• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930 s

10 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Forum.

Please explain what we are supposed to be looking at and show pictures of the whole coin. It is important to see everything and not just a portion of the coin.

Please read the thread posted below yours on "what you need to know about posting coins for inquiry"

Edited by Greenstang

13 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum.

Please explain what we are supposed to be looking at and show pictures of the whole coin. It is important to see everything and not just a portion of the coin.

Please read the thread posted below yours on "what you need to know about posting coins for inquiry"

I add a photo. I've looked around and haven't seen anything similar. Usually the mint mark is over the top of another but this is to the left of it. Just curious to see if anybody has any info on what this could be. 

Is what your seeing raised like the date or is it pushed into the coins surface?  It looks like a die chip or retained cud at first glance but some more info would help

Edited by Coinbuf

2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Is what your seeing raised like the date or is it pushed into the coins surface?  It looks like a die chip or retained cud at first glance but some more info would help

It is definitely raised. I would have loved to got ahold of it in its prime. I found it in some coins I got from my grandfather years ago and finally looked through them.

1 minute ago, Philly8 said:

It is definitely raised. I would have loved to got ahold of it in its prime. I found it in some coins I got from my grandfather years ago and finally looked through them.

It looks like a backwards d when you look at it upside down. 

Sometimes small bits of metal from the die break off and get deposited onto the coin, commonly called die chips; I'm very sure that is what you have here.  If you look at the loop of the nine in the date it appears that there is another small chunk deposited there also; cool little anomalies but doesn't add any value to the coin.

I also think it took some hits that moved metal up. You can see ridges & gouges where something took out the left side of the S and then dug into the coin, raising metal to the left. The 0 in the date is similarly damaged.