• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Philippine Commonwealth and American Coins Inquiry

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I am very new at this coin collecting but I recently saved a bunch of these “junk” coins from being discarded by my parents.  They belong to my grandfather whom I am greatly fond of, he was also notorious for collecting anything American.  Anyways, I would greatly appreciate if you guys could tell me something about these or perhaps an advise whether these will benefi from conservation through NGC or should I leave it the way it is. I am not sure if there is any value of these coins, the rest were minuscule being 5, 10 and 20 cents.  For sentimental reason, I would love to have them restore and slab for longevity.   Seeing and touching them brings back so much memories of my favorite person in the world.  Thanks so much in advance.

2D327234-2AC3-4C92-8F9C-993D111598E2.jpeg

D175EFCA-B4F5-4C6E-8438-4FAF0DF0550E.jpeg

Edited by Blkstng04
Added group

Some information is here https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/philippines-peso-km-172-1907-1912-cuid-1112357-duid-1518523. These coins are 80% silver so discarding them isn't warranted - the one peso has a current melt value of $9.31.

You mention 5, 10, and 20 cent(avos); the 10s and 20s are either 75% or 90% silver depending on date so don't get rid of them! The 5 centavos are copper-nickel; keep the very best for sentimental value. 

Can you explain why you want to conserve these coins? What I see in the two examples you have are circulated silver coins with a really nice patina. Some folks like their coins lighter; however, the patina is appropriate for a Philippine coin of that age - I have a 1913 that is very similar. I wouldn't do a thing to the coins you show other than put them in the plastic case shown.

Thank you so much everyone, I greatly appreciate all the advise.  I will keep them as it is, perhaps just buy the right size coin holder.  

Can I further ask you guy’s expert opinion on these other coins?  Would these American dollar benefit from conservation and grading or would it be better, like the Philippine commonwealth coin be left alone as well?  One of them got a finger stain when my pastor who is a collector looked at it recently, unfortunately.  

Again, I appreciate the advise guys.  I think I will need to educate myself on this nice hobby,  I had been reading some of the blogs and did not realized how complex and intriguing coin collecting are.  I personally love learning the history behind an older coin, I had found our from my mom that most Filipinos buried their coins during the Japanese war to avoid being executed.  I am now awaiting for my 2020 coin collectin book from Amazon. 

You guys are awesome to be helping out a newbie like me, thanks again for your time and expertise!

8D631D70-DC36-4C33-BA22-A24ACAF92A91.jpeg

1CF194D7-EC32-4C48-B66B-57382E747B94.jpeg

As you probably know, those dollars are worth a significant amount. I hate to be critical, but if your pastor is a collector he should know better than to put his finger on the coin. I wouldn't let anybody touch them outside the holders from now on. Others may have advice on the stain (I hesitate to recommend anything specific). Do not attempt to clean any of them without knowing what you're doing. I'd say all of these are worth sending to NGC, since they all appear to be at least XF condition, and even if they get knocked for a previous cleaning, still worth several hundred dollars each.

Oh no!  That is sad, I hope they are not fake.  I do not know how grandpa had acquired them.  He loves collecting US memorabilia’s but only as a hobby.  He probably had them forever.  (He was born around 1900s) He passed away during the early eighties and these 6 liberties were given to me when I was still a kid a long time ago.  

When did they start making fakes?   I was thinking of having them conserve and slabbed for longevity.  I was hoping they could perhaps get rid of the stain.  Anyways, I will send them in and see what happens next, I loved them either or since it’s grandpa’s.

Thanks again everyone for the comments and advises, I appreciate it.  I am definitely learning a lot even just going through these blogs.  Just out of curiosity, how did you guys get into coin collecting?  And do you guys specialize on certain period and such?  I love hearing stories about great finds and such does any one know anything like it?😄

The denticals on all of them are bad.  And then on the 1843's they ALL have the same gash on Liberty's right shin.  It shows best on the center coin top row, but if you look close it is there on all of them to varying degrees.  Five coins with the same contact gash in the same place is not going to happen.

This picture is from the top center coin. 

Leg gash.JPG

Thank you Condor,  I am so impressed on how you had spot that,  I did not even see it and I have the physical coin but it is definitely a great way for a newbie to learn.  I just felt sad that my grandfather got duped.  Anyways, I think I will purchase a good example of this coin to familiarize myself better, I like to start with this period coin.  Could anyone recommend a good site for purchasing?  I had check out heritage auction and Apmex but they are rather too expensive for me.  How do I spot a fake by just looking at photograph on websites?  I am not familiar with any reputable coin store at least in my area, would you guys recommend ebay or perhaps a coin show?

Edited by Blkstng04
Clicked wrong

Thank you Lancek, this is a wealth of information I will definitely be looking into.  I am sincerely grateful for the time and wisdom you and everybody had provided me.  I like to pursue coin collecting as a hobby but did not really know where to start.  I had just gotten my 202 guide book and was amazed at how much info. It had, it even had the commonwealth featured on the last few pages.  I will probably start with the seated liberty since I really prefer older coins, it is just amazing to touch something that is couple of hundred years old.

Thanks again so much!  Everyone was just wonderful.