• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 2021 Morgan and Peace Dollar Legislation Needs Your Support
1 1

39 posts in this topic

Most of th mint's recent issues are horrible. It reminds me of the greeting card industry. That has gone down th toilet too. 

18 hours ago, gmarguli said:

Check out a Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins 2001-Date and look at the designs of other countries. There are tons that blow away what our mint is doing. Very beautiful and detailed work.

And I personally find the Baseball HOF coin very uninspiring. It's not a bad design or bad looking, but a ball and glove doesn't exactly have a wow factor.

we've imported artists before, why not do so again?...

Also, definitely agree with you on the HOF coin....

Regarding the HOF coin, I remember that Cassie McFarland was one designer that plenty of hobbyists were curious about, a little more so than John Mercanti, Joe Menna or Elizabeth Jones.

Perhaps maybe the mint should go back to the 1960s and 1970s where the only coins they sell are proof and mint sets? 

Edited by olympicsos

On 7/4/2020 at 12:13 PM, olympicsos said:

Regarding the HOF coin, I remember that Cassie McFarland was one designer that plenty of hobbyists were curious about, a little more so than John Mercanti, Joe Menna or Elizabeth Jones.

Perhaps maybe the mint should go back to the 1960s and 1970s where the only coins they sell are proof and mint sets? 

at least for a little while... we need a break... can you imagine the headache for future collectors of commemoratives and related mint products? There will have to be like three volumes of a specialized redbook for it

Virtually all United States coinage requires an Act of Congress, which invariably mandates most significant elements of the design. There are very few other countries that do that. Mints make decisions on coins in the rest of the world. Here, Congress does, followed by an artist whose work is then second-guessed by two boards of dilettantes - The Commission on Fine Arts and the Citizens Coin Advisory Committee, which frequently disagree with each other. Our problem is not a lack of artistic merit, it is an excess of political and quasi-political hangers on and dead weight.

I assure you, the artists at the Mint are every bit as frustrated by this system as you are, probably even more so.

Edited by VKurtB

I believe that with a change of management and some really talented personnel the US Mint could become the favorite it was in years past.  There are some gold coin designs from 1798 to 1900 that would be nice.  Also the BEP.  Compare an 1896 $1.00 bill to today's $1.00 bill.    Oh, just wishful thinking.  :bigsmile:

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 6/26/2020 at 2:35 PM, gmarguli said:

Just what we need, more garbage from the US Mint.

How about instead of them rehashing old designs while at the same time making them look bland and lifeless, we petition the Congress to eliminate the useless cent and the half dollar. And to stop the Mint from producing horrifically PC garbage like the Basketball Hall of Fame coin. And to stop way overcharging for their bullion coins. And to stop producing a zillion varieties of quarters. And to stop producing all the different $1 coins until the BEP stops printing paper dollars. And to update our current designs with something other than polarizing presidents on the obverse. 

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped out of coin collecting and continued to stay out up until fairly recently.  While I don't have an opinion on the Morgan/Peace dollars, I am hoping the 250th anniversary of the United States in 2026 inspires an artist to come up with a classic theme worthy of display on our coinage. (The play money that passes for U.S. currency can also use an overhaul.)

On 6/28/2020 at 4:10 PM, 1917 said:

I think they should just start focusing on the upcoming 250th aniversary of our nation's founding... maybe make something decent for once...

It's an opportunity. I am with you on that.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:14 AM, Alex in PA. said:

I believe that with a change of management and some really talented personnel the US Mint could become the favorite it was in years past.  There are some gold coin designs from 1798 to 1900 that would be nice.  Also the BEP.  Compare an 1896 $1.00 bill to today's $1.00 bill.    Oh, just wishful thinking.  :bigsmile:

Wishful thinking is considering a revival, if only for a limited time, of the classic Educational series of currency in the various denominations. As for coinage, we brought back the Buffalo Head and Walking Liberty (bullion); we can similarly resurrect other old-time favorite designs for regular circulation which would resonate with the younger generation.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Insertion of phrase