• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could this be a new discovery of a Roosevelt dime with a special matte finish ?!?!?!
1 1

486 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2022 at 7:01 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Aside: Psychoanalysis when performed professionally requires the presence of the patient. A notary public will not affix his seal in your absence. Likewise coins. We may all have our doubts, but the proof is in the pudding. We must see the coin--front, back and edge, before we can make an informed judgment. IMHO.]

So it sounds like you're saying we should never comment on a posted photo because we can't be certain.  Is that correct?

On 6/26/2022 at 9:48 AM, Oldhoopster said:

So it sounds like you're saying we should never comment on a posted photo because we can't be certain.  Is that correct?

...in QA's defense, but mostly cause im bored, i think he was referring to no photo of JamieE's '56 roosevelt coin...but for anyone to dwell on the OP's discussion from 18 months ago n especially one from RR that would require pyschoanalysis....

@Oldhoopster:

The Forum, on occasion, plays Guess the Grade. Although this is an old thread, that has been revived creatively and is still ON TOPIC, my answer would be yes, ideally, the membership would have a much better idea of the relic being assessed if we were afforded access to it. Barring that, a good photo--obverse/reverse/edge--would serve as a point of departure. At this juncture we have little more than @Judy B's assertion and @JamieE's query. The former can be helped should she choose to offer photos in support of her position.  Not so the latter, as the status of that coin remains unresolved nearly two years after the OP took a powder.  Capiche?

On 6/26/2022 at 10:13 AM, zadok said:

...in QA's defense, ....

That's a risky stance and a path fraught with peril. All who've sided with me in the past have sacrificed some measure of their credit worthiness and credibility. Following me is akin to receiving the Kiss of Death.

On 7/1/2022 at 1:02 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

That's a risky stance and a path fraught with peril. All who've sided with me in the past have sacrificed some measure of their credit worthiness and credibility. Following me is akin to receiving the Kiss of Death.

...i follow no one...im reasonably certain my credit is in good standing....

On 7/1/2022 at 10:39 AM, VKurtB said:

Really? Someone thought this thread needed to come back from the dead? That’s it! I’m getting garlic to hang around my neck, and some wooden stakes. Maybe a box of silver bullets. 

No need for that. I believe you've established well beyond a shadow of any doubt that you enjoy unconditional immunity on the Forum.  😉 

On 7/1/2022 at 12:21 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

No need for that. I believe you've established well beyond a shadow of any doubt that you enjoy unconditional immunity on the Forum.  😉 

Not true. I have been “corrected”. Even asked to tone some things down. 

On 7/1/2022 at 3:39 PM, VKurtB said:

Not true. I have been “corrected”. Even asked to tone some things down. 

A courtesy call 📞?  Well, there you go! Me, I got swatted like a common gnat. And got flowers from the Great Z for my trouble. Man, I love this place!  (worship)

On 7/1/2022 at 2:46 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

A courtesy call 📞?  Well, there you go! Me, I got swatted like a common gnat. And got flowers from the Great Z for my trouble. Man, I love this place!  (worship)

I just think you wandered into the pro-troll side a few times too many. Even the moderators know trolling when they see it. 

On 7/1/2022 at 8:06 PM, zadok said:

...very very few of the obit threads worth reviving...but yet it continues to happen...if they were pertinent they would still be active....

You honor me with your presence.  Just to set the record straight, this thread was inadvertently revived by a new member whose faux pas was compounded by yet another new member.  Being true to my nature, I simply took advantage of the mayhem to create a little of my own. It should be noted that only one fellow member lobbed criticism my way [MM] who stated quite frankly he did not think much of my proclivity for trolling. Ouch!  Now that hurt!  :makepoint:

On 8/2/2020 at 2:14 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Quintus:  I watch and wait for the continuation of this saga.  "mad scientist VKurtB's experimentation with acid baths and, quite frankly, his magical collection of fonts from which he drew that outsized "ME"! "

I love it!  Good show.

PS:  There's some people on this forum who get a little touchy about things.  I first signed on in 2002 and by 2005 I was gone.  Guess it just gets too heated.  Besides, people should have found the humor in this.  And BTW folks there a tens of thousands of posters out there operating under various nomme de guerres

No, nobody's resurrecting anything here.  I should just like to direct the kind reader's attention to this post which I believe----standing alone----speaks for itself and is deserving of more than its fair share of attention.  If you agree, honk your horn!  :whistle:

On 6/26/2022 at 10:13 AM, zadok said:

...in QA's defense, ....

To members who adamantly reject my seemingly preposterous claim that there was a time, not long ago, when  the Great z leaped to my defense, I submit for your amusement, this snippet of cyberproof.  :facepalm:  :roflmao:

OK, RR2020, retread guy here, giving your old thread a quick once-over...

It's been well over two years now...  Where exactly do we stand now on your topic post concerning a New Discovery of a Rosie with a Special Matte finish [followed by a succession of alternating ?/! punctuation marks?]

Don't be afraid to speak up.  Fully half your detractors have long since fled the premises.  I am all ears.

On 11/20/2022 at 12:46 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

OK, RR2020, retread guy here, giving your old thread a quick once-over...

It's been well over two years now...  Where exactly do we stand now on your topic post concerning a New Discovery of a Rosie with a Special Matte finish [followed by a succession of alternating ?/! punctuation marks?]

Don't be afraid to speak up.  Fully half your detractors have long since fled the premises.  I am all ears.

Pardon me, but no. THIS is all ears. 
A165DC19-7236-4D28-B0F9-52A870E83135.jpeg.1b855a72b7d4e0ed91b711f8758e52e7.jpeg

Not saying it's something special or not... just that I found this post because I Googled 1993 dime with matte finish. What do you all think? Mine doesn't look at even as the OP, but definitely different than the other dimes.

20230214_232738.jpg

20230214_232753.jpg

Edited by JNelson27

On 2/14/2023 at 9:30 PM, JNelson27 said:

Not saying it's something special or not... just that I found this post because I Googled 1993 dime with matte finish. What do you all think? Mine doesn't look at even as the OP, but definitely different than the other dimes.

Welcome to the forum, what you have is just post mint damage, perhaps the victim of a bath in a mild acid like pool acid.   Notice how the hair on the obv bust looks melted, the coin did not leave the mint in this condition.

On 2/14/2023 at 9:54 PM, JNelson27 said:

Okay, thanks! Just learning. Though I must say... reading through this particular thread was hilarious and I was happy to contribute to it. 🤣 Looking forward to other discussions.

Glad to see you here and looking forward to learning more about what you collect.   Coins like the one you posted are actually quite commonplace in circulation, some are created in an attempt to deceive, others are the products of boredom, and even the odd everyday mishaps of life.

Hate to disagree with anyone....BUT I have a 1981 S " PROOF " dime with similar attributions.   As well as other dimes......and no one I know of bathed the coins in acid.

Good luck to All....in our coin quests !!   In retrospect could be the formation of the planchet material.

Edited by JamieE

On 2/15/2023 at 8:55 AM, JamieE said:

Hate to disagree with anyone....BUT I have a 1981 S " PROOF " dime with similar attributions.   As well as other dimes......and no one I know of bathed the coins in acid.

Good luck to All....in our coin quests !!   In retrospect could be the formation of the planchet material.

I am sure your dime is a bit different being a proof .The dimes posted above are regular strike. The Denver coin in the center looks like environmental damage or some kind of PMD to me. I roll hunt all the time and I do see coins like this a lot. 

Edited by J P M

On 2/15/2023 at 7:55 AM, JamieE said:

You have a matte 1981-S proof dime? That’s amazing. No such thing was ever made. On the other hand, many 1981 proof dimes were liberated from 1981 sets that were broken up for their Type 2 SBA dollars, providing lots of dimes to screw around with. 

Edited by VKurtB

I also thought perhaps it was something with the planchet and not a special coating. It also has a slight pink tone that you can't really tell from the pictures. But anyway, interesting coin nonetheless. I am keeping it...never know. Lol

I also thought perhaps it was something with the planchet and not a special coating. It also has a slight pink tone that you can't really tell from the pictures. But anyway, interesting coin nonetheless. I am keeping it...never know. Lol

Anything unusual with the planchet would have been removed by the MIRRORED FINISH DIES. Planchets are not where the finish comes from. It comes from the DIES. What you are looking at is a screwed with coin. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/15/2023 at 3:24 PM, JNelson27 said:

Pink is probably the copper showing

Different chemicals and exposures can cause them to tarnish slightly different colors also. Could be the acid it was bathed in caused it to tone that pinkish color. I found a West Point quarter and I wasnt paying attention and dropped it in my pocket with a zippo lighter. The zippo had leaked fluid in my pocket and it toned that quarter pink and blue colors. I also agree with @Coinbuf. It has that look to it they get from being exposed to acid. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 7/27/2020 at 7:05 AM, Greenstang said:

It was sandblasted after the coin was struck. By your own Google account it says that the coins were sandblasted after the coins were minted which would not make it an error. Anyone can alter the surface of a coin but that would make it damage, not something of value.

NOTE:  I am well aware this is one of the more radioactive threads being maintained on this Forum, as well as one of its older ones.  Age, however, should not be a consideration when entertaining the continued relevancy of the subject matter being discussed. 

The OP [who became a member a few years ago, submitted a question a day after joining, and departed for parts unknown a month later] quoted a question submitted to Google: "how are matte finish coins made" (sic) (leading word not capitalized/no question mark)

The reply, in pertinent part, read:  "One method, popularized by the Paris Mint, involved striking the coins with unpolished dies and sandblasting them after after they were struck...." [Italicized text mine.]

I believe a fair reading of the reply provided by Google clearly states any action taken in producing a matte finish was undertaken by the Paris Mint inside the confines of same. If this were the case, this does not constitute post-mint damage (PMD).

I make no comment on any other aspect of the thread or the hundreds of exchanges engaged in by participating members over the course of sixteen pages of posts. I seek not retraction or rescission but review and reflection.

On 6/6/2023 at 5:10 PM, Henri Charriere said:

NOTE:  I am well aware this is one of the more radioactive threads being maintained on this Forum, as well as one of its older ones.  Age, however, should not be a consideration when entertaining the continued relevancy of the subject matter being discussed. 

The OP [who became a member a few years ago, submitted a question a day after joining, and departed for parts unknown a month later] quoted a question submitted to Google: "how are matte finish coins made" (sic) (leading word not capitalized/no question mark)

The reply, in pertinent part, read:  "One method, popularized by the Paris Mint, involved striking the coins with unpolished dies and sandblasting them after after they were struck...." [Italicized text mine.]

I believe a fair reading of the reply provided by Google clearly states any action taken in producing a matte finish was undertaken by the Paris Mint inside the confines of same. If this were the case, this does not constitute post-mint damage (PMD).

I make no comment on any other aspect of the thread or the hundreds of exchanges engaged in by participating members over the course of sixteen pages of posts. I seek not retraction or rescission but review and reflection.

When mints engage in this type of post-striking treatment, they tend to be marketed heavily, not surreptitiously sneaked into the commerce flow. That's their reason to do them - to get people to buy them.