• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

coin shipping

4 posts in this topic

Have a very nice 1897s $5 gold. It is in a cardboard holder and has been taped on both sides. Do I have to remove it from holder? If so, what would I use to clean the tape residue without hurting the coin?

43 minutes ago, marcuscoal said:

Have a very nice 1897s $5 gold. It is in a cardboard holder and has been taped on both sides. Do I have to remove it from holder? If so, what would I use to clean the tape residue without hurting the coin?

Are you saying you know there is tape residue on the coin itself?

The holder has a hole in the middle for the coin. Someone put a piece of tape around the holder going across both sides of the coin. It is in contact with coin there. I have not removed the tape yet, so I do know how much is on the coin.

Thanks

Sounds like a typical flip - please be sure the tape is on the coin and not on a very thin layer of mylar plastic that is on the coin. If it's on the mylar, no worries, it's fine. If not:

Given the value of the piece send it to NCS for conservation before grading. If you are not expert in removing tape residue do not try to do so on this coin. Since your title is shipping I assume you've already realized grading would have the authenticity confirmed which is very important if you ever want to sell the coin. There is the chance it is counterfeit in which case you're out the costs but won't have sunk any more money into a losing proposition.

Alternatively, some LCSs do have people who are expert in removing tape, glue, etc with acetone which if done correctly will not hurt the coin. Look in your area for the best coin shop - don't trust internet opinion, find out who the members of the local collector's association use.

Edited by Kirt