• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learn Grading: American Silver Eagles
2 2

13 posts in this topic

• Administrator

NGC grades most coins on a scale of 1 to 70. There are subtle differences near the top of the scale, which covers nearly the entire population of modern bullion coins like the Silver Eagle. Read More

Interesting Matt, thanks for posting......I'm curious....when NGC receives a bulk submission, how much time per coin do the graders spend on each coin ? 

We've debated this on many threads.  I am reasonably certain that for new coins it's much less than for classic coins but that's all I know.

Personally, I think hairlines disqualify any coin from MS/PF 68. Surface contamination/spots should disqualify any modern NCLT from grading. Just an opinion shared by few...  :)

2 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm curious....when NGC receives a bulk submission, how much time per coin do the graders spend on each coin ? 

If the grader spots anything that takes it out of the 70 grade: 3 seconds.

If the grader is confirming the 70 grade: 5-8 seconds.

Whether it is 3 seconds or 8 seconds, the grader is hating their life. 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Interesting Matt, thanks for posting......I'm curious....when NGC receives a bulk submission, how much time per coin do the graders spend on each coin ? 

We've debated this on many threads.  I am reasonably certain that for new coins it's much less than for classic coins but that's all I know.

While some bulk submitter's will request for coins below a certain grade to be rejected (sent back raw) we must evaluate all coins for authenticity and grade. Hairlines and other defects can make the bulk process a tad faster overall due to the rejects being identified much quicker.

I cannot comment on the amount of time spent per coin it may vary depending on many different factors. Sorry to be so robotic!

On 4/15/2020 at 5:35 PM, Matt G said:

I cannot comment on the amount of time spent per coin it may vary depending on many different factors.

Any definitive answer is loaded with legal implications.  These are new freshly-minted coins.  Suppose you were to say, First impression, inside of 2-3 seconds vs. Grading which will necessarily take longer? The assembly line must keep moving.  Word has it those who lag and fail to meet quotas are taken outside and shot!   😉 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing

Have to disagree with this one:

"MS/PF 67. At this level, the issues with the coin are more obvious. There might be some hairlines or milk spots that are more numerous or thicker."

No coin with an UNC-67 (or MS-67) grade should ever have "milk spots" and any "hairlines" should be limited to one or two, not "some."

On 12/21/2021 at 8:47 PM, RWB said:

Have to disagree with this one:

"MS/PF 67. At this level, the issues with the coin are more obvious. There might be some hairlines or milk spots that are more numerous or thicker."

No coin with an UNC-67 (or MS-67) grade should ever have "milk spots" and any "hairlines" should be limited to one or two, not "some."

True, possibly, as regarding off-year products, but mint-fresh bulk products are not expected to develop flaws so quickly.  For those who agonize inordinately over spots, a special guillotine awaits.  No. 1 Rule:  The means of production (encapsulations) must maintain momentum. Strictly opinion.  🐓 

On 12/21/2021 at 8:47 PM, RWB said:

Have to disagree with this one: "MS/PF 67. At this level, the issues with the coin are more obvious. There might be some hairlines or milk spots that are more numerous or thicker." No coin with an UNC-67 (or MS-67) grade should ever have "milk spots" and any "hairlines" should be limited to one or two, not "some."

Standard protocol is to use a 5x glass on modern or classic coins, right ?

I find it very tough to tell the difference between some 70's and 69's....even 68's sometimes.  When it is a 67, I find that much easier. 

That's for standard sized coins....with those 5-ounce silver coins or even 2-ounce golds, it's alot easier with the bigger size and huge fields.