• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Token Tuesday! Post 'em if you got 'em.
3 3

474 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2021 at 4:51 PM, Revenant said:

Here's a fun one for those of us old enough to remember when phones looked like this: a phone (booth?) token.

20211123_154725.jpg

20211123_154736.jpg

..."old enuf"....our first phone u had to crank it, n hold receiver up to ur ear n speak into a mouthpiece...."phone booth" people thought those were outhouses with windows....just saying...

@Just Bob

:signofftopic: however, I am constrained to let you slide on this one. This is the beauty of being the Original Poster: one cannot derail one's own thread. Besides, the entire membership holds you in high regard, as do I.  (thumbsu

On 11/25/2021 at 9:18 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Just Bob

:signofftopic: however, I am constrained to let you slide on this one. This is the beauty of being the Original Poster: one cannot derail one's own thread. Besides, the entire membership holds you in high regard, as do I.  (thumbsu

What did I post that was off topic?

Actually, they are coupons that could be exchanged for tickets or merchandise. That puts them squarely in the exonumia category, just like the ice and coal company coupons and mercantile coupons that I posted earlier.

Edited by Just Bob

Very nice presentation. I should have known better. So that means my wooden nickels qualify and a booklet from the 1960's which still has a few tear-off 25-cent tickets to pay a toll to cross a draw-bridge in Nassau County, NY, qualifies as well. (Last I heard, it costs $19. to cross the Verrazzano to Staten Island from Brooklyn; the toll is higher for multi-axled vehicles.) Never even considered the x-factor (exonumia).  However, I would never desecrate your thread with "cat-house" tokens once used in late 19th century Nevada. Thanks for the clarification!   🐓 

On 1/17/2022 at 6:38 PM, coinsarefun said:

Now, to me this is super interesting ! I have not researched to find the year that Lauer created this Spiel but looking close it echoes the 
1879 New York Martinka & Co. NGC MS63 merchant token I bought a while back

7yxtet1raz9f.thumb.png.8822db620a881998690a19235a4a5f91.png

This is the Spiel I picked up recently 
Spiel Marke Counter Token Cable Car/ mundus vult decipi discipiatur
Phrase, means "The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived.

7zls5pfutkh2.thumb.png.43db849c39472b30be536ebf5e0c983c.png

For giggles I photoshop each coin to show the size differences, simply because on or the other
came out blurry.

uw4knita5bef.png.03570b2e011d2551c14af1eb18f87bb6.png

Re "spiel"... any relation to schmo, shlamazel, schlepping or schlemiel, etymologically?

On 1/19/2022 at 9:29 PM, tj96 said:

This is some kind of error token.  I have no idea.  Maybe you guys know.

d39meyr3qcer.jpg

n441wdi9iqrx.jpg

js8qzr39fe8q.jpg

fzc205cgbysb.jpg

rd9d0r1uau1b.jpg

Your piece was originally one of several varieties of Silver Stripe token. The Silver Stripe was a restaurant and lounge, located on University Ave. in St.Paul, Minnesota. It was owned by Fay Decker and Frank Glombitz. There is one piece known that was overstruck for the John T. Colbert Tavern, which reads: "JACK / C / 586." Yours appears to say " Steve / 7981 / Schwartz" on one side. I can't make out the lettering on the other side. It appears to have been overstruck more than once.

Here is a picture of one variety of the Silver Stripe token, which closely resembles yours:

IMAGE_OBV_544637.jpg

Edited by Just Bob

On 1/20/2022 at 10:22 AM, Just Bob said:

Your piece was originally one of several varieties of Silver Stripe token. The Silver Stripe was a restaurant and lounge, located on University Ave. in St.Paul, Minnesota. It was owned by Fay Decker and Frank Glombitz. There is one piece known that was overstruck for the John T. Colbert Tavern, which reads: "JACK / C / 586." Yours appears to say " Steve / 7981 / Schwartz" on one side. I can't make out the lettering on the other side. It appears to have been overstruck more than once.

Here is a picture of one variety of the Silver Stripe token, which closely resembles yours:

IMAGE_OBV_544637.jpg

Bob-

Man, thanks very much for that.  I had no idea!  Are these things (errors) sought after in the token community?

On 1/20/2022 at 1:13 PM, tj96 said:

Bob-

Man, thanks very much for that.  I had no idea!  Are these things (errors) sought after in the token community?

Many collectors are probably like me: I will buy errors that are part of the series that I collect, but I don't make a point to find or collect errors in particular. Some errors. like rotated or cracked dies, are actually quite common in some series of tokens. I don't really think yours is an accidental error, though. This is just me speculating, but it looks like yours was overstruck intentionally, like someone at the manufacturer was adjusting the spacing on the dies, and grabbed an extra token that happened to be on hand. I could be completely off base, though.

On 1/25/2022 at 9:14 PM, Just Bob said:

Many collectors are probably like me: I will buy errors that are part of the series that I collect, but I don't make a point to find or collect errors in particular. Some errors. like rotated or cracked dies, are actually quite common in some series of tokens. I don't really think yours is an accidental error, though. This is just me speculating, but it looks like yours was overstruck intentionally, like someone at the manufacturer was adjusting the spacing on the dies, and grabbed an extra token that happened to be on hand. I could be completely off base, though.

Yes, exactly!  Like a test piece.  Thanks! (thumbsu