• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reliable NGC dealers

19 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, ScottN6 said:

I am new to collecting Ancient NGC coins and am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to what dealers are reputable to do business with.

Thank you.

are you new to collecting coins or just Ancients? What are your goals? There are many outstanding dealers out there, but there are also many charlatans out there. Are you looking for a local dealer - if so, where do you live? 

Harlan Berk is excellent, but may be a bit much if you are just starting on a limited income. Take a look

9 hours ago, Zebo said:

are you new to collecting coins or just Ancients? What are your goals? There are many outstanding dealers out there, but there are also many charlatans out there. Are you looking for a local dealer - if so, where do you live? 

Harlan Berk is excellent, but may be a bit much if you are just starting on a limited income. Take a look

Thanks for your suggestions. I am solely interested in coins of the Bible, which encompasses many coins I know. Right now I am collecting Herodian and Procurator coins of the first and second centuries. After that, I will be concentrating on first century Roman Emperors. 

Sounds to me like Jade Collection has the perfect answer for you. A coin show will have all your local big dealers.You will also be able to compare ancient volume and prices. You may want to brush up on your grading as I don't think much of the old world coins are graded yet and that is a plus for you. Try a few (REALLY) nice raw coins and submit them to NGC.

Edited by Six Mile Rick

IMO Ancients should only be purchased certified for one simple reason: Most have been cleaned many times in 2000 years and have retoned that many times as well making it impossible for a novice to assume what an original coin should look like.

7 hours ago, numisport said:

IMO Ancients should only be purchased certified for one simple reason: Most have been cleaned many times in 2000 years and have retoned that many times as well making it impossible for a novice to assume what an original coin should look like.

Thank you I will look IMO up.

Has anyone heard of Vcoins? The dealers on the website do sell NGC coins, but once again, I am not sure if they can be trusted. Do counterfitters sell fake incapsulated NGC slabs?

If you are primarily interested in encapsulated coins then look through Heritage and Stack's offerings.  They sell many that are NGC graded.  CNG and Shanna Schmidt are also very reliable with raw coins (as is her father Harlan J. Berk).  There are many, many reputable dealers of course but just off the top of my head those three are ones to mention.  Civitas Galleries too, though his are mostly raw as well.  I'm not a huge ancient collector, but I've bought from all of these and more.  Too many to really list, but these are good places to start.