• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My complaint to the BBB for a leading retailer.

14 posts in this topic

Please allow up to thirty days to hear from the Bureau regarding your complaint.

Note: Please check the information below, and go back and change as necessary using the navigation bar on the left side of the complaint form.. When correct press "Submit" Below to submit your complaint to the BBB. You will receive a confirmation e-mail after submitting.

Customer Information:

Mr.Victor Easley

victor_easley@hotmail.com

Company Information

New World Rarities, Ltd.

670 Old Willets Path Rd.

Hauppauge, NY, UNITED STATES, 11788

Complaint Information

Complaint Type: General Complaint

Date Received: 5/19/2005

Primary Complaint Classification: Selling Practices

Secondary Complaint Classification: Advertising

Complaint:

This has been a 2 month ordeal dealing with New World Rarities, ltd. I initially made a $761 order mid March with Elliott. I waited two weeks w/o receiving the order. I called them and found out that the order never was filled with no record of the transaction. I made another order then for $3409. I waited two weeks and still heard nothing despite them charging my credit card for the full amount 10 days before I made the 2nd call. Elliott states that they are trying to fulfill my order. I say I do not want a partial refund but for my order to be filled. He says "ok". Yet, the next day my cc was refunded $1156. They finally processed the order 4/28/05 after a delay of over a month from my initial order. The salesman was very obtuse and kept repeating items which I did not order. When I finally received my order, two coins which I did not order were enclosed and also two problem coins were sent. I specifically told Elliott not to send problem coins and don't send me coins I already have. He agreed. So, I had to incrue the expense of returning these coins via registered mail on May 5, 2005. I waited a week and emailed Elliott without receiving a reply. I waited another week until today, 5-19-05; and still never received a reply. They owe my cc $363 in credit.

This company has a reputation of using near "boiler room" tactics. I am a knowledgable numismatist did not submit to their sales tactics. I knew that eventually I would not be cheated since I did use my credit card to make the purchase. The add they used was for modern coins (which new collectors statistically collect). This was a lead add to draw in new clientel even though they did not have the items in stock nor deal in moderns. This add was placed in March's "Coin Values" supplement to "Coin World" released the first week of every month. The following April's issue had the identical add with the same prices. Yet, in March, I was charged higher prices than were advertised. Very poor business and very poor customer service!!!Vic

Desired Settlement: Refund

Desired Settlement Explanation :

This is one of the most customer-un-friendly company which I have ever dealt with for the following reasons: 1)Boiler room tactics. 2)Poor resolution for complaints. 3)Use of lead adds with no intention of filling the complete order. 4)Problem coins. 5)Sends unordered items. 6)Ignores orders from lead add. 7)Will not answer e-mails. 8)Charged my credit card for advertised products that they do not even have 9)Leaves the customer in the dark about their order.10)Still no $363 refund.

Customer Service Rep: Mr.Elliott ,

Product or Service: misc. modern commemorative silver dollars

Model Number: n/a

Account Number:

Order Number: order # 0025086

Salesperson: Mr.Elliott

Payment Made: Yes

Purchase Price: 3409

Disputed Amount: 363

Payment Method: Credit

Purchase Date: 4/28/2005

Problem Date: 3/31/2005

Complaint Dates: 4/21/2005,5/12/2005,5/19/2005

The Bureau that will handle your Complaint is :

Long Island BBB

399 Conklin St

Farmingdale,NY 11735 -2618

Email: complaints@newyork.bbb.org

URL: www.newyork.bbb.org

Phone: (212)533-6200

Fax: (516)420-1095

Victor, I'm not up on what a CC company will or will not do for their clientele in this situation, but have you contacted them yet? Have you asked if they can pull the entire purchase amount or just the refund amount? Do you have NWRs phone number? If so, have you tried to talk to them or this Mr. Elliot? Have you contacted "Coin Values" re the NWR ad? Have you returned the problem and not ordered coins? Did you get any of your original coin order? Were they "as expected" (quality/grade) for the price?

You've given us the complaint filed with the BBB but very little information regarding your actions/options. As I agree they've handled your order and concerns very poorly, answers regarding my questions would complete the picture.

Victor, I'm not up on what a CC company will or will not do for their clientele in this situation, but have you contacted them yet? Have you asked if they can pull the entire purchase amount or just the refund amount? Do you have NWRs phone number? If so, have you tried to talk to them or this Mr. Elliot? Have you contacted "Coin Values" re the NWR ad? Have you returned the problem and not ordered coins? Did you get any of your original coin order? Were they "as expected" (quality/grade) for the price?

You've given us the complaint filed with the BBB but very little information regarding your actions/options. As I agree they've handled your order and concerns very poorly, answers regarding my questions would complete the picture.

David,

I suspected that there would be problems with this company but, as stated, was not too worried since I always have the option of contacting my credit card company. I will not take this action yet for another couple of weeks if they don't make good on the refund. I rooted myself in patience before I made this particular order. I'm still not raging mad, just a little irked. The coins which I did keep were acceptable US Mint products. I just want the refund mentioned. As stated, I returned the unacceptable items May 5, 2005 and have not receive a reply. I emailed the saleman at 0700 this morning telling him my intended course of action but I never received a reply. elliotte@att.net

re: You've given us the complaint filed with the BBB but very little information regarding your actions/options.

Dave, I may have lost some objectivity but I thought that I covered most of the questions which you asked in the initial report. I opt now to wait to see if NWR will resolve this. If not, then I will have to take further action.

I do believe, however, that a caveat emptor is warranted in this case with this organization.

I have been upfront, honest and patient with NWR, ltd, but am still struggling to conclude my order. Details as were stated.

Vic, I wouldn't wait to notify your CC company. At least to find out what they can or will do for you regardless of the time that has passed and your BBB complaint. Certainly can't hurt! And the only reason I mention this is because the BBB will take time to filter through the various people involved and your CC may have time frames for when they will or will not refund or take action.

Again, I don't know how they work but can't hurt to find out. (Unless you've done it before and already know the answers).

Thanks David. Sound advice. I do know that it only takes a day to process a credit card refund. They have had two weeks, minus one week for registed mail delivery, to make good. I e-mailed the salesman last Thursday informing him of the return w/o a response. I e-mailed him first thing this morning and still have not received a response nor a refund. The question is: should I also forward a complaint to the ANA and, as you suggested, to Coin World? Thanks for the input. Hopefully, you all can tell that this is not a rant but WE should be aware of the disreputable dealers out there!

Mark Feld, on the otherhand, is one of the best businessmen and coin dealers there is!!! He has quality products, great business ethics, high integrity, no postage even with returns and often below retail prices. But he doesn't deal in raw modern commems so that is why I went with NWR. There prices were a little better than the competitors which is why I went with them.

Bottom line is that I got most of my order with quality coins and three or four key-date coins at better prices but with all of the work involved in obtaining my order, I really don't think that it was worth it.

I just ordered four more of the modern dollar commems from John Paul Sarosi (which is generally a decent business). Now, I only have ten coins to fill my Dansco album! 10 out of 108 ain't bad! I've been working on the collection for a couple of years now and with its near completion, a banana dance is in order!!

Y yay.gifE yay.gifA yay.gifH yay.gif!

victor i hope this has a successful conclusion

sounds like bait and switch to me

they should not advertise coins they do not have ready to sell and ship

if you call they should tell you look we are out of these specific coins and they should not have charged your credit

Victor, I would have reported them to the CC Fraud Division a month ago as well as the BBB. It sounds as though they play bait and switch with no intention of filling your order. You are certainly more patient then I.

Victor, I agree with everyone else. They have had their opportunities to remedy the situation. Don't wait any longer. Report them to your CC provider. In the meantime, call them every day and ask to speak to the president of the company. Don't settle for just any peon.

Chris

Well, they finally made good on the refund:

**** POSTED TRANSACTIONS ****

05/20/2005 7694 MC US MINT SALE- - WASHINGTON- DC $32.00 CR

05/20/2005 0101 MC NEW WORLD RARITIES - HAUPPAUGE NY $363.00 CR

Yet, they never e-mailed me, called me or nothing of the sort. Very, very poor communication. Very, very poor business in my experience. It is only because I have online banking that I noticed the refund.

Be extremely careful in dealing with these folks!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Perhaps I'm missing something here but why would you continue to patronize these folks? For whatever the reason they don't seem to be the kind of people you would want to do business with.

Perhaps I'm missing something here but why would you continue to patronize these folks? For whatever the reason they don't seem to be the kind of people you would want to do business with.

Simple: They had the best prices which I have seen and there was no risk of a loss since I used my credit card. I was willing to risk a song and dance routine for the sake of my collection.

Oh! That was the first and last time that I will ever do business with them. I would never have considered purchasing a type coin from them for my primary collection.

I believe they are ANA members. Are you going to pursue that path?

Nope. Now that I got my refunds and my order, the case is closed as far as I'm concerned.

It's a shame, however, that dealers such as these give the whole industry a black eye. Similar to the Ohio state investment fund.

i am happy you gave them a second chance and when they did not come through you finally got your credit refund on your card

i see using a credit card is smart on purchases from out of state people you do not know

and of course time to find another dealer