• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Best Coin of the Golden Era
1 1

What is the Best Coin from the Golden Era of US Coin Design (excluding gold issues)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which Coin is Best?

• Lincoln "Wheat Ears" Cent
    • Standing Liberty Quarter
    • Liberty Walking Half Dollar
    • Peace Dollar
  2. 2. Which Coin is the Second-Best?

• Buffalo Nickel
    • Mercury Dime
    • Peace Dollar
  3. 3. Which Coin is the Third-Best?

• Buffalo Nickel
    • Mercury Dime
    • Peace Dollar

39 posts in this topic

I can't participate in this.  What is meant by "Best"?  Best circulating, best looking, eh?  And what in Hades is 'Golden Era'?  Does that mean the time of the Zoot Suits?

The best circulated coin, in my opinion, was the Seated Liberty Dollar.  This is my final word on the matter.  Alex has spoken.

:banana:

I thought the subject referred to the "golden age" or "Renaissance of American Coinage" period...not later ccoins or commemoratives. Maybe I misunderstood.

4 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

Of those on the list I went with feel... The Peace Dollar had the best Feel to it..

Topographically speaking, with subdued relief, I can see that. But codgers like me who've had "hold by the edges" pounded into our heads over the years, your reference to "feel" makes me cringe. I only recently heard (hope VKurtB doesn't see this) that the TPGS conduct their examinations with bare hands and not paper gloves as I had assumed. 

15 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Topographically speaking, with subdued relief, I can see that. But codgers like me who've had "hold by the edges" pounded into our heads over the years, your reference to "feel" makes me cringe. I only recently heard (hope VKurtB doesn't see this) that the TPGS conduct their examinations with bare hands and not paper gloves as I had assumed. 

I've known the TPGS firms use bare hands for at least 25 years.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

I've known the TPGS firms use bare hands for at least 25 years.

Indubitably, my friend. But you did not know that I did not know that.

Pocket Pieces have calmed millions of Nerves and I gifted a Peace dollar to my father to use to help with some neuropathy he acquired in his hands after too long on the surgical table.. My Mother (Who turned 96 last week) still has it and I will probably leave it with her when she passes..  

14 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

Pocket Pieces have calmed millions of Nerves and I gifted a Peace dollar to my father to use to help with some neuropathy he acquired in his hands after too long on the surgical table.. My Mother (Who turned 96 last week) still has it and I will probably leave it with her when she passes..  

I have heard of tranquilizer touchstones (and beads) but am unfamiliar  with this.  I get it now. So unlike the purported healing properties of a copper bracelet, this is a more tactile product. [I specifically bought a double-thick, pure silver, 1804 dollar from the Intaglio mint but it was in such pristine condition I nixed carrying it around.] Your idea is better. Can't argue with success. All the best!