• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Registry-PCGS coins accepted into US competitive sets!
5 5

131 posts in this topic

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Just a bit over the top don't you think?

PCGS coins receive the same NGC Registry scores as NGC coins. As of 2020, we are removing the tie-breaking criteria for NGC versus PCGS coins. We will update this page soon: About the NGC Registry.

Edited by Ali E.

20 minutes ago, Kominsky Collection said:

Over the top? Not if you have tens or hundreds of thousands invested. 

Whatever dude you seem to have chip on your shoulder about this because of how it affects you is what I'm seeing.  This tie issue will most likely only apply to modern coin series where collectors are chasing PF70/MS70 coins, the fellow you warned is doing Morgans and the chances of a tie in that series is very small.   If moderns are your thing that's cool but imo having hundreds of thousands invested in moderns is a huge gamble, those coin prices have nowhere to go but down.  And if being the top set in a series is/was a goal then it would be wise to do some research about the scoring system before starting such a set to avoid any disappointments.  I have tens of thousands in my set and I have zero chance of reaching the top spot, for me its all about my collecting goals not awards. 

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Whatever dude you seem to have chip on your shoulder about this because of how it affects you is what I'm seeing.  This tie issue will most likely only apply to modern coin series where collectors are chasing PF70/MS70 coins, the fellow you warned is doing Morgans and the chances of a tie in that series is very small.   If moderns are your thing that's cool but imo having hundreds of thousands invested in moderns is a huge gamble, those coin prices have nowhere to go but down.  And if being the top set in a series is/was a goal then it would be wise to do some research about the scoring system before starting such a set to avoid any disappointments.  I have tens of thousands in my set and I have zero chance of reaching the top spot, for me its all about my collecting goals not awards. 

Lol. We should hang 

8 hours ago, Mk123 said:

@Ali E. Ali, can you explain the reasoning for PCGS coins getting the same scores? Does this mean a 100% PCGS registry here on the NGC site can win an award? That should not be allowed to happen.

It would mean they could win or tie to win a Best in Category award but they could not win an "NGC Best in Category." I also expect they'll continue to require a set to be 75%+ NGC graded to win a major award.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Mk123 said:

@Ali E. Ali, can you explain the reasoning for PCGS coins getting the same scores? Does this mean a 100% PCGS registry here on the NGC site can win an award? That should not be allowed to happen.

Hello, Mk3.

Registry scores are calculated the same for PCGS coins and NGC coins. This has always been the case. This is to ensure a level playing field for all collectors.

1 hour ago, Ali E. said:

Hello, Mk3.

Registry scores are calculated the same for PCGS coins and NGC coins. This has always been the case. This is to ensure a level playing field for all collectors.

Yes. And now this tiebreak rule is going by the wayside to, yes? For the record, I support this. I also support that 75% need to be NGC coins so a PCGS whale can't come in here and dominate. Thanks!!

One of the sets I just added my pcgs graded coins to is the $10 Indian registry. I have 9 of the of the 32 coins, or approximately 25%. I enter my coins and my rank jumped to . . . wait for it . . . #97 out of 238.

So I am thinking WTH? I could see Morgan dollars as being a popular coin to collect, but not $10 Indians. How did $10 Indians get to be such a popular set for collectors?

I do a little digging and I see that someone, probably a coin dealer, going by the moniker X1X1X1 has registered (66) sixty-six $10 Indian registry sets, with many not being updated in years and some not touched since 2010. As far as I can tell none of them have photos, and can’t help but wonder if these sets are still complete or if they have been sold off in the past decade? I wondered if X1X1X1 was an NGC loyalist, as why else would NGC allow a dealer to monopolize the registry for his own commercial purposes to the exclusion of hobbiest. NOPE!  X1X1X1 seems to favor PCGS slabbed $10 Indians.

If X1X1X1 is a dealer (not a collector with 66 sets of $10 Indians), I hope he doesn’t trade in other series I like, because if he does,  that would mean I (as a pure collector) would have little hope of breaking into the top 25.

If on the other hand X1X1X1 is a collector with 66 duplicate sets of $10 Indians (and not a dealer), then it appears X1X1X1 has some serious OCD and should seek help. 😉😎

Rant over. 

More rant? Simpson has a bunch of sets in the NGC registry (for example the #2 proof Morgan Dollar set)- he has subsequently recertified all of these coins with PCGS, put them in sets in the PCGS registry, and not deactivated his NGC sets. So the same exact coins currently occupy the #2 sets in both the PCGS and NGC registries. One set is in PCGS holders, one set is in NGC holders- but they are the exact same coins. 

F2C4F548-4DEE-4587-812D-759E96F93134.jpeg

3C6FE9DB-4DF0-4F4D-8C33-0C2A8A545EC6.jpeg

A485FDA2-7106-4062-9693-3DF8B3D592F4.jpeg

9733CE22-EA1A-4584-A8F2-81E703A6467C.jpeg

With NGC working re-acquire its reputation as the collector friendly registry (though the PCGS registry can legitimately claim some street cred with those cool the dansco looking digital albums for collectors like me who enjoy sharing photos of their coins), maybe it’s also time for NCG to do a little housekeeping to address stale or clearly nonexistent registry entries?

Edited by CSdot

More rant? Simpson has a bunch of sets in the NGC registry (for example the #2 proof Morgan Dollar set)- he has subsequently recertified all of these coins with PCGS, put them in sets in the PCGS registry, and not deactivated his NGC sets. So the same exact coins currently occupy the #2 sets in both the PCGS and NGC registries. One set is in PCGS holders, one set is in NGC holders- but they are the exact same coins. 

I still agree with what someone mentioned: win a award if your set is comprised 75% or more of NGC coins. Come on, whats the point of giving someone a 100% PCGS set a award on the NGC registry? They can win or compete against people on the PCGS registry. Those that have NGC dominant sets should have a chance.

So if the #1 set is 100% PCGS and has a score of 100,000 but the #2 set has a score of 75,000 but comprised of 75% or more NGC coins, they should be the one to win an award. I hope this is still true.

8 hours ago, Mk123 said:

I still agree with what someone mentioned: win a award if your set is comprised 75% or more of NGC coins. Come on, whats the point of giving someone a 100% PCGS set a award on the NGC registry? They can win or compete against people on the PCGS registry. Those that have NGC dominant sets should have a chance.

So if the #1 set is 100% PCGS and has a score of 100,000 but the #2 set has a score of 75,000 but comprised of 75% or more NGC coins, they should be the one to win an award. I hope this is still true.

I like the old way where the 100,000 point PCGS set would win Best in Category but the 75,000 point set would win Best NGC Set in Category. 

I wonder if anyone at NGC with authority is even listening to us lolol :)

I hope so- as I mentioned previously I buy coins, not holders- so I have a mix of NGC and PCGS. Honestly I don't care what holder a coin comes in if it's the right coin for me, and I have never crossed over a coin. I was active in the NGC Registry but not the PCGS Registry because NGC accepted both PCGS and NGC coins, and when NGC dropped PCGS coins I stopped posting to the Registry. Now I'm coming back, as I suspect others are as well, and I hope they will do more to clean up the Registry.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Mk123 said:

Hello, Mk123.

Thanks for your interest. For 2020, we will still offer Best-in-Category and NGC Best-in-Category awards. 

• Administrator
12 hours ago, FloridaFacelifter said:

F2C4F548-4DEE-4587-812D-759E96F93134.jpeg

3C6FE9DB-4DF0-4F4D-8C33-0C2A8A545EC6.jpeg

A485FDA2-7106-4062-9693-3DF8B3D592F4.jpeg

9733CE22-EA1A-4584-A8F2-81E703A6467C.jpeg

Hello, Florida Facelifter.

Thanks for your support of NGC. If you can provide some type of proof of involving the certification numbers, we can look into removing this set. Thank you.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, FloridaFacelifter said:

The coins are identical- coin for coin. That's why I posted two photos showing identical proof Morgans with identical toning. It's a small community- Laura at Legend is his dealer, she is also probably the one who posted both sets and crossed the coins.

Thank you for the information, FF. We will research this.

19 hours ago, FloridaFacelifter said:

I know for certain that there are a number of sets in the NGC registry that contain coins that have been crossed, shows a severe lack of honesty, and ethics by the dealers and collectors that do this imo.  A few months ago I was involved in a "conversation" with a member of the PCGS chat board who was boasting about crossing an NGC + coin that crossed at grade but didn't retain the +.  He flat out said that he fully planned to continue using the old NGC + grade in the registry here, to say the least he was not very pleased when I posted how I think about that type of bs.  I also pointed out that by not returning the cert to NCG he was keeping the pops artificially inflated, his reply was along the lines of "who cares its NGC".  He received a number of atta-boy type of replies form many members of that board.

Thank God.  You have no idea how happy this makes 99% of collectors (or perhaps you do). The reason we came here was your Registry gave us a place where we didn't have to choose a service, but could merely purchase the best coins available in their class.  In my opinion, NGC's Registry (particularly for Indian Cents) is far superior to the mishmash of the PCGS Registry.  I was so ticked off after the untimely decision a couple years ago, I joined PCGS and crossed over many of my best NGC coins (about 80% of them crossed, several at a premium).  While I am certainly not pleased with the hassle and expense, I can once again select the best coins for my collection, irrespective of the slab.  Thank you for finally correcting this.  I am on board 100% and will begin buying NGC once again.  I have a feeling most ardent collectors agree with me.

19 hours ago, Hugh Stiel Rare Coins said:

Start the certificates Printing “Hanson” 

errh... you mean Hansen?  yeah, now he can dominate at NGC, too...  But at least if he does come over here, there is the "NGC best" category, and I believe most of his collection is PCGS, no?  So...just extremely dominant, not absolutely dominate perhaps? doh!

On 12/12/2019 at 5:01 PM, Maribeth - NGC Admin said:

Hello Walkerfan, 

Please clear your cache and try again.  I was able to log in as you and the option was available to me.  Thank you for your interest in NGC.

Once P.C.G.S.OK's these coins were can I view them I had them up but of course I hit the wrong button! Thanks Mike

On 1/18/2020 at 12:08 PM, BlakeEik said:

errh... you mean Hansen?  yeah, now he can dominate at NGC, too...  But at least if he does come over here, there is the "NGC best" category, and I believe most of his collection is PCGS, no?  So...just extremely dominant, not absolutely dominate perhaps? doh!

There's always World coins? I hear this guy doesn't go for those as much and PCGS isn't allowed for non-US.

Edited by Revenant
Spelling