• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saw this while watching RCTV and wanted to share it with the board.
1 1

53 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2021 at 2:25 PM, VKurtB said:

HE wasn’t present and he hasn’t seen a sheet on it in some NARA. 

🐓:  NASA?  What's NASA got to do with it?  This is an outrage! 

VKB:  Not NASA, NARA, the National Archives. C'mon, Quintus!

🐓:  NARA?... Never mind... carry on. :hi:

On 8/15/2021 at 11:02 AM, Jason Abshier said:

They ain’t different than the PCGS cult followers and preachers who pass out the “mind controlling kool-aid” to the newer collectors getting into the collecting  hobby 

[Water did taste funny. I thought it was chromium-6]  🐓

On 8/15/2021 at 1:19 PM, numisport said:

Really what kind of dealer would sell you a fake 2009 Proof ASE ?

I am sorry I was resting on the couch when I wrote the response. It was a 1998 Proof ASE and it was an ANA dealer. My mistake I forgot which year it was. 

2496DE89-02E0-4BBD-AD0C-71950D913B2D.jpeg

2A274DF8-EBF2-42FB-8DED-C6053FFB646F.jpeg

On 8/15/2021 at 3:51 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Water did taste funny. I thought it was chromium-6]  🐓

Grape Kool-Aid AND hexavalent chromium. It makes the grape linger longer on the palate. 

On 8/15/2021 at 4:41 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I am sorry I was resting on the couch when I wrote the response. It was a 1998 Proof ASE and it was an ANA dealer. My mistake I forgot which year it was. 

@RWB‘s all time bestest buddy in Colorado made some 2009 ASE proofs. It caused quite a stir, as I remember it.

On 8/15/2021 at 3:44 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓:  NASA?  What's NASA got to do with it?  This is an outrage! 

VKB:  Not NASA, NARA, the National Archives. C'mon, Quintus!

🐓:  NARA?... Never mind... carry on. :hi:

NASA be here in Northern Alabama (Goddard SFC), NARA be where Roger gets paper cuts.

On 8/15/2021 at 2:13 PM, Jason Abshier said:

We all seen the dealers on tv trying to sell a gold coin when we know it’s more like “gold plated” a worthless coin only meant for a collector to put in a small glass box on his table as a reminder how his beloved wife got ripped off by a TV coin dealer trying to impress him with a so called “if its to good to be true it must be deal” … there are fakes floating around everywhere even on bourse floor at coin show not all dealers are skillful at spotting fakes they are human just like me and you (although we share in common we hate fakes !) 

don’t laugh I once got stopped outside a pawn shop after I was snooping around for coins back in 2009-2010 I didn’t buy anything that day but I was stopped while walking down sidewalk from the pen shop by a hustler trying to sell me gold buffalos that were looked to be gold plated they looked so bad ! He was asking for $1,100 each . Even a blind man could of seen they were fake knock offs with a plating job ! I told him sell them in the pawn shop see what owner says . He gave me a dirty look 

No he said an ANA dealer he evidently trusted sold him a 2009 proof ASE for 40 bucks. Problem is the U.S. Mint didn't make any.

On 8/15/2021 at 5:41 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

That's a pretty good deal

SEATED LIBERTY HALF DOLLARS:   I caught a few seconds of an RCTV infomercial Saturday during one of the dead time slots and they were hawking SS Republic Shipwreck Liberty Half Dollars:  1854-O thru 1859-O with the exception of the 1857-O (rare date ?).

They wanted $2,500 in 2 payments.  How much of a premium over market is that ?

On 7/17/2022 at 2:52 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

SEATED LIBERTY HALF DOLLARS: 

In other words, FOUR YEARS' rent in subsidized senior housing in New York City!  That's a no-brainer (and good thing Roosters weren't around back then).

On 7/17/2022 at 2:52 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

SEATED LIBERTY HALF DOLLARS:   I caught a few seconds of an RCTV infomercial Saturday during one of the dead time slots and they were hawking SS Republic Shipwreck Liberty Half Dollars:  1854-O thru 1859-O with the exception of the 1857-O (rare date ?).

500-600%

On 7/17/2022 at 8:58 PM, zadok said:

500-600%

That may very well be so, but these coins had to be retrieved and conserved. If you are a collector in the market for a "hook," i.e., something with an interesting historical slant for your collection, welcome to the world of shipwreck coins.  :roflmao:

On 7/17/2022 at 8:58 PM, zadok said:

500-600%

You sure ?  I know the markup on Morgans and Saints and Liberty's was about 30%.  Maybe the grade was such that the coins were worth more, I didn't stick around to find out.

On 8/13/2021 at 12:56 PM, RWB said:

These statements are not provable.

If you knew the history of this bag, you wouldn’t say that, Roger. 

On 7/17/2022 at 10:13 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

That may very well be so, but these coins had to be retrieved and conserved. If you are a collector in the market for a "hook," i.e., something with an interesting historical slant for your collection, welcome to the world of shipwreck coins.  :roflmao:

Good point...now that I think about it, the SSCA stuff sold at 500-600% premiums.

But that was a well-publicized shipwreck for valuable gold coins....these are much more plentiful I believe (any SLQ experts here ?) so I wonder about the markup.

There are people looking for coins, but make it very clear they are not interested in those that came from shipwrecks for that very reason: huge price markups. Shipwreck salvage entails risk. And, though I bemoan his fate, I feel Tommy Thompson (SSCA) totally ruined a perfect fairy tale ending by depriving his supporters a fair share of their outlays. Whomever is right or wrong, there are a lot of angry people out there. At least with Bernie Madoff, enough people were able to recover their initial investments. The SSCA recovery was meticulously documented. It's too bad @Hoghead515 wasn't in charge. I trust him implicitly solely on the strength of what he's written.  It's very sad so many invested so much and had to walk away with nothing. This has been going on for 30 years!

On 7/17/2022 at 11:41 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

You sure ?  I know the markup on Morgans and Saints and Liberty's was about 30%.  Maybe the grade was such that the coins were worth more, I didn't stick around to find out.

...yep for the dates u mentioned routinely sell in the $900 range or less....

On 7/17/2022 at 10:13 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

...abundance out there not rare for those dates n most extremely unattractive...welcome to the world of hype....

On 7/18/2022 at 10:57 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Good point...now that I think about it, the SSCA stuff sold at 500-600% premiums.

But that was a well-publicized shipwreck for valuable gold coins....these are much more plentiful I believe (any SLQ experts here ?) so I wonder about the markup.

...SLQ? or SLH?....big diff....

On 7/18/2022 at 11:14 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

There are people looking for coins, but make it very clear they are not interested in those that came from shipwrecks for that very reason: huge price markups. Shipwreck salvage entails risk. And, though I bemoan his fate, I feel Tommy Thompson (SSCA) totally ruined a perfect fairy tale ending by depriving his supporters a fair share of their outlays. Whomever is right or wrong, there are a lot of angry people out there. At least with Bernie Madoff, enough people were able to recover their initial investments. The SSCA recovery was meticulously documented. It's too bad @Hoghead515 wasn't in charge. I trust him implicitly solely on the strength of what he's written.  It's very sad so many invested so much and had to walk away with nothing. This has been going on for 30 years!

...HH would have gone for the catfish, they r edible...hes no dummy....

On 7/18/2022 at 6:01 PM, zadok said:

...SLQ? or SLH?....big diff....

Sorry guys, the word SEATED was blotted by a Closed Capitioning box but I see now it's Seated Liberty Half Dollars.  I saw the "S" and assumed Standing coins. 

5 Coin Set.....1854-O thru 1859-O but no 1857-O.

Don't have grades for the coins (I assume they aren't raw)....I'll see if I can find the grade on the RCTV website.