• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PCGS graded NGC coin
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Maybe, maybe not. Grading coins is as much art as it is science. What you are getting is an educated opinion, and opinions can vary from person to person and coin to coin. Perceptions and grading standards can also vary over time, and among different companies/graders. . That does not necessarily mean that either NGC or PCGS got the grade wrong. It was given the grade that those particular graders and finalizers felt it deserved on that day. If you were to crack it out and send it to either company 10 more times, it might come back 64 five times, and 63 five times. It may even come back with a 62 or 65 once or twice, although most of the time the two companies are quite consistent. Check the price of a PCGS 63 against an NGC 64. If the difference is enough to warrant sending it back in to NGC to try for a higher grade, then you may want to take the gamble. But, be aware that it may come back as a 63 from NGC.

The simple answer is no, NGC will not automatically place the coin in a holder at its prior grade.  If you fancy the gamble you can crack it out of the new PCGS holder and send it to NGC to be graded again, but as @Just Bob mentioned you may get an MS63 opinion form NGC this time around.  Cracking coins is a dice roll, sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

• Administrator

If you are not comfortable cracking the coin out you can send it for the crossover service. This allows you to retain the PCGS holder if it does not meet the crossover criteria. Please note that you can request it to be crossed at the same grade or lower but you cannot request a higher grade. If the coin is deemed to be an MS64 we will automatically place it into our holder. 

Please see the details below

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/1335/

I would have saved the cracked holder and sent it back to NGC for a reholder. Use your imagination like it was in the garage on the ground and my Labrador Retriever who has just enough intelligence to get into trouble everywhere he goes, stuck the gear shift selector in reverse and ran over your most prized possession.

How much is this coin even worth? Is it a common date or a rare one?

Someone paid to have NGC grade it (and shipping) and you paid at least part of that fee in the increased price of the coin if you bought it after the fact. Now you've paid PCGS to grade it (and shipping) and now you're talking about paying NGC another chunk of cash to maybe grade it again...

Why? Any money you were hoping to get out of this is surely kissed good-bye in grading fees by now.

I don't get these cross-over games. I don't. The whole thing is a waste.

56 minutes ago, Revenant said:

Me either - it reminds me of gambling stories...you hear a lot about the big wins, not so much about the busts.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:03 AM, Revenant said:

How much is this coin even worth? Is it a common date or a rare one?

Someone paid to have NGC grade it (and shipping) and you paid at least part of that fee in the increased price of the coin if you bought it after the fact. Now you've paid PCGS to grade it (and shipping) and now you're talking about paying NGC another chunk of cash to maybe grade it again...

Why? Any money you were hoping to get out of this is surely kissed good-bye in grading fees by now.

The original holder was broken.  It was given to a dealer to reholder, but he sent it to PCGS instead of NGC, came back a grade lower.  One grade level on this coin is about $1200 in value.

4 minutes ago, UncleDano said:

The original holder was broken.  It was given to a dealer to reholder, but he sent it to PCGS instead of NGC, came back a grade lower.  One grade level on this coin is about $1200 in value.

Sounds like you should be giving the dealer a piece of your mind. That stinks.