• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Eagle?

7 posts in this topic

I believe this is a 2016 Silver Eagle that has been gold plated. If in fact that is the case, what has that done to the coin? Completely trashed it to where it's not worth anything? Or just slightly decreased value? TIA

20200430_192453.jpg

See these on eBay occasionally. Someone gold plates a silver coin and thinks they can sell it at a premium.

It is still worth the silver bullion, so it is still worth something.

18 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

See these on eBay occasionally. Someone gold plates a silver coin and thinks they can sell it at a premium.

It is still worth the silver bullion, so it is still worth something.

Yeah I believe that is where mine came from. Someone had ordered a "lot" on eBay to give me. Just so I understand, when you say it's still worth the  silver bullion, are you talking the silver melt price? 

On 4/30/2020 at 9:37 PM, pogohatesme said:

Is there a way to take it back to original so that won't simply go off bullion rate?

No.  You could reverse electroplate it to remove the gold but it wouldn't restore the original surface, so it would still be damaged and so just worth melt value.