• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1945 Cyclonite Gaine Brass Disc Cent?

20 posts in this topic

This cent weight's in at 1.88 grams I believe it is the weight of the brass disc in the schematic. I will try to bring up the image but you can get the image from the website. " https://books.google.com/books?id=WoS-BAAAQBAJ&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=1.8+gram+cyclonite&source=bl&ots=XPABUQrhmO&sig=ACfU3U0-INzcXcCzzOR2cwOYjBhOpTM4SA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjyk4bDu7vnAhUUIDQIHc8IDZoQ6AEwAnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=1.8 gram cyclonite&f=false "

The images are going to be of the penny first. If more images can be posted I will try to cite them and post. I am wondering how would I be able to decipher if this really was one of the brass disc's from WW2 as listed on the website above, and can this be certified as such? Is their anyone that was in the 101st Air born Division that could tell me anything more about this particular one? With all the declassifying I thought maybe. Please forgive me if it's cradle to the grave. 

enlarged image 1945 cyclonite gaine planchet.PNG

DSC_0075.JPG

This question is for Frank. Were you one of the Italians from the story? And if you wonder who I am I was the guy who put in the palm tree's. Just so you know Lucky told me he hung out the aircraft and waited to drop but they pulled him back up and told him the war was over. He never talked to me about this thing. You don't owe me anything now Frank. I used what I knew and found the thing online for sale for 28 bucks. I just want to know are you one of the Italians or were you really an American? If by chance you see this message when I heard you talking about baseball I knew to scram! I just want to know is this the one? Just so you know Lucky didn't tell me. I eave's drop!

Here is a coin from a coin roll hunt conducted on 14 september 2016 it is a 98% copper 2% zinc planchett. This coin has a sharp VDB under the bust and is a 1983 brass transitional planchett. I have been told it could be minted on a foreign planchett what do you think it is. The reason I say its brass is because I had a friend test it on his metal detector hand held and it alarmed on the brass setting. The reason I think that it is a transitional planchett is because I found one on ebay certifed and it weighed the same. The planchett weighs 2.97 grams not to be confused with a 1983 bronze planchett weighing 3.1 grams. This coin came from the swanton vermont chittenden bank. Does anyone know anything about this coin that I should consider.

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

If anyone is interested in reading about how to tell an altered steel coated 1953 steel cent from a real steel cent check out the blog on this website labled 1953 steel cent. The original members posted in 2006 so they may have forgot about the discussion but I refreshed the data with some info on some coins I found in change.

I have an update, the coin I thought was a 1945 1.88 gram cyclonite cent is actually called a thin cent which is made using a standard weight penny and dissolving it in acid to make a thin cent. I found information on them online but not before buying another one. I paid $40.00 for a 1951 S 2.40 gram thin cent and it has been graded but I wonder how since the coin is an altered coin. The site with information on the thin cents said their is no extra value. Here's a pic of the coin.  

20221026_102213.jpg

20221026_102120_HDR.jpg

It IS NOT an altered coin.  

Not sure where you get your info, but it's incorrect.  There are damaged cents that are thin because the were soaked in acidic solutions or other environmental environments but that's Not what you have.  Look at the surfaces and see how the resemble a struck coin (maybe a little weak on the high points). Acid coins do not look like that

The first step in the coin making process is rolling an ingot to the proper thickness.  Blanks are punched from This long thin strip.  Occasionally the strip, or parts of it are rolled too thin and the blanks are thin and underweight.  That's what you have.  It's an error coin

Please crop your pics.  When nearly 50% of the pic is blue background, it doesn't help

On 10/26/2022 at 12:26 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

I have an update, the coin I thought was a 1945 1.88 gram cyclonite cent ...

You do realize that Cyclonite is a high explosive used in C-4, Semtex, and other explosive compounds, right? It is not something from which coins are made. 

I made the correction before you posted that. I know now that they are pennies soaked in acid. That is why I clearified that I found that out online. The real question comes into play why would any grading company certify one? I have two like this now.  

On 10/26/2022 at 6:07 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Oh so the certified coin is genuine I thought I bought another acid coin. Thanks

Determining when a coin has been exposed to acid is pretty basic once you've seen a few.  I would say that it's incredibly unlikely that a legitimate TPG would ever mistake an acid damage cent for a struck thin planchet. If you have a slabbed, struck thin planchet in a legit slab, its real.

there are a number of threads showing acid cents in the archives.  Search for them and then compare them to your slabbed coins.  It's good homework that will teach you a lot.  The number one rule of numismatic education is to look at a lot of coins.  It takes time and effort and there are no short cuts.  But that's why those members with decades of experience can quickly answer questions and can be right almost everytime.  When members suggest looking/study certain web sites, or searching archives for old threads, there is a lot of wisdom in those suggestions.  Blow them off at your own risk.

We've seen new collectors show up thinking they know everything then end up on the ignore lists or never come back because they didn't get the answers they wanted.  This site has top level coin authors/researchers, collectors with unbelievable collections as shown in the registry sets, high level dealers, and collectors with decades of experience.  They aren't the guys sitting the end of the local dive bar offering sketchy opinions. I would have killed to have easy access to this knowledge base when I started collecting 50+ years ago.

On 10/26/2022 at 7:30 PM, Oldhoopster said:

....  This site has top level coin authors/researchers, collectors with unbelievable collections as shown in the registry sets, high level dealers, and collectors with decades of experience....

True, but this site would be a lot better with you in it!  C'mon back, Hoop. C'mon back!