• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 Pa Quarter experimental metal

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering if this coin is experimental metal used on the 1999 state quarters.  I have two of these but one of them looks like toning but this one doesn't.  I was going to toss it in the reject file but decided to see if this might be a keeper. 

The first picture shows it with a normal coin and the second picture is a close up as well as the third shot.  It definitely glows gold when you put the camera light on it.

Thanks for your help on this.  

pa state quarter ex planchet.JPG

S20190921_0018.jpg

S20190921_0009.jpg

S20190921_0016.jpg

More than likely gold plated. When these State  quarters first came out, they were being gold plated by the thousands aftermarket and sold as souvenirs and novelties. There is no extra value to them to a coin collector but for a quarter, you could keep for what it is, a novelty.

Yes the pictures do make it look that way because I wanted to show it up close and the light really accentuates it.  Here is a better picture of it from a further distance away.  It doesn't look plated there.  I just thought it was toning originally.   It is so hard to get the right picture.  It is very lightly toned.  I had to ask my husband if he could tell a difference in the two coins and he said yes one is slightly toned.  It doesn't look gold plated but again I am not an expert so I will trust your judgement more than mine.  Thanks again for taking the time to look at it.

pa state quarter exp planchet 2.JPG

Thanks for letting me know to check the edge of the coin.  I checked it and it is copper clad.  I found an article from Mike Meyers saying most of the coins were heavier so I weighed mine and it was 5.6 which is right on the mark.  So I guess I will put this baby back into the reject pile.  Thanks again.