• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Registry-PCGS coins accepted into US competitive sets!
5 5

131 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if you've managed to streamline the process in this new system. In the past, we'd enter in a PCGS certification number and, if I remember right, an NGC employee would have to manually check it / confirm it and add it to our registry and our set, and this could take a few days. Will this (still) be the case with the new system or have you found a way to automate the process?

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I'm wondering if you've managed to streamline the process in this new system. In the past, we'd enter in a PCGS certification number and, if I remember right, an NGC employee would have to manually check it / confirm it and add it to our registry and our set, and this could take a few days. Will this (still) be the case with the new system or have you found a way to automate the process?

Hello, Revenant.

Thanks for the inquiry. There will be a brief waiting/verification period after a collector enters a PCGS coin into his/her NGC Registry.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, SSB Coins said:

Do you just add the PCGS number in the slot. I did and nothing responded. 

Hello, SSB Coins.

If you click the green plus sign, you should get a pop-up box like this. You will need to click on the appropriate grader and then enter your cert. number. If you don't, you may need to clear your cache or log out and log in again. Let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Add Coin w arrow NEW.JPG

Edited by Ali E.

19 minutes ago, Walkerfan said:

When I try to add; I don't get a PCGS option.  What is wrong?  Last night I even had trouble adding an NGC coin.  

Hello Walkerfan, 

Please clear your cache and try again.  I was able to log in as you and the option was available to me.  Thank you for your interest in NGC.

24 minutes ago, BfloGrl said:

Hello Walkerfan, 

Please clear your cache and try again.  I was able to log in as you and the option was available to me.  Thank you for your interest in NGC.

Thank You.  I just did that and it worked.  Also, I accidentally added a PCGS coin that is already entered, so it won't need to be done over.  Thanks again!  

Edited by Walkerfan

2 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

.  Y'all are announcing this like it is some major upgrade or new feature. 

How about you acknowledge that this is reversing a wildly unpopular decision made a few years ago? A decision which turned many people off your brand, and saw your business hurt as a result of the negative publicity? 

How about an apology to all of the collectors insulted and betrayed by this bad decision? 

Do you think our memories are so short? 

(this isn't direct at you, Ali, you've always been very helpful - this is directed at the owners and bosses of NGC, and especially the one who wrote a lengthy opinion piece to try and justify his decision even after all of the negative feedback)

Everyone knows it was a bad decision. 

No need to try to rub it in their faces. 

Just be glad that they did the right thing for themselves and for us 

Edited by Walkerfan

50 minutes ago, unnut said:

What about world coins? Why is this not available for world coins too?

The NGC registry never accepted PCGS World Coins, even before their change to exclude US coins. 

This is merely restoring the Registry to where it was 3 years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Davids5104 said:

autobuild set feature does not select my PCGS coins.  thanks

Turns out you have to wait for your coins to "be approved by an admin"

Check the "See pending additions" link and you should see your PCGS additions there.

Also, why roll out this new feature and NOT have bulk add?  Are we hoping this news is well received by PCGS collectors with just a single coin or maybe two?  That was a lot of clicking.

1 hour ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

The NGC registry never accepted PCGS World Coins, even before their change to exclude US coins. 

This is merely restoring the Registry to where it was 3 years ago. 

Not true. World coins graded by PCGS were allowed until 2012. There was no grandfathering when that rule changed.

9 hours ago, Ali E. said:

The NGC Registry now accepts PCGS coins in US competitive NGC Registry sets. Please let us know your feedback and questions. Read more

I for one am very pleased that you have added the feature to allow PCGS graded coins as well as the NGC's! I had commented a few years ago that it would be great if we could have both top companies allowing it, to help keep up with our inventory, especially while away and able to double check to see if a certain coin is needed to add to our sets! I know I have gone into different places on vacation and found coins that were graded and would have liked to know for certain if it was the right coin needed, I have duplicates because of it! Thanks for doing this, I think most people would probably agree! But also, I am sure there will be some that don't like the change, if they don't, they don't have to use the feature! I've received coins as gifts and some friends and family don't know that there are different companies and that some folks only want one particular companies slab! Thanks again, Dave

2 hours ago, ChrisinATX said:

Turns out you have to wait for your coins to "be approved by an admin"

Check the "See pending additions" link and you should see your PCGS additions there.

Also, why roll out this new feature and NOT have bulk add?  Are we hoping this news is well received by PCGS collectors with just a single coin or maybe two?  That was a lot of clicking.

NGC does not have a direct link type of access to the PCGS database (PCGS would not allow that I'm sure) so with no direct access there is no ability to do a bulk add.  That is also why each coin must be verified by an NGC representative before it can be added to a set.

5 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

NGC does not have a direct link type of access to the PCGS database (PCGS would not allow that I'm sure) so with no direct access there is no ability to do a bulk add.  That is also why each coin must be verified by an NGC representative before it can be added to a set.

I mean.. without the grade, they can't use PCGS's API on their site to verify the coins..  so how WILL this work exactly? 

4 hours ago, unnut said:

What about world coins? Why is this not available for world coins too?

The reason cited when they were removed in 2012 is that there are differences in how PCGS and NGC label / designate some world coins / series and this made it hard for them to do the.manual checking. It was said that they had to do away with PCGS world coins to allow them to expand the registry to include more countries / world competitive categories - and that part of the registry has grown massively in the last 7 years.

12 hours ago, Walkerfan said:

I think that was the fairest way.  Now, we can all start fresh for next year.  

11 hours ago, Revenant said:

Agreed. For a change like this you want to start fresh with a new year for everyone to add, plan and build.

Well, they could have made the change a few weeks ago. 

Or a few months ago. 

Or a few years ago. 

Or, they could have listened to their fans and never made the change in the first place. 

Edited by physics-fan3.14