• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 Penny Mint Error or Damaged?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a 1981 Penny that has teeny holes throughout the entire penny on both sides. It also has what looks like errors in the words as if it rubbed on something before the words were set in.  See pictures. At first I thought it was a damaged coin from perhaps a disposable sink, but then saw the errors in the lettering. There are multiple, but am showing closeups of Liberty and One.  Would welcome feedback.  Thanks in advance.

Penny81a.jpg

Penny81.jpg

Penny81b.jpg

Penny81c.jpg

Just a badly damaged coin, not errors. Looks like it has been sitting on the road and been run over a few times. AKA road rash

Remember, it's only an error if it happens during the actual striking of the coin. Anything that happens after that is considered damage. There are a limited number of things that can cause an error but there are countless things that can cause damage.

Welcome to the Forum.

Unless you have the same CENT, it cannot be the same. You might have a damaged cent with similar damage.

Please supply a clear photo of both sides of the coin when making inquires or  else we are just guessing.. 

That would have been a candidate for my "Good, Bad and Ugly" road rash short set.  But how could that possibly be something which occurred during the coin production process in order for it to be an error, and which part of the process?

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7765/learn-grading-mint-errors-part-1/

US Mint Coin Production Diagram.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Keep in mind that maybe about 10-12 years ago, someone won aa ANA convention gold medal for a comprehensive exhibit, gathered over many years, of road rash.  

On 5/3/2023 at 7:53 AM, Kim96786 said:

Strange… I have the EXACT same penny - same damages in the same areas! Can’t be post mint damage (?)

Wrong.

On 4/13/2024 at 5:32 PM, Jumpinjo2019 said:

I also have a 1981 with very similar marks and holes.

17130438811698062779219523214742.jpg

1713043939053350100693766425394.jpg

Yes, another road rash cent. There are tons of these out there! Welcome to the forum.

I think we all have at least one. Some are just more damaged than others. This is not an error, it is a parking lot coin as we say.

S20240412_0001.jpg

S20240412_0002.jpg

On 4/13/2024 at 8:19 PM, J P M said:

I think we all have at least one. Some are just more damaged than others. This is not an error, it is a parking lot coin as we say.

S20240412_0001.jpg

S20240412_0002.jpg

Indeed. I had a dime I thought was an error because of the same reason. I did some reading on this site and that put me straight. That's a nicely damaged coin btw.