• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fired Assayer goes AWOL - more archive fun

14 posts in this topic

All sorts of fun stuff in those archive boxes. Maybe Mr. Elias was out looking for the numeral "1" for his typewriter?

:)

23 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

I was diligently searching for some correspondence (OK, not really) saying "Can we get this $%*& typewriter fixed?", and then I ran into this. There was probably never any "1" key!!!

Yes, @DWLange there has to be more to the Elias story.

San Francisco Call, January 21 1900: "Edward Elias Is Dismissed From The Mint - Assayer Receives A Sudden Discharge - Personal Affairs Tangled - Debt And Inattention To Duties The Reasons"

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85066387/1900-01-21/ed-1/seq-27/

Mind, it's on Page 27 and this is the age of yellow journalism...

EDIT: Actually, further down the column and into the 2nd column, the "Answers to Correspondents" is pretty interesting reading.

Edited by Kirt

54 minutes ago, Kirt said:

EDIT: Actually, further down the column and into the 2nd column, the "Answers to Correspondents" is pretty interesting reading.

Indeed it is.  Thanks for the share!

Ah, the old "cocktail route".

There's a lot of "drama" in those old mint records. I've been glossing over most of it, because I'm actually looking for coin-related stuff. Lots of entertainment though, like a letter from a dentist who was clearly melting gold coin to make teeth.

49 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

Ah, the old "cocktail route".

There's a lot of "drama" in those old mint records. I've been glossing over most of it, because I'm actually looking for coin-related stuff. Lots of entertainment though, like a letter from a dentist who was clearly melting gold coin to make teeth.

The Philadelphia Mint went so far as to buy access to dentist mailing lists so they could offer to sell small gold bars direct to users. (At that time, most dentists made their own gold alloy for crowns and other replacement work.)

3 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I was diligently searching for some correspondence (OK, not really) saying "Can we get this $%*& typewriter fixed?", and then I ran into this. There was probably never any "1" key!!!

Typists (is that a word?) were expected to use a lower case "L."

Hello everyone.  I am a distant relative of said Mr Elias and am writing a brief biography of him (spoiler: he came to a sad end).  I’m based in the UK and a lot of the archive materials are not digitalised as far as I can see.  Would anybody be very very kind and help a damsel in distress with any other mentions of Edward Elias they can find? I had not seen the letter posted by @kbbpll so very many thanks for that. A free copy of my book will come your way to say thank you. Deborah

On 3/9/2022 at 2:41 PM, Hambleton said:

Hello everyone.  I am a distant relative of said Mr Elias and am writing a brief biography of him (spoiler: he came to a sad end).  I’m based in the UK and a lot of the archive materials are not digitalised as far as I can see.  Would anybody be very very kind and help a damsel in distress with any other mentions of Edward Elias they can find? I had not seen the letter posted by @kbbpll so very many thanks for that. A free copy of my book will come your way to say thank you. Deborah

I have a considerable archive of US Mint documents and will be pleased to send you anything I might happen to have. I have the originally posted letter, and a prior one, plus a table showing his wages and the employment letter of his successor. I have others from 1899 that might contain additional information. If you PM your email address, I will send you what I can locate. Not sure how helpful all this paper will be in fighting a fiery dragon, but we must protect our supply of damsels. :)

Edited by RWB