Proof coin values
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Why..... after looking at certain proof coins..... is there such a point difference between back-2-back coins under certain situations?

I have a 1958 Wheat Penny & 1959 Memorial Penny in PF68 Red, but their point values are extreme. The 58' is 5201 points and the 59' is 81 points?!?!?!

NGC coin value difference between the two is $10...… but their point difference is way off the charts! WHY!?!?

Can someone explain why this is so different in many other cases in this nature?

 

Edited by ChrisInJesup
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris, what sets are you referring to that have those scores?  NGC gives each coin two scores - a coin score and a type score.  Year-mint sets use the coin score, and type sets use the type score, so it matters what set you are referring to.

If you are referring to a type set, I believe you are 100% correct!  I believe that the brilliant proof wheat cent type score was accidentally allotted the same scores as for the matte proof type, which is way more rare.  You can read my argument here. (NGC has not responded yet)

 If you are referring to a year-mint set, you still may have a point, but I would need to know the set.

Edited by BlakeEik
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
56 minutes ago, BlakeEik said:

Chris, what sets are you referring to that have those scores?  NGC gives each coin two scores - a coin score and a type score.  Year-mint sets use the coin score, and type sets use the type score, so it matters what set you are referring to.

If you are referring to a type set, I believe you are 100% correct!  I believe that the brilliant proof wheat cent type score was accidentally allotted the same scores as for the matte proof type, which is way more rare.  You can read my argument here. (NGC has not responded yet)

 If you are referring to a year-mint set, you still may have a point, but I would need to know the set.

Hello, BlakeEik.

We responded to your separate post on the Lincoln type scores on Dec. 6th. This is in the queue of pending NGC Registry requests. Right now we are focusing on the multiple slot requests that have accumulated during the "freeze" period and adding all the 2020 slots for the US and all World sets. Type score requests will be reviewed after that. Thank you for your patience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
18 hours ago, BlakeEik said:

Sorry Ali, I should not have said NGC did not respond. I meant they had not resolved it yet. I know you are all busy. 

No worries. Thanks, BlakeEik. We will get to the Lincoln proof type scores as soon as time allows. Please let us know when we may assist in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,

It's been 6 months so I thought I would check on this - how many requests are in front of this one (reducing the type scores for brilliant Lincoln-wheat proofs to a reasonable amount)?

Thank you,

Blake

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
4 hours ago, BlakeEik said:

Hello,

It's been 6 months so I thought I would check on this - how many requests are in front of this one (reducing the type scores for brilliant Lincoln-wheat proofs to a reasonable amount)?

Thank you,

Blake

Hello, BlakeEik.

The Lincoln proof type scores were assessed in November of 2019 and also in March 2020. If you have questions about certain coins, please give us your certification number(s) in question. Thank you.

Edited by Ali E.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ali,

My question was about the type of coins, not a single coin.  I can provide an example if I must.  I guess I'm just frustrated after giving detailed evidence of why there is certainly an oversight in the brilliant proof wheat cents, and I got no rationale, reasoning, or even a reply.

What did the assessment team think of my comments?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
On 6/29/2020 at 6:49 PM, BlakeEik said:

Ali,

My question was about the type of coins, not a single coin.  I can provide an example if I must.  I guess I'm just frustrated after giving detailed evidence of why there is certainly an oversight in the brilliant proof wheat cents, and I got no rationale, reasoning, or even a reply.

What did the assessment team think of my comments?  

Hello, BlakeEik.

Our apologies if there is confusion. The team did review your feedback, and we value collectors' thoughtful input. Type Scores vary greatly from date scores, as we mentioned previously. In a Type Set, the goal is to acquire any coin of a certain type. As such, more valuable and rare dates will get a lower type score, and conversely, a less valuable coin will most likely receive a higher Type score than it will with a Date score in a Date Set, such as in Lincoln Cents, 1909-Date, Proofs. Type scores are an average or median score. So, a certain coin will earn a specific score calculated on the precise coin, year, date, pop., etc., in a Date Set. The same coin in a Type Set will usually earn a lower score with a Type Score applied to it in that set. 

We did just update these Type Scores:

1c Lincoln, Brilliant (1936-1958)

Some of the coins were reflecting date score values for the 1936 Brilliant Proof Cent instead of the Type scores for 1936-1958. If you have any questions or need further clarification, please let us know. We are happy to assist. You may also reach us at registry@NGCcoin.com. Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ali,

That is EXACTLY what I was asking for.  Thank you for facilitating the resolution.  I'm glad they agreed - although my rank dropped in 2 of my type sets, it's better to have realistic scores for each coin. Thank you,  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
2 hours ago, BlakeEik said:

Ali,

That is EXACTLY what I was asking for.  Thank you for facilitating the resolution.  I'm glad they agreed - although my rank dropped in 2 of my type sets, it's better to have realistic scores for each coin. Thank you,  

Good Morning, BlakeEik.

We appreciate your support. Please let us know when we may assist in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2