• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Token Tuesday! Post 'em if you got 'em.
3 3

472 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2022 at 12:34 AM, Just Bob said:

Back on page one, I posted a set of tokens issued by King and Anderson, a plantation in Dickerson, Mississippi. I mentioned a $3.50 punch card, an example of which I had never seen. I am happy to report that I recently found one for sale on Ebay, and pulled the trigger without hesitation.

This is the seller's pic:

s-l500.jpg.06872c9e3490a0ed9fbb4b56b9414fbc.jpg

Very cool find. Looks to be in very good shape. About what year or time period does that date back to?

On 12/28/2022 at 6:29 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Very cool find. Looks to be in very good shape. About what year or time period does that date back to?

I have tried to answer this three times, but my post keeps disappearing. :frustrated:

One more try:

Probably in the 1930s or 40s. I assume it was issued at the same time as the metal tokens, which are made of aluminum. Aluminum did not see widespread use as a material for tokens or coins until the price dropped enough to make it feasible, which I believe was in the 1930s.

On 1/24/2023 at 8:42 PM, Just Bob said:

I found another variety of this wooden nickel. (Thank you Fenntucky Mike for making me aware of the different types.) Given the recent passing of Mr. Lange, there was no way I was going to let it get away.

Dlange wooden nickel reverse.jpg

Dlange wooden nickel obverse.jpg

I found one while back like that and bought it. Ive misplaced it in this house somewhere. When I get more time Ill dig it up and share it. Its not to far. Its in a box with some tokens. Without looking at it I couldnt tell you which variety it is. I found it for sale and bought it where it had David Lange on it. 

Currently 12 pages of this stuff… and not one example of the famous…

WALDO C. MOORE/A.N.A. 637/LEWISBURG, O./BANKER/NUMISMATIST/PHILATELIST/FOWL FANCIER/1911.

Anyone know what the token would be worth, today?

On 2/26/2023 at 1:57 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Currently 12 pages of this stuff… and not one example of the famous…

WALDO C. MOORE/A.N.A. 637/LEWISBURG, O./BANKER/NUMISMATIST/PHILATELIST/FOWL FANCIER/1911.

Anyone know what the token would be worth, today?

By the way, do you know what the pictograph says on the obverse? 😁  

Att:  JB:  This may come as a surprise to you, but as the member alluded to in the preceding post, I found nothing objectionable about this post by @BKW1 . It is a legitimate product and its maker even went so far as to pretty it up with denticles.  If it were not legitimate, it would not have been accepted for formal certification.. 

PCGS AU58. DeWitt-C-1861-13
It’s tough to find nice examples of this piece, especially with a fair amount of silvering left. Only 13 graded (9 at PCGS and 4 at NGC)

Edited by BKW1