• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interested in getting a coin graded have questions

10 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

First time post. I have some questions about getting a coin graded as well as corrosion on a copper coin. The coin is a 1798 large cent with what I am told is S166. There are some spots of green corrosion (not sure if you can see in the attached pics on the rear of the coin). The coin has some sentimental value and is a neat piece of history. Even if it costs more than its worth I would like to get it graded and put in a slab. I have never gone through this process before and wanted to ask a couple things.

First the corrosion. Is there anything I can do about it. Is there any restoration possible or at least a way of keeping it to what it is now. I assume this would earn it a details grade but don't really know.

Second the process for having it graded. I see that i can pay 22-35 dollars with a turn around of 12-30 days. Are there any other services I should look out for?

I guess I am just looking for advice as to what is the best way to go about this. Maybe any advice you would have for a first time submission?

Thank you in advance, hope everyone is well.

coin 2 (1).JPG

Coin face 1 (3).JPG

welcome to the forum.

Nice coin all in all

The corrosion is there for life. I would leave it alone not much can be done without making the coin worse.

Grading at this point is a personal preference. It will not straight grade with the corrosion and the scratch in the field so I would not spend the money to grade it.

But it is your call

Thank you very much!! I appreciate the response. I figured that the corrosion will be there forever. Would having it graded and put in a slab insure that the corrosion will not spread? Pretty strong sentimental value, been in my family along with other coins for generations. 

PS like your name, great soda reminds me of my time in Maine.

Given the sentimental value and your willingness to pay to have the coin graded and slabbed regardless of the financial soundness of the decision, send it to NCS. They cannot reverse what corrosion has occurred, but they may be able to stabilize the surface to prevent future corrosion. Yes, it will likely details grade but you have other priorities so, so what??? xD For all the reasons you provided, spend a little money to have this keepsake preserved.

I don't know what kind of conservation could be done, but it's 222 years old so I question how much worse it could possibly get in your lifetime. Slabbing it for sentimental reasons is a good motivation and it's still worth more than the cost.

Its definitely worth getting graded and holdered ( Details Grade ) 

If its worth "preserving" is up to you but I think any contaminants can be neutralized to help keep it looking this way

and not worse.

Environmental damage yes but the details grade is going to be "Fine" or so, not bad

The scratch in front is distracting but in the reverse it almost looks like a CRACK as there is extruded metal … any expert here can verify that for her/him

C00l coin thanks for sharing

1 hour ago, jgrinz said:

Its definitely worth getting graded and holdered ( Details Grade ) 

If its worth "preserving" is up to you but I think any contaminants can be neutralized to help keep it looking this way

and not worse.

Environmental damage yes but the details grade is going to be "Fine" or so, not bad

The scratch in front is distracting but in the reverse it almost looks like a CRACK as there is extruded metal … any expert here can verify that for her/him

I submitted a $20 CC gold piece to NGC for grading and encapsulation.  I used their conservation service and the coin turned out just fine.  In fact they did a very good job on it.

3 hours ago, jgrinz said:

... in the reverse it almost looks like a CRACK as there is extruded metal … any expert here can verify that for her/him

That die crack is one of the things that identifies it as Sheldon-166. (I am no expert, though.)

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

That die crack is one of the things that identifies it as Sheldon-166. (I am no expert, though.)

Neither am I, but I have a copy of Sheldon. You're correct. 1798 Obverse 21 appears in Sheldon 165, 166, and 167. 167 has another die crack, on obverse from the 8 into the drapery; not found on this example. 165 has a chin whisker on the obverse, also not found on this example. Description for 166: "...conspicuous arc crack starting at the rim to the right of E in UNITED, extending in a curve through that letter, through leaves, stem, ribbon, numerator, and right side of final 0 to the rim. The crack becomes heavy. Some specimens have a small rim break over the first T in STATES [not found], and a small break connecting C of CENT with the adjacent leaf [found]."

If I had to take a guess, I'd guess this was middle to late die state, because it has most of the die failure symptoms described (in quite pronounced form), but not all.

The entry also notes that this is the second commonest 1798.

NGC could most likely stabilize the corrosion if the OP wanted to spend the extra money. Since this one isn't about the money but the memories, I'd encourage that. If the goal is full preservation for its own sake, why not get it as preserved as professional know-how can manage?