• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could this be a new discovery of a Roosevelt dime with a special matte finish ?!?!?!
1 1

486 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, l.cutler said:

No need to get in such a huff, nobody said it was a hanging offense.  When you join an online forum though, you agree to abide by the rules.  Simple as that.

True indeed, but begs the question why wasn't this all pointed out to the violator politely, at the outset? Instead, ravenous wolves blindfolded him and paraded him around with a giant scarlet letter on his chest. As Trump would Trumpet on Twitter: UNFAIR!!!

16 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

This is an incredible, er uh, assertion [I, again, am absolutely unable to contest]!  I mean, if we were talking Dahlonega, I would be inclined to accept it.  But Denver. DENVER? Meaning what, Philadelphia is King? (And S.F. is a mere footstool?) I, the rank amateur, never knew this. Such esoteric thoughts have never even occurred to me. One thing for sure, on this site, forum, chatroom, you VKurtB, are a mighty contender! There are comments you have posted here, in casual, off-handed manner, that reflects a deep, intimate first-hand knowledge of operations I am definitely not privy to.  Insider knowledge.  Stuff that only an investigative reporter can uncover stated, with steely confidence. My hat is off to you!  Every time I see your byline I go, Whoa! Like in the old E.F. Hutton commercials: "When [VKurtB] talks, people listen." Remember? I have learned things from you I have never dreamt of. Again, my hat is off to you!

Yes, Philadelphia is king. This is widely known in the field of numismatics. Formerly, all Mint management was in Philadelphia, but fairly recently (in coin terms) they were moved to Washington. All mints other than Philadelphia are known as “branch mints”. Only Philly is THE Mint.

You can find the tools to blow up your font on the above Toolbar. Jeez, do I have to teach everything?

By the way, the list of mints that I have personally visited includes Philadelphia, Denver, San Francisco (old), San Francisco (current - outside photos only, they don’t let people in), Carson City, New Orleans, the old Canadian Mint in Ottawa, the Tower Hill Mint in London, England, and the new British Royal Mint in Llantrisant, Wales. I intend to visit the Dahlonega site early next year.

BTW, at the other site where our OP previously pushed his dime, having two account names is a banning offense. They are really inflexible over there on their “rules”. In my opinion, the chief moderator over there is a [nickname for John appended to slang term for the gluteals], but that’s just my opinion.

Edited by VKurtB

54 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

True indeed, but begs the question why wasn't this all pointed out to the violator politely, at the outset? Instead, ravenous wolves blindfolded him and paraded him around with a giant scarlet letter on his chest. As Trump would Trumpet on Twitter: UNFAIR!!!

How is it that you know how the op was treated on another forum, inquiring minds what to know.

14 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

How is it that you know how the op was treated on another forum, inquiring minds what to know.

Coinbuf, what a pleasant surprise!  Actually, I do not know except for what I have witnessed on this forum with my own lying eyes. Massive, redundant and entrenched references to the "other" forum. And all, for what, the GOP's nagging insistence he had something unique and special? Reminds me of the old manual meat grinder my mother had, as a child. There are some people who can only feel alive with gladiator-like knock-around stimulation. It is possible this op[erative] is of that species. From what I gather, it is not okay to hide behind more than one pseudonym, but decimating an "opponent" as one would an intruder?Be my guest! Huh?  It seems we ought to be above that. (According to the purported after-action report, the crime scene technicians reported finding no evidence of a skirmish at the scene.) Aah: The power of a virtual beat-down even old Saddam's henchman would be envious of. We've all got bigger fish to fry. I take my leave here, and as Miss. Gov. Ross Barnett famously said to James Meredith at the door to Ole Miss, "do so, politely."

14 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

As I see you are pretty new here, I can see why you have no idea who Mark Feld is. This is a man that you would rather have on your numismatic side,...

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Non-responsive

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Yes, Philadelphia is king. This is widely known in the field of numismatics. Formerly, all Mint management was in Philadelphia, but fairly recently (in coin terms) they were moved to Washington. All mints other than Philadelphia are known as “branch mints”. Only Philly is THE Mint.

You can find the tools to blow up your font on the above Toolbar. Jeez, do I have to teach everything?

By the way, the list of mints that I have personally visited includes Philadelphia, Denver, San Francisco (old), San Francisco (current - outside photos only, they don’t let people in), Carson City, New Orleans, the old Canadian Mint in Ottawa, the Tower Hill Mint in London, England, and the new British Royal Mint in Llantrisant, Wales. I intend to visit the Dahlonega site early next year.

BTW, at the other site where our OP previously pushed his dime, having two account names is a banning offense. They are really inflexible over there on their “rules”. In my opinion, the chief moderator over there is a [nickname for John appended to slang term for the gluteals], but that’s just my opinion.

In my mind, all mints are created equally, at different times. I believe the first time I saw a Philly mint mark, if I am not mistaken, was when it appeared (like your giant "ME") on the reverse side of a war nickel. Toolbar? None on this cheap knock-off import. I haven't been on a computer in years. 

34 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Coinbuf, what a pleasant surprise!  Actually, I do not know except for what I have witnessed on this forum with my own lying eyes. Massive, redundant and entrenched references to the "other" forum. And all, for what, the GOP's nagging insistence he had something unique and special? Reminds me of the old manual meat grinder my mother had, as a child. There are some people who can only feel alive with gladiator-like knock-around stimulation. It is possible this op[erative] is of that species. From what I gather, it is not okay to hide behind more than one pseudonym, but decimating an "opponent" as one would an intruder?Be my guest! Huh?  It seems we ought to be above that. (According to the purported after-action report, the crime scene technicians reported finding no evidence of a skirmish at the scene.) Aah: The power of a virtual beat-down even old Saddam's henchman would be envious of. We've all got bigger fish to fry. I take my leave here, and as Miss. Gov. Ross Barnett famously said to James Meredith at the door to Ole Miss, "do so, politely."

Well you certainly do love flowery soapbox speeches, it sure does appear that you have an axe to grind, I don't know why nor do I care but it has added some entertainment value to this thread.  For myself I'm a simple and direct guy so I'll just say ado and I doubt you will be missed too much.

3 hours ago, l.cutler said:

Many people do use aliases, my user name is not my real name.  There is a huge difference though between an alias like this, and getting booted on one name and then using another to get back on.  This is clearly a violation of the rules on 

2 hours ago, Zebo said:

Oops - wrong forum.

Was it something someone said? Sorry!

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

Well you certainly do love flowery soapbox speeches, it sure does appear that you have an axe to grind, I don't know why nor do I care but it has added some entertainment value to this thread.  For myself I'm a simple and direct guy so I'll just say ado and I doubt you will be missed too much.

That's "adieu" not "ado." No axe to grind. None. (I am wary of incurring the wrath of jackhammer-wielding VKurtB.) Allow me to take this opportunity to let you know how much I appreciate your insightful commentary. This isn't about me. It's about "Could this could be a new discovery." Do come back soon!

3 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Quintus:  I watch and wait for the continuation of this saga.  "mad scientist VKurtB's experimentation with acid baths and, quite frankly, his magical collection of fonts from which he drew that outsized "ME"! "

I love it!  Good show.

PS:  There's some people on this forum who get a little touchy about things.  I first signed on in 2002 and by 2005 I was gone.  Guess it just gets too heated.  Besides, people should have found the humor in this.  And BTW folks there a tens of thousands of posters out there operating under various nomme de guerres

I gather as much. One thing I have noticed is there are those who can dish it out, but can't take it in return. And my posts, dripping with sarcasm, are not appreciated by those who are accustomed to jousting in the more direct, conventional, I say what I mean, and mean what I say-manner. A man comes on the forum seeking explanation and validation -- and is promptly dispatched. We should all agree to disagree, more agreeably. Or is that not in the Rules?

On 7/28/2020 at 8:07 AM, Greenstang said:

The OP has two different postings active on the same coin.

To see replies from DWLang, VKurtB, etc. see the post listed in the "ASK NGC/NCS" Forum 

Better turn yourself in, OP. They've got the U.S. Marshals hot on your trail!

On 7/31/2020 at 9:30 PM, Coinbuf said:

Interesting I would have guessed 8

C'mon Coinbuf. Correct the typo. (He didn't mean that, RR2020.) Right, Coinbuf?

4 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

True indeed, but begs the question why wasn't this all pointed out to the violator politely, at the outset?

gmarguli linked the discussion on the other forum on the very first page of this one. The jig was up early on. You act like that on forums, you get treated like that. I'm not sure all your word salad was worth it over somebody's sandblasted or Dremeled coin, but it's been fun.

Well guys, I do think, all things aside, that we will hear from the OP in question again.  I do hope that he or she enjoyed this as much as I did.  Y'all take care guys.

2 hours ago, kbbpll said:

gmarguli linked the discussion on the other forum on the very first page of this one. The jig was up early on. You act like that on forums, you get treated like that. I'm not sure all your word salad was worth it over somebody's sandblasted or Dremeled coin, but it's been fun.

You're probably right. (What the heck is Dremeled? Something to do with nefarious cabal? Got me there!)

@Quintus Arrius it doesn’t matter how you have “considered” the various mints. They are not “equals” and never have been. Philadelphia has always been the main mint and all others are branch mints. Until recently, 1996 apparently, all working dies were made at Philly and sent to the branch mints. 

I dunno, maybe assembling a high end set of French Roosters has taken away from a general education in numismatics. Could be?

These things I know are not deep dark secrets. They come from decades of reading and studying. My numismatic library is not expressed in tons anymore because I had to downsize less than a year ago. I had to get rid of a lot and pare down to the essentials. 

9 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

@Quintus Arrius it doesn’t matter how you have “considered” the various mints. They are not “equals” and never have been. Philadelphia has always been the main mint and all others are branch mints. Until recently, 1996 apparently, all working dies were made at Philly and sent to the branch mints. 

I dunno, maybe assembling a high end set of French Roosters has taken away from a general education in numismatics. Could be?

These things I know are not deep dark secrets. They come from decades of reading and studying. My numismatic library is not expressed in tons anymore because I had to downsize less than a year ago. I had to get rid of a lot and pare down to the essentials. 

Dremeled! Roosters! Ha! Ha! Ha!  I wish my brother were around to see all this commotion.  You guys are the best! All of you, and VKurtB in particular. I "stopped out" of collecting shortly after silver was taken out of coins. My knowledge (besides occasional updates like the 1870-CC dollar and 1913 matte proof cent) is circa the late 1960's.  My brother continued collecting up until his death.  I have no idea what happened to his vast collections of collectibles. Everything, presumably, was in storage. My mother died. My father, then 96, a descendant of the Hittites, was overseas in the land of his forefathers. A veritable treasure was lost by default (succession laws). I am [damned near] 70 now. Too old to pick up where I left off. I should be divesting myself of everything. At least that's what these auction houses bombarding me periodically seem to believe. (Remind me, please, to put that heavy, bronze? palm-sized, Chinese "cash" coin in remarkably well-preserved condition on this site for someone to ID for me. I picked it up from an old-timer in New York's Chinatown 50 years ago.) Toolbar, Dremeled & Roosters. Nice!

24 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Noted, thanks!

You would be surprised what people do to coins with one of these things. Lol 

3 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

You would be surprised what people do to coins with one of these things. Lol 

I can just imagine.

1 hour ago, bsshog40 said:

:facepalm:

dremel.jpeg

And so how do we explain to other coin collectors in the group that the coin does not have any scruff markings as demonstrated in the photos bsshog40 .... because I suppose that the Dremel tool you so happily posted to prove me wrong would magically erase those as well ...  😂😂😂

Don’t buy the Dremel story. The ultrasonic cleaner using micro-cavitation and acid is the one you need. You would “poop” a metaphorical brick if you saw the number of effects I can get with that machine and various chemicals and padding on the bottom of the tank. Everything from denim patches to fine cotton floss to literal Silly Putty. Always on the lookout for more things to try.

For example, have you ever used a Kodak formula intended to get Fixer stains out of clothing and towels as a coin dip to remove unwanted toning? Well, I have. And it’s far more gentle on silver coins than EZest is. FAAAAAAAR more gentle. Here’s where it gets interesting. Flip it from low pH to high pH, and it actually adds toning.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/31/2020 at 7:47 PM, RichieRich2020 said:

And by the way the word SITE is actually spelled S.I.T.E NOT S.I.G.H.T just for educational purposes ... 😂😂😂

On 7/31/2020 at 7:24 PM, RichieRich2020 said:

DESPITE the fact that there was actually a glass case right infront of me with over 100 sliver dimes in it that I had just finished staring at ...

By the way.  The word is silver, not sliver.  Just for educational purposes.  

9 hours ago, RichieRich2020 said:

And so how do we explain to other coin collectors in the group that the coin does not have any scruff markings as demonstrated in the photos bsshog40 .... because I suppose that the Dremel tool you so happily posted to prove me wrong would magically erase those as well ...  😂😂😂

This dremel has nothing to do with your POS coin. It was posted for someone else that was unsure what dremeling was. Hopefully your TROLL thread and you will be removed today!!

4 hours ago, Morpheus1967 said:

By the way.  The word is silver, not sliver.  Just for educational purposes.  

I cannot help but feel those were accurately described as "slivers," part of a wave of fantastical error coins about to sweep the nation and far superior to anything submitted for our approval thus far. Perchance to dream.

10 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Always on the lookout for more things to try.

The thing that concerns me is the realization I would very likely purchase a coin that had been subjected to your laboratorial skills solely on the strength of your scholarship, experience and imprimatur -- sight unseen. Now, that is a compliment!

33 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

The thing that concerns me is the realization I would very likely purchase a coin that had been subjected to your laboratorial skills solely on the strength of your scholarship, experience and imprimatur -- sight unseen. Now, that is a compliment!

I don't think you're likely to. I experiment on dirt cheap world coins acquired at coin club auctions in plastic bags. I sort them by metal and pitch them into jars for later experiments. A lot of countries use our Cu/Ni 75/25 alloy. The neat thing about aluminum/brass coins (like pre-euro modern French low denomination stuff) is the WILD colors I can get on those coins. Here's the best advice I've got: Don't. Buy. For. Color. Like, ever.

Edited by VKurtB

21 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I don't think you're likely to. I experiment on dirt cheap world coins acquired at coin club auctions in plastic bags. I sort them by metal and pitch them into jars for later experiments. A lot of countries use our Cu/Ni 75/25 alloy. The neat thing about aluminum/brass coins (like pre-euro modern French low denomination stuff) is the WILD colors I can get on those coins. Here's the best advice I've got: Don't. Buy. For. Color. Like, ever.

So this is just a side question... But do you think you could you possibly test a clad dime with the same theories that were mentioned all throughout the thread just to show everyone how a matte finish dime can be created without affecting its edges .... Because i think that it would be a wonderful experiment and excellent lesson 🤔 

Edited by RichieRich2020

44 minutes ago, RichieRich2020 said:

So this is just a side question... But do you think you could you possibly test a clad dime with the same theories that were mentioned all throughout the thread just to show everyone how a matte finish dime can be created without affecting its edges .... Because i think that it would be a wonderful experiment and excellent lesson 🤔 

I can, but I'm just puzzled why you say the edges on yours aren't affected. What would you expect to see that's different from what you have? I believe yours are affected,