• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Token Tuesday! Post 'em if you got 'em.
3 3

474 posts in this topic

Standard Veneer of Columbus, MS. was incorporated in 1937, and closed in 1940. Tokens are known in denominations of 5 cents and 1 dollar, and there is mention of a 25 cent token, but I don't know of any examples that exist.

The tokens are minted medal turn, so the punch marks on the obverse and reverse are opposite each other. I have seen a picture of a 5 cent token with similar marks. I don't know if these are cancellation marks or just coincidence.

s-l1600.jpg

Screenshot (23).png

Screenshot (24).png

On 10/31/2022 at 5:58 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓 :  This veiled political post is a Violation of Guideline Rules.

Q.A.:  Objection noted.

T.J.:  Objection declined.

QA, that is neither your nor my call to make. The moderators will decide whether or not it violates guidelines. Kindly remove your posts, please.

On 10/31/2022 at 10:11 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

T'wasn't mine, t'wasn't yours, t'was Ricky's call. I will relay your message to the responsible party: 🐓 [And report the violation.]

Edit:  Violation of Chat Board Guidelines reported.

Hey Quintus Arrius-  Why don't you do yourself a big favor and mind your own business!!  Go delete some of your own sh*t posts!

Edited by tj96

Let that intrinsically insulting, demeaning and offensive content continue to stand as a testament to man's ignorance and intolerance.

DISCLAIMER:  The content alluded to does not reflect the spirit and letter of the NGC Chat Board Guidelines nor the values of the membership.

Are examples of wooden money part of the category of tokens? I’ve always thought not, but I can see the opposite argument. Wood has always been a category apart. 

Here is an example of a bona-fide wooden token, with a recognized real value of one dollar as produced and administered by the State of New York on behalf of the Federal government [Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as "food stamps."].  The objectionable, illegitimate, intrinsically worthless content, posted hereinabove, is little more than a rounded wood chip posing as a political button such as one would pin to one's chest were it not laughable and shameful to do so. No value historically, regionally, culturally, morally, ethically--and numismatically.  None!

16674211365674284025076303565276.thumb.jpg.d2292f65b2614a3e9f8060caaf1255ae.jpg

On 11/2/2022 at 2:30 PM, VKurtB said:

Are examples of wooden money part of the category of tokens? I’ve always thought not, but I can see the opposite argument. Wood has always been a category apart. 

Although tokens have historically been mostly made from metal, they have also been made from shell, Bakelite, Vulcanite, cardboard and wood, among other materials. Wooden nickels and novelty pieces, while not actually tokens, still fall under the category of exonumia, which is what this thread is about. Although "tokens" was specifically stated in the thread title, medals, doubloons, coupons, and other forms of exonumia are welcome here. :)

Now, let me address the above post and comments, some of which have since been deleted. Political satire and political views have long been subjects addressed by tokens and other forms of exonumia. There are pages of political Hard Times and Civil War tokens in Rulau's book, for example. Following in this spirit, I do not object to members posting pictures of tokens, etc. which are satirical in nature, regardless of which political party they favor or satirize. Those who find them objectionable are free to report them or ignore them as they see fit.  But I have to ask: where do we draw the line? If we remove the above post, must we also remove all posts which picture anti - Andrew Jackson or anti-Daniel Webster pieces? What about pro-Union tokens? Do we remove them so as not to offend Southerners whose ancestors fought for the Confederacy? Keep in mind that the forum rules state that "all users agree that our web site may expose you to Content that may be objectionable or offensive," What offends one person may not offend most other people. That appears to be the case here. I have a feeling that if the above piece had satirized George Bush or Donald Trump, the reaction would have been different.

Edited by Just Bob

On 11/15/2022 at 11:03 PM, Just Bob said:

Although tokens have historically been mostly made from metal, they have also been made from shell, Bakelite, Vulcanite, cardboard and wood, among other materials. Wooden nickels and novelty pieces, while not actually tokens, still fall under the category of exonumia, which is what this thread is about. Although "tokens" was specifically stated in the thread title, medals, doubloons, coupons, and other forms of exonumia are welcome here. :)

Now, let me address the above post and comments. Political satire and political views have long been subjects addressed by tokens and other forms of exonumia. There are pages of political Hard Times and Civil War tokens in Rulau's book, for example. Following in this spirit, I do not object to members posting pictures of tokens, etc. which are satirical in nature, regardless of which political party they favor or satirize. Those who find them objectionable are free to report them or ignore them as they see fit.  But I have to ask: where do we draw the line? If we remove the above post, must we also remove all posts which picture anti - Andrew Jackson or anti-Daniel Webster pieces? What about pro-Union tokens? Do we remove them so as not to offend Southerners whose ancestors fought for the Confederacy? Keep in mind that the forum rules state that "all users agree that our web site may expose you to Content that may be objectionable or offensive," What offends one person may not offend most other people. That appears to be the case here. I have a feeling that if the above piece had satirized George Bush or Donald Trump, the reaction would have been different.

You know my preference. I’m pretty laissez faire on topics of tokens and medals. And that goes for online forums and ANA-style numismatic exhibiting equally. “History in your hands” it is. Never has been possible to fully separate politics and numismatics; likely never will be. 

Just a side note: at the summer ANA conventions, there’s an entire exhibit class for political buttons, including “anti stuff”.

Edited by VKurtB

Back to tokens:

For over 60 years, the Mississippi Phosphate company, manufacturer of diammonium phosphate fertilizer, polluted the water and air around Pascagoula by allowing acidic leaks and runoff to leach into nearby Bayou Casotte, and by spewing sulfur dioxide into the air. After many bouts with the EPA and other government agencies, the company filed for bankruptcy in 2014 and closed its doors, leaving behind 700,000,000 gallons of polluted wastewater for taxpayers to clean up. After pleading guilty to felony charges of violating the Clean Water Act, the company agreed to give 320 acres to the Grand Gulf Estuary.

Definitely not one my state's proudest achievements.

IMG_20221115_215103035 (2).jpg

IMG_20221115_215117234_HDR (2).jpg