• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a 250AD Moesia Viminacium Caesar Hostilian Branze coin in poor condition. Is it worth restoring?

5 posts in this topic

I'm fairly a newbie to coin collecting. I bought this 250AD Moesia Viminacium Caesar Hostilian Branze coin in a poor condition. I'm planning to getting it graded and encapsulated. But I wanted to know if it's worth restoring? Will it affect the grading score / will it decrease value? I have attached pictures of the coin.How much would it be worth after restoration?

20200114_112555.jpg

20200114_112608.jpg

A coin cannot be "restored" - only neutralized and protected (i.e., "conserved").

Why pay good money to have this coin put in a plastic slab that says just what you said in your post?

I wouldn't have it worked on or encapsulated. From the color, if it is truly bronze (how do you know that?), it's recently cleaned. I'd tell you more about it if I had weight and diameter (grams and mm).

22 hours ago, JKK said:

I wouldn't have it worked on or encapsulated. From the color, if it is truly bronze (how do you know that?), it's recently cleaned. I'd tell you more about it if I had weight and diameter (grams and mm).

It's 31.7mm in diameter and weighs 19.5 grams

5 minutes ago, Joash_S said:

It's 31.7mm in diameter and weighs 19.5 grams

Great. The other thing I'll ask is that you put the images right side up. It might seem like a small thing, but when trying to research the coin, misorientation is very frustrating.