• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1891CC Morgan Silver Dollar Spitting Eagle?

9 posts in this topic

Found a cool one and am wondering if it's worth sending in to NGC to have graded.  With my limited newbie knowledge I'm putting it at Fine, maybe a little better.  The cool thing though is that I'm almost certain it's a VAM 3 Spitting Eagle.  What do you think?  Should I have it graded?  Thanks in advance and have a good one!  It's FRIDAY!

2020-01-10-181659.jpg

2020-01-10-181722.jpg

2020-01-10-183219.jpg

Looks more like a cigarette smoking eagle to me. Old fashioned unfiltered Lucky Strike. Is that the pack under the eagle's left wing? Or maybe behind the arrow feathers?

Edited by VKurtB

That is a seriously brutal whizzing at some point in that coin's history. In fact, it looks like the whizzing removed a non-zero amount of detail.

Right off VAMWorld:

"This variety is actually the most common die for the 1891-CC. It is actually harder to locate a coin that is not a VAM-3. This common variety should not carry a price premium."

Don't have it graded.

Whizzing means abrasive cleaning, typically with a brush (plastic or wire). It can leave marks that are circular (small Dremel brush) or lateral, as on your coin (like from a brush mounted on a larger rotary tool). Graders would notice it in approximately .75 second, probably leading to what we call a details grade. Not what one hopes for.