• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could this be a new discovery of a Roosevelt dime with a special matte finish ?!?!?!
1 1

486 posts in this topic

Hello Coin Lovers I just recently found out from a local coin and antique auctioneer that I may have discovered what could be known as the only Roosevelt in the world with a Matte finish or some other form of specail frosted finish ...

Now the coin weighs between  2.2 and 2.3 grams and has an EVEN FROSTED FINISH on both sides of the coin and the edges are COMPLETELY NORMAL like every other clad dime in the world and is UNEFFECTED by the frosted finish . Which I'm very happy to say rules out the infamous environmental damage theories. 😏

Additionally ... I'm also told that because there are no other known Roosevelt dimes in the world that has this unique finish and no other collector has one in their collection the coin is not only very rare but it would also be PRICELESS SINCE IT IS THE ONLY ONE KNOWN TO EXSIST ... And so I'm hoping that someone could help me shed a little light on how this could have happened at the mint ?20200722_152910.thumb.jpg.9daabd4e03b914b6ca83678334d8c179.jpg20200723_181920.thumb.jpg.6b18d1cd17e8fbf7c5c4479e4caccac4.jpg20200725_092913.thumb.jpg.db0ac7c7f3c0c2290b89af484cbbe728.jpg20200725_084713.thumb.jpg.33b106adc53ab0f21a88e926a8866898.jpg 

What about the reverse? 

This coin wouldn't be priceless because there is virtually no demand, unless you get attributed by NGC or PCGS, even then it's not going to be worth much unless they give lots of registry points for it. Because it weighs so much less than it's supposed to, I suspect it may have been sand/ other material blasted. It's also circulated.

So first the reverse of the coin is identical to the obverse of the coin and has the same finish and in my logical opinion there is no way possible it could be acidic chemical due to the obvious fact that the edges are TOTALLY UNEFFECTED BY THE FROSTED FINISH ... which is why I knew to point that out in the very beginning to save us all a little time with all the GUESSING that I'm sure alot of self-proclaimed coin experts will no doubt try to give this ... Additionally please correct me if I'm wrong ... but do Roosevelt dimes weigh 2.2 grams as well because I thought that I also specifically pointed out that the coin weighs between 2.2 and 2.3 grams . And so I'm a little confused as to how you guys are coming up with these assessments ... is this section for new beginner collectors ...  🤔

20200716_161700.jpg

20200722_152848.jpg

7 hours ago, Big Nub numismatics said:

What about the reverse? 

This coin wouldn't be priceless because there is virtually no demand, unless you get attributed by NGC or PCGS, even then it's not going to be worth much unless they give lots of registry points for it. Because it weighs so much less than it's supposed to, I suspect it may have been sand/ other material blasted. It's also circulated.

I can absolutely agree with you on one obvious point you made where you state " I suspect it may have been sand / other material blasted ." Because you see , you can actually GOOGLE how matte finish coins are created and surprisingly it actually states that MATTE FINISH COINS are SANDBLASTED which is probably why you were able to point that out on my coin ... Google is excellent educational resource ...20200727_060010.thumb.jpg.178d6d2c8447077e7fb23ded452ff0ce.jpg

It was sandblasted after the coin was struck. By your own Google account it says that the coins were sandblasted after the coins were minted which would not make it an error. Anyone can alter the surface of a coin but that would make it damage, not something of value.

1 hour ago, MarkFeld said:

The coin was likely altered after it left the Mint and as such, would be worth 10 cents.

Ok well since it is very apparent that you are somehow ignoring the obvious fact that the coin still has clad and copper edges that are totally UNEFFECTED by the sand blasted  FROSTED FINISH that is on both sides of the coin ... then I am dying to know what LIKELY helped you to reach this amazing conclusion  because I'm not trying to be funny or rude but what your saying makes no logical sense .... infact I'm no expert myself but I think that even a novice coin collector couldn't say that it likely happened after it left the MINT unless they were INTENTIONALLY TRYING TO OVERLOOK the edges of a coin  ???? 

Edited by RichieRich2020

36 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

It was sandblasted after the coin was struck. By your own Google account it says that the coins were sandblasted after the coins were minted which would not make it an error. Anyone can alter the surface of a coin but that would make it damage, not something of value.

CLASS IS NOW IN SEASON .... Forgive me sir But i'm a little confused as whether or not you were trying to make a logical point and if so what your point is exactly ..... Because you see I know what sandblasting a coin is and that that process only occurs at the U.S. mint . Plus I know that these special finishes were only intended for proof coins and not Regular strike coins like Roosevelt dimes which would classify that as being what is called A MINT ERROR . 

Edited by RichieRich2020

24 minutes ago, ronnie stein said:

The above people are experts. Not trying to be funny or rude,  get it graded, they won't overlook anything. Then you'll know one way or the other.

Well that sounds like a very logical and honest response  . And so I can totally RESPECT and appreciate it ... But if the above people are really EXPERTS why would EXPERTS INTENTIONALLY  ignore or overlook the CLAD AND COPPER EDGES of a coin  and say that the even frosted finish probably occured after it left the mint . I mean I'm not trying to be funny or rude either but that is somewhat a little shocking to me coming from experts  .... 

Edited by RichieRich2020

2 hours ago, RichieRich2020 said:

..... Because you see I know what sandblasting a coin is and that that process only occurs at the U.S. mint .

I am not sure how you arrived at this conclusion, since anyone who owns a sandblaster could duplicate this finish on a coin with little trouble. They could also leave the edges unaffected, as is the case with your coin. People do strange things to coins all the time.

But, it appears that nothing that any of us has to say is going to sway your opinion. Since you are obviously convinced that you have found something special, I suggest you send it in to have it authenticated, and be sure and post your results in this thread when you get it back.

Not that it will matter to you, but the gentlemen with which you are arguing in the above posts have combined numismatic experience of over 150 years, including collecting, buying, selling, and grading coins professionally.

Good luck with your new find :)

This guy is a troll. There is a thread from him started back in 2018 and recently resurrected on CoinTalk where he is asking about this coin. He dismissed the opinion of Fred Weinberg that it wasn't an error.

It's always entertaining when someone comes on here wearing the "I struck it rich" goggles. No one will ever pry the goggles off, so they get told numerous times to send it in for authentication, and not once have I ever seen them follow that advice or post results.

Yep ... I held my post as I knew how this was going to go too. 

Plus I saw the post over at COINTALK and had to laugh ... hmm this coin looks familiar  :-)

5 hours ago, gmarguli said:

This guy is a troll. There is a thread from him started back in 2018 and recently resurrected on CoinTalk where he is asking about this coin. He dismissed the opinion of Fred Weinberg that it wasn't an error.

Thanks. That’s all I need to hear. 

I would like to add just one more thing for future readers of this thread. The idea that, even if this coin were the real deal, and unique, it would be "priceless," is purely wishful thinking. In order for this, or any coin, to bring really big money, there has to be strong demand among collectors with deep pockets. Generally speaking, the numismatic heavy hitters do not collect Roosevelt dimes

Or, error coins.

Here I was, all ready to throw my two cents in having been derisively dismissed as a novice and self-proclaimed coin expert, my reputation still intact after a knock-down skirmish with the heavy hitters, when suddenly the obvious occurred to me: the coin, ultimately, is of no value and submitting it for grading makes no economic sense -- and, worse than squandering perfectly good money, would end this hot-and-bothered donnybrook with an unsatisfying lost-by-a-nose finish. I am going to wait patiently for VKurtB to chime in.  Nice try RichieRich... "now go home and get your shinebox."  No Sale!

Sandblasted after it left the mint. This was done to some 1921 Peace dollars in an attempt to fool collectors into paying "proof coin" money.

3 minutes ago, RWB said:

Sandblasted after it left the mint. This was done to some 1921 Peace dollars in an attempt to fool collectors into paying "proof coin" money.

Hate to say it but that matte finish and the so-called "business strike" of the 2016 centennial gold mercs -- which had the undesirable (though possibly intentional effect) of muting all semblance of detail -- appear similar. Mildly disappointing, to say the least.

13 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I am not sure how you arrived at this conclusion, since anyone who owns a sandblaster could duplicate this finish on a coin with little trouble. They could also leave the edges unaffected, as is the case with your coin. People do strange things to coins all the time.

But, it appears that nothing that any of us has to say is going to sway your opinion. Since you are obviously convinced that you have found something special, I suggest you send it in to have it authenticated, and be sure and post your results in this thread when you get it back.

Not that it will matter to you, but the gentlemen with which you are arguing in the above posts have combined numismatic experience of over 150 years, including collecting, buying, selling, and grading coins professionally.

Good luck with your new find :)

Thank you for your encouraging response concerning getting the coin graded ... But you see , whether they have a 1000 combined years of experience with viewing coins over the internet or not the only thing that I HONESTLY couldn't help but notice is that alot of people were giving NEGATIVE opinions WITHOUT ABSOLUTELY NO BASES FOR THOSE OPINION ... LIKE IMPLYING THAT SOMEONE AT HOME COULD HAVE SANDBLASTED THE COIN THEMSELVES .... REALLY ?!?!?!?  .... Well forgive me if I cant be swayed by such IRRATIONAL thinking. Infact I'm not basing my opinion off what I think I've simply been basing them off THE FACTS  .... LIKE WITH THE OBVIOUS EDGES OF THE COIN NOT MATCHING UP WITH THE FROSTED FINISH . Which I noticed a few people if not all kept trying to talk around it ... And so as a very wise person once said ... ONLY A FOOL WOULD DISPUTES FACTS AND ONLY A insufficiently_thoughtful_person WOULD HATE TO EMBRACE KNOWLEDGE ...  And with that being said .  I will be more then happy to share what those findings of the coin are whether it's a matte finish or not ... because my ego isnt as I'm sure is for some people here .... BUT FROM HERE ON OUT PLEASE GIVE ME FACTS IF YOUR GONNA OFFER NEGATIVE OPINIONS TO ANY COINS I POST . Because like it or not if not I'm gonna call it like I see it everytime . THANK YOU . 

Edited by RichieRich2020

I'm sorry that I couldn't be swayed by all the NEGATIVE opinions when absolutely no one bothered to offer any LOGICAL OR SUPPORTIVE FACTS ... And I hope that I haven't offended anyones EGO with my honesty .

Edited by RichieRich2020

"I wanted to find out if I could gain a little more insight on it before I send it off (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/what-is-an-experimental-1993-d-matte-finish-roosevelt-dime-value.319554/page-3)"

TWO YEARS AGO (to borrow your penchant for yelling at us)

"I'm just very through when it comes to learning about coins (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/what-is-an-experimental-1993-d-matte-finish-roosevelt-dime-value.319554/page-3)"

TWO YEARS AGO

Stop wasting everyone's time.

2 YEARS AGO  clearly proves that their are EGOS involved  which clearly taints the educational and knowledge perspective for people wanting to actually learn and share REAL FACTUAL FINDINGS about errors and their coins ... 2YEARS AGO 😂😂😂😂

P.s. Oh and by the way ...all caps dont always mean that someone is necessarily YELLING... infact its actually just putting emphasis on a point that someone is making so please try reading in between the lines sometimes for educational purposes .... Thanks .

Edited by RichieRich2020

Oh and the only reason that the coin was never sent off 2 years ago is because I allowed EXPERTS with NEGATIVE INSIGHT to try to discourage me not to send it off without truly knowing if the coin bared real errors ... The same way that they tried to persuade me into thinking that a 1963 D lincoln cent valued at $14,500 would grade no higher then a MS 62 .... but ended up graded at MS 66 with PCGS ... SO THANK YOU FOR REMINDING WITH YOUR ME EXCELLENT POINT 😂😂😂😂 

Edited by RichieRich2020