer of RichieRich2020, I am prepared to make him a very attractive offer for the coin, which evidently skewed the orbit of the earth more so than the last cataclysmic, wide-ranging tsunami (2004) get this now, sight unseen AND prior to submission and authentication.

I can do this because apparently, with the exception of a few hold-outs, you guys just don't get it. You do not understand RichieRich2020. And I, destined to win by 37 lengths, do. Ha! Ha! Ha!